Are 3rd Party Cookies Required (for auto-lock settings)

slbowen
slbowen
Community Member

I want to stop using LastPass because the browser settings related to it auto-logging off are 3rd party cookies... and if you have your browser set to not allow 3rd party cookies (for greater security), those settings aren't saved. My computer was recently hacked and they got in my password vault because I had it set to not auto log off... so I don't want to make that mistake again. What settings I define I want to stick.

So does 1Password require 3rd party cookies for such settings. I saw this: "Your settings aren’t synced between devices, so you can use the ideal settings on each one".... this I think implies the use of cookies(?). If so are they first or third-party cookies. Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7, 10 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• slbowen
    slbowen
    Community Member

Me again.... so is it true one isn't running 1Password from a browser but from an app installed on each device.... if so the cookie question is irrelevant.

• @slbowen,

We do have native 1Password apps for Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android. We also have 1Password X which is a browser extension for Chrome that allows you to use 1Password without the native app installed. Generally we recommend using the native apps, but some situations do not allow for that. There is also a web interface available, but the only functions that require that are administrative/billing functions. Once things are set up you don’t generally need to log in to the web interface often.

Ben

• slbowen
    slbowen
    Community Member

Thanks for responding, Ben. Help me understand this... I created just one test login in the native 1Password app (for Windows)... with the web address for the login page (for the website Wayfair). By using the native app alone should it auto-populate the login info when I click on the link it creates (it didn't)... unless I have some setting wrong. Guess I'm asking.... if one only uses the app, can you auto-login to websites (with no browser extension)?

If the answer to that is no... that I need the browser extension... then what is the purpose of the app? Thanks in advance.

• The browser extension is the component that does all of the actions within the web browser (saving, filling, etc). The app manages data storage, syncing, allows you to sort, edit, and delete items, etc. The browser extension (with the exception of 1Password X) requires the app.

1Password X is a special case. It is a Chrome extension that talks directly to the 1Password.com service with no app required, but it isn’t quite as full featured as the native apps are.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.