Does not work in Internet Explorer on Windows 7 [known issue, Microsoft pulled March update rollup]

tkaz7
tkaz7
Community Member
edited March 2018 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I run win 7 ie11 have had one pw 4.6.2.626 for years now have done all trouble shooting inc 3rd party enabled on browser but it wont work anymore, it looks normal icon not grey but wont open at all ? Its enabled or checked in console of 1pw I reset ie11 still no joy. Its enabled in ie11 just cant fig it out. works in other browsers. Did some win update foul this up? help appreciated. (use native messaging is enabled per help info i read) (also higher then 4.62 microsoft frame or whatever it says in help is fine too past that in fact)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• prje13
    prje13
    Community Member

same here. broke with the 3/14/2018 Windows Updates

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

Hello @tkaz7 and @prje13,

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Reports from your computers, where you have this issue in 1Password 4:

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostic Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Thank you very much in advance! I will be looking forward to your emails.

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: DQF-58959-279

• DwightL
    DwightL
    Community Member

Name: 1Password
    Publisher: AgileBits Inc.
    Type: Browser Helper Object
    Architecture: 32-bit and 64-bit
    Version: 4.6.2.626
    File date: ‎Tuesday, ‎September ‎05, ‎2017, ‏‎2:04 PM
    Date last accessed: ‎Today, ‎March ‎14, ‎2018, ‏‎4 minutes ago
    Class ID: {037C06D5-3893-49E8-9AC0-41F7524AFBF5}
    Use count: 33
    Block count: 5
    File: Agile1pIE4.dll
    Folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\1Password 4\x64
    Clicking the 1Password button doesn't do anything in IE11. Any thoughts?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• @DwightL: I see you've sent some diagnostics in via e-mail. Particularly with these sorts of issues, the diagnostics can be super helpful, so to avoid confusion, I'll take a look at your diagnostics and get back to you there. Thanks! :chuffed:

• tkaz7
    tkaz7
    Community Member

done thanks :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @tkaz7! We will take a closer look at the report you've shared and get back to you soon. :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• prje13
    prje13
    Community Member

Done #IBW-99532-229

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@prje13: Found it! We will get back to you via email as soon as possible. :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: IBW-99532-229

• tkaz7
    tkaz7
    Community Member

Im wondering if prje is correct because this started for me right after (right after) win updates this week.

• makelmarbella
    makelmarbella
    Community Member

Good morning, We have since yesterday the same problem in two windows computes. We have 1Password 4 in the office in two computers with windows 7 and internet explorer 11, and it seams the problem could be because a recent windows update, because when we press the 1 password icon in the brownser it doesn't open the values. It works ok with Chrome, Mozilla and Safari in MAC.
    It worries me that we are a lot of people with the same problem and support team doesn't fix it, as, for example, in our case we are a broker insurance company and we need to use internet explorer with a lot of insurance companies to work with them as they only give support in Internet explorer brownser.

• CanoePaddler
    CanoePaddler
    Community Member

I have the same problem, hope you post the solution here.
    Thanks,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@CanoePaddler: Thanks for getting in touch! The solution depends entirely on the problem, and without some basic information it's impossible to say what that might be in your case. But you can follow the steps in this guide to make sure that the extension is installed properly in the browser, and then also make sure Internet Explorer itself is configured properly. Let me know what you find! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@tkaz7: Thanks for confirming! I have to say, I have seen more reports like this just today, though that may be a coincidence.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Good morning, We have since yesterday the same problem in two windows computes. We have 1Password 4 in the office in two computers with windows 7 and internet explorer 11, and it seams the problem could be because a recent windows update, because when we press the 1 password icon in the brownser it doesn't open the values. It works ok with Chrome, Mozilla and Safari in MAC.

@makelmarbella: I'm glad to hear it's working in Chrome and Firefox. If you use the keyboard shortcut — Ctrl \ — does that work in Internet Explorer?

It worries me that we are a lot of people with the same problem and support team doesn't fix it,

We didn't change anything in 1Password, so I'm not sure what you mean.

as, for example, in our case we are a broker insurance company and we need to use internet explorer with a lot of insurance companies to work with them as they only give support in Internet explorer brownser.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not sure there's anything to be done if Microsoft has changed something, but we'll look into it.

