Password field doesn't get focus when app opens

Options

I've asked about this before but it is still driving be absolutely nuts. Will you please figure out how to make the password field acquire focus when I launch the app. Right now the window appears but the cursor is not in the field and when I start typing it ends up opening the start menu because it thinks I'm searching for something to run. It doesn't do this on the Mac and no other program that I have fails to acquire focus when its window appears. There simply must be a way to fix this.

Please save me

1Password Version: 6.8.496
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DoctorDan: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Window focus is handed entirely by the OS, which is why it doesn't work the same on Windows as it does on macOS. We've tried a number of things to try to trick Windows into focusing 1Password more reliably, but that doesn't always work. The best thing you can do is not interact with anything else when opening the app, and Windows will hopefully respond by focusing the new window then. We'll see if there's something else we can do, but this is just something I've had to get used to with 1Password, browsers, and other apps on Windows for the most part.

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. The problem only occurs if it auto-launches on login. If I start in manually and there are no other windows open it works perfectly. If I start it manually and there are other windows open it starts behind all the other windows and, of course, doesn’t get focus. Most (all?) other apps that I have open on top when launched and do get focus.

• @DoctorDan: At the simplest level, what we do is ask Windows nicely to give us focus, but at the end of the day we cannot force Windows to comply. Still, I've not often seen the main app fail to start on top at the very least, whether or not it actually gets focus as we'd like aside. Is this a universal issue for you where it will never come to the front with another window open, regardless of what other windows exist? For example, if you have your browser open on the start page, then launch 1Password, does it open behind the browser? That would be unexpected based on my experience. Thanks!

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member
    Options

First of all, I have the icon in the quick launch bar.
    With it not set to load on login, the first time I open it it comes to the front. If I minimize it and then click the icon in the quick launch bar, it returns to its original size but behind everything else. The second time I do this it restore to the front.

It's been some time since I programmed singletons but I don't recall ever seeing this behavior. Perhaps I just never exercise this scenario.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

Ah yes. I knew I recalled something about that. ;)

I don't think really anyone has exercised that bahaviour — perhaps including Microsoft! I doubt it's a high priority for them, given that most folks nowadays are, like me, fairly ignorant of the continued existence of Quick Launch; but perhaps they'll smooth out some of these things in time, since they'll seemingly be working on Windows 10 forever, rather than building a brand new OS release periodically. Cheers! :)

ref: UJE-93913-523

• JasonD1
    JasonD1
    Community Member
    Options

I'm gonna suggest that 1Password stop offering or offer a deactivation of that mode the mini-window. I also have experienced this annoyance.
    I would like an option that allows me to instead block the mini-window popup and force me to go enter my password in the main windows app. Why? Because Chrome pops the mini-window up, but the OS doesn't change the focus, so we see two flashing cursors one in the mini window and another in the web site. Guess what? We end up typing our master password into the web site, hit enter and say "cr*p" I didn't want to do that... This is worse than having a keyboard logger installed on the PC and makes for bad workflow. Either fix it and guarantee (prevent keyboard entry to the web site while the dialog is being unblocked) or let me disable it so that I can be forced to login to the main 1Password page and then come back to the web site and execute the ctrl+\ for the login.

Doe that make sense? And yes, it's super annoying and driving me crazy also. I was hoping this brand new fancy looking version, shiny brand new 7.0.558 would work, but it's still badly broken. This is a show stopper for me. Faking me out with a dialog like that that doesn't have the focus. scream Ok, hope I've made my point. Feel free to get in touch if you need a video or something.

Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JasonD1: Unfortunately it isn't something broken in 1Password or we'd fix it. I think that would make a lot of sense if more people we're experiencing this issue with Chrome on Windows, but as far as I know you're only the second to actually see it display two text cursors at once. That shouldn't actually be possible on Windows at all, and we might not have believed it as a result except that one user kindly sent a screen recording of it when it happened. Unfortunately this isn't something any of us are able to reproduce here, so if it's something you're able to reproduce consistently we're definitely interested! It may help us figure out what's different about your system and perhaps find some workaround. If you can restart your PC, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report that would be awesome:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#ZAH-42541-619]

If you’re reading this and you are not JasonD1, this Support ID is for JasonD1 only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Please include as much detail as you can. Let me know once you've sent it. Thanks in advance!

ref: ZAH-42541-619

This discussion has been closed.