Password not completing at Duke Energy

Hello! Is anyone having luck signing in at Duke Energy with 1Password? My username will be filled in, but the password field won't populate. Password won't go in when using the browser extension shortcut (Command-Backslash) either.

https://www.duke-energy.com/my-account/sign-in

I'm using Safari (v11.1) on a Mac. Thanks! —michael

1Password Version: 6.87
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4 beta
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Thanks for reaching out to us, @michaelregoli. Although I don't have an account with Duke, I was able to get 1Password to correctly fill dummy credentials into both fields by manually saving a Login item. Can you try saving a new Login item using the guide linked below and see if that works for you?

How to save a Login manually in your browser

Let me know how it goes!

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

@michaelregoli

Well I was not having an issue... , just last week it was working, something must have changed. I saved a new login and I am successfully filling both fields now. Thanks for the post, I knew it was broken, before needing to login, and pay the bill. :)

@DaltonD has the details in his post on saving a new login.

• michaelregoli
    michaelregoli
    Community Member

Thanks @DaltonD and @thightower! I followed the manual saving of login items per the link, but the password doesn't get saved in 1Password. The screen shot shows the newly-created entry, and it doesn't have a password. (The "strength meter" shows just a spot of red.)

When I edit the entry, the password field is blank. So I put my password into the field, save, and try again. Still no luck: It goes back to the original behavior of not filling in the password.

I put a copy of the "web form details" screen below, if it's helpful. In both screen grabs, my username has been masked out in yellow. Thanks again! —michael

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

@michaelregoli

That is so weird, today AGAIN, I am not able to fill the login.

So doing a little troubleshooting on my end. I place the values in the fields and save the login. 1P or something on the page doesn't allow pick up of the password during save and something on the page is blocking filling of the password even after manually editing the saved login to include the password.

Looks like during my save from last night, the login was accepted due to my having previously typed the password in the field, in reality all 1P was doing was filling the username.

@DaltonD Looks like this one is back in your cart.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @michaelregoli & @thightower,

So what we have here is one of my pet peeves, it's the "let's make the password field look like it does on iOS" trick where the password field is actually a text field and they change its stored text into ••••s as you type. HTML has the password type for an input field and it's perfect for the job so why not use it? I get why iOS does this, mashing a virtual keyboard is error prone so displaying the last character is useful but iOS does this on real password input fields rather than this surface level fakery.

My complaining aside, my hope is a small tweak to a newly saved Login item should be sufficient to fix this.

Here is a freshly saved Login item for their sign-in page. As you can see I'm in edit mode and looking at the web form details.

To adjust the item I first flag the field immediately below the user id field as being the password field. The field type is still text, but this field represents your password. I then replace the value of the field from it's current •••••••o to my "real" password peekaboo.

Now I ran into one odd piece of 1Password behaviour that may just be in the version I'm testing but when I flagged the field as being the password field 1Password added an extra field at the bottom of the web form details list which I had to delete before 1Password would fill properly. I don't know why it added a field and I'll have to file a bug report but it's worth keeping an eye out for it in case the stable version does it too. Anyway, at the end it should look like this:

Now I don't have a real account at Duke's to test with but I'm feeling fairly confident that this should work. Please let me know if it doesn't.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

@littlebobbytables

All good from my testing with a couple of login attempts. Funny I changed the login details you mention and never got it to work, BUT that was the erroneous filed you mention as being saved as I had to delete it and never noticed it till you mentioned it. I was editing that field vs the one directly under the user name.

Thanks

Oh any reason 1Password is saving the URLS of the youtube videos Duke plays on the main login page. I assume its due to they fact the URLS are part of the page during the save. I just edit the login to remove them.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

So all of my initial testing was done on https://www.duke-energy.com/my-account/sign-in and I didn't realise about the embedded sign-in form on their homepage. You're right, manually saving a Login item there will add those URLs. I'm thinking it might be worth ignoring iframes if the source URL starts with www.youtube.com/embed/ as I can't think of any time we'd want to interact with a frame like that. Cheers for the heads up @thightower :smile:

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#111

• michaelregoli
    michaelregoli
    Community Member

Thanks, @littlebobbytables! That tweak fixed it for me, once I deleted all of my Duke Energy login profiles in 1Password. I started where @DaltonD suggested: Create a manual login first, then I went and made the small edit from your instructions.

Thanks again! —Michael

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@michaelregoli - on behalf of littlebobbytables, you're quite welcome -- glad he was able to help!

• SicTransitGloria
    SicTransitGloria
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Thanks all, this page was immensely helpful as I'm a new Duke Energy customer. Just one question - are there any security concerns with having the password saved in 1Password as the text flag (instead of the password flag)? Every time I change it to "Password" it stops working on the site, so I guess I have to leave it as "Text." Just want to make sure that does not open up any vulnerabilities in 1Password?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SicTransitGloria,

None that I can think of. What we're doing here is letting 1Password know that this particular site has made the very odd decision to use a text field for the password instead of the more traditional (and may I say, sensible) option of the password field. It doesn't mean that 1Password will consider filling your password into any old text field either. Beyond the fact that you can only use this Login item on the Duke Energy site due to the URL, for 1Password to consider filling the password into a text field the fingerprint created by that web form details has to match the page. If it doesn't 1Password falls back to a number of generalised filling strategies, none of which entertain the idea of filling a password into anything other than a password field. Oh and of course 1Password only ever fills when explicitly instructed to by the user so you also don't have to worry about anything weird happening in the background without your knowledge.

If you still have concerns that I haven't addressed please say. I'm more than happy to detail as much as possible so that you can feel assured that this isn't placing you at risk.

• MikeLTour61
    MikeLTour61
    Community Member

I am having trouble since Duke has 'upgraded' their login process. I have read over the comments above but none of them seem to work for my issue. My username is filled in on the Duke site (https://www.duke-energy.com/my-account/sign-in) but my password is not. Everything worked ok before.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MikeLTour61,

I'm not sure what to say, I saved a new Login item on https://www.duke-energy.com/my-account/sign-in, corrected the contents of the password field to account for their attempts at a password field and flagged the field as being the password. Everything filled as expected. I can't confirm I could log in because I'm not a customer of theirs but everything was in the right place to suggest it should have worked.

Can you try the steps again for me please as detailed in my previous reply. Manually save a new Login item using the steps detailed on our support page How to save a Login manually in your browser and the alter the web form details to accommodate the quirks of the site. Are you still finding a new Login item fails to fill the password field?

This discussion has been closed.