• CanoePaddler
    CanoePaddler
    Community Member

@brenty thanks for your quick reply. I tried all of that, I have read a number of your posts on the subject before I decided to join this thread.
    Here's the story...
    We (MSE) caught two instances of the Cloxer.A!cl trojan, quarantined, deleted them and did a Full Scan - Clean result.
    Installed Malwarebytes did a scan with rootkit enabled - Clean result
    We then discovered the toolbar button on IE didn't work, tried all of the configs in 1P and IE. Chrome works.
    Uninstalled 1P rebooted and installed, still no change.

1P Ver 4
    Windows 7 Professional

I have exhausted all internet search results, so here I am.
    thanks for any help.

• DwightL
    DwightL
    Community Member

I just received a note from support that it has been determined that very likely a recent Windows update broke the 1Password extension function. They are working on it and I'll report back here if I hear anything else.

• @CanoePaddler: @DwightL is correct. He and I have been working through this for a few days and he won the day as he was right from the get go. A recent update for Windows 7 specifically has proven problematic on a few fronts and one bit of trouble it has caused is breaking the IE extension completely. As of right now, Microsoft has stopped installing this update for folks who haven't installed it already, so it looks like they are aware of issues with it generally. We've reached out to them to add our trouble to the list. For the moment, you'll be best served by using Chrome or Firefox (and copying/pasting when forced to use IE) and hanging tight for whatever solution Microsoft settles on. And, of course, if we learn anything more, we'll let y'all know. :chuffed:

• tkaz7
    tkaz7
    Community Member

control \ doesnt do it for my ie pw 's

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@tkaz7: Thanks for letting me know.

@tkaz7, @makelmarbella, @prje13: It turns out I have some news for you, some good and some bad, which has developed overnight.

The good news is we know what's going on now with Internet Explorer. The bad news is that it isn't something we have any control over.

Microsoft made some changes in the most recent Windows 7 updates that has broken some of for Internet Explorer's add-on support, which means 1Password doesn't work there for some people — presumably everyone who got the bad update.

The sort-of-good news is that Microsoft is aware of these issues and has already pulled the offending updates (there were a number of other non-IE problems as well), so at least folks updating now shouldn't get them. But you'd either need to roll back to before the update, or wait for them to release fixes to use 1Password in Internet Explorer. Otherwise you can use Firefox, Chrome, or other supported browsers. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you, but it's good that there's an explanation for this rather sudden development. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I've merged everyone into the same discussion here. We'll share additional information as we have it, but at this stage it looks like we're waiting for Microsoft to release their next update, hopefully without further issues.

• tkaz7
    tkaz7
    Community Member

thank you for your efforts and info :) I wish microsoft hadnt started bundling updates or we could remove on kb update and not the bundle. I hope it gets worked out soon. If I wanted to removed it I wonder what ramifications it would have besides, as in was it important? Thanks for help much appreciated

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@tkaz7: For security reasons we always recommend you to run the latest version of Windows on your devices. Hopefully, Microsoft will release their next update without this issue soon. We will keep you posted. :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tkaz7: Again, not something we'd recommend. Using IE itself is risky relative to more modern browsers. But I have had some success using a restore point to back out of a back update in the past. I definitely wouldn't suggest doing it without having a full workin backup though, as I've also been stuck with a non-booting OS after a rollback...

I'm generally a fan of the bundled updates — on Windows 7 especially, since it is so horribly slow due to the obscenely long update history there — but this is certainly one drawback.

• tkaz7
    tkaz7
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Thank you Greg and Brenty advice taken. I had a whole mess with not getting updates there for awhile had to roll back my date on pc and do a whole "thing" to get em' back so I dont want to mess that up. Its been fine for awhile now. Or maybe that was on my laptop but anyway I wont mess w/ security . I will have my spouse use an already on board security programs pw manager for light use nothing important.

• @tkaz7: Don't forget, too, that this only affects IE. Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc. should all work fine if using a different browser (at least temporarily) is an option for you. Most will even import your bookmarks so that the switch isn't too painful. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.