password history

In the process of logging into a site, I was asked to change my password. 1PasswordX filled in my old password, and then I generated a new one, and then I clicked the wrong button and over-wrote the old password entry.

And now I can't find any way to get it back!

Is there a Password History option for 1PasswordX that I just can't find, and if not, can y'all add it please? It's the only way to recover in these situtations...

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.5.4
OS Version: linux (chrome 63.0.3239.108)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Thanks for reaching out, @haraldwithtwoehs.

Depending on when and where you "clicked the wrong button", you may be able to use the Previously Used Password feature to find your old password. Take a peek by finding your item in the 1Password pop-up and then click Edit to go to open the full view of your item in a new tab. You don't actually want to edit anything so click Cancel once the tab finishes loading. From there you should see a Show Previously Used Passwords button near the bottom of your item. Clicking it will show you every password that this item ever had. Here's how it looks for my Evernote login:

As you can see I've been testing Change Password on my Evernote account lately šŸ™‚

If your password isn't there, another place it might be stored in the web form details. It depends on how the website was designed so click the Show web form details button just above the previously used passwords one and see if it's there.

Hopefully you find it but regardless, you're right, we should add a full password history feature to 1Password X. This is something we're actively considering and hope to add in a future release.

I hope that helps. Take care,

++dave;

• haraldwithtwoehs
    haraldwithtwoehs
    Community Member

I couldn't find a Password History button even in the web-based editor, but it turns out that was expected behaviour.

I thought 1Password had saved the new auto-generated password during the process, but etiher I didn't click the "Save" button properly or something else failed; when I look at the entry in my Vault it has a last-modified date of Oct 8th 2017.

Now I'm more confused though - I manually edited this password entry (and clicked save :) on Sunday (and on this computer, not a different one) but 1Password web is still showing the old password and the old last-modified date. I know it saved the new one because I used it to login automatically after doing the password reset.

There was definitely something strange going on on Sunday night, but I can't duplicate it now. I just went through the whole password reset process again, and this time the entry on the web shows a last modified date of today and a password history.

Sorry for the confusion,

--
    Harald

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@haraldwithtwoehs: Not at all, I'm sorry for the trouble you experienced, and that it isn't clear exactly what happened. We'll continue testing things to see if there's something that needs to be addressed. So thank you for bringing this up! Just to double-check, are you certain you didn't save it to a different account or vault than you were expecting? That could account for why you're not seeing it there.

• haraldwithtwoehs
    haraldwithtwoehs
    Community Member

haha I did search all vaults just in case. I'm going to chalk this one up to cosmic rays or leprechauns or something :)

• I knew about the cosmic rays but forgot all about the leprechauns. We need password history and we need it soon! šŸ˜‚

• haraldwithtwoehs
    haraldwithtwoehs
    Community Member

Okay, I found the "missing" password. It was saved as a new entry called simply "Change Password", rather than overwriting the existing entry. I now blame "controlled flight into terrain" (aka PEBKAC) instead of cosmic rays :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@haraldwithtwoehs: Ah, that's both a relief and yet more reason we need to get the password history feature in 1Password X. I'm glad you figured it out, but it shouldn't be that confusing! Thanks for your feedback and sharing this with us. :blush:

• sebibob
    sebibob
    Community Member

When can we expect password History in 1password x? It is a really helping and important Feature.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sebibob: Thanks for getting in touch! We don't discuss timelines for unreleased stuff publicly, but it's really helpful to know this is something you'd like us to add to 1Password X. Cheers! :)

• sebibob
    sebibob
    Community Member

Ok. I understand.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry I don't have more to share with you now, but that gives us both something to look forward to. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.