Program doesn't work in Windows browser.

I've had 1Password for years on my Mac. Recently I also bought a PC and installed 1Password on it. That seems to work pretty much the same as on my Mac. However, while the ikon appears in my browser it doesn't do anything. I wanted to change a password and I had to log into the site on my Mac in order to do it. What do I ned to do to make the Windows browser work like Safari?

1Password Version: DK
Extension Version: DK
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Same as Mac
Referrer: forum-search:Doesn't work on Windows

Comments

• tkaz7
    tkaz7
    Community Member

Ive run one password for several years now v 4 its up to date on win 7 ie 11 and of late no matter what trouble shooting I do it will no longer open in the browser. Ive followed all trouble shooters too. Works in other browsers.

• rbpeirce
    rbpeirce
    Community Member

What other browsers? I'm not wedded to the ones that came with Windows. It isn't my primary computer.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rbpeirce,

Thank you for getting in touch! I am sorry to hear you are having troubles on Windows.

First of all, could you please specify what browser you use on your PC? Is it Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or other? If you have installed 1Password extension for your browser, but it doesn't work, please open and unlock 1Password 6 on your PC and go to > 1Password > Settings > Advanced and make sure that you have Native Messaging enabled for both Firefox and Chrome there. Restart 1Password and you browser after that and let me know if it works. Thanks!

@tkaz7: if you are using 1Password 4 for Windows on your PC, then the issue is different for you. Please generate a Diagnostics Report from your PC and attach it email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com. We will take a look and let you know what we find out. Please do not post it here, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

Cheers,
    Greg

• rbpeirce
    rbpeirce
    Community Member

I think I am using Edge. I also think I only have Explorer and Edge. I don't recall installing an extension for it. Is there one? I guess I must have done that for Safari on my Mac, although I don't recall. There is a 1Password Ikon on the Windows browser but it doesn't do anything.

I don't have Firefox or Chrome so what will Advanced do?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rbpeirce: If you're using 1Password 6 or higher, you can use the 1Password Edge extension by installing it from the Windows Store. That won't work with older versions of 1Password, but I have no idea which version you're using. Otherwise you can install Firefox or Chrome and then use our browser extensions for those:

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• rbpeirce
    rbpeirce
    Community Member

I have 6 on both my Mac and PC. How do I get to the Windows store?

• @rbpeirce: You can find the extension for Edge here. Install it from the store, make sure 1Password 6 is running and launch Edge. You should be prompted to enable it and, if not, click … > Extensions in Edge, then click 1Password and enable it there. :+1:

• rbpeirce
    rbpeirce
    Community Member

I just discovered I do have the extension. However, it only works if 1Password is running. That isn't the case on my Mac.

• Hi @rbpeirce,

Thanks for writing in.

I just discovered I do have the extension. However, it only works if 1Password is running. That isn't the case on my Mac.

All 1Password browser extensions, with the exception of the 1Password X extension, require 1Password app to be running, on all platforms, including macOS.

1Password extensions itself has no UI nor any data, its sole job is to allow the main 1Password program integrate with the browser. The extension communicates with the main 1Password program to pass data for filling or saving new data while the main program renders the UI.

On macOS, you can choose to hide the 1Password mini on the menu bar, so it looks like your 1Password is not running but if you look into the Activity Monitor, you'll notice 1Password is still running in the background.

• rbpeirce
    rbpeirce
    Community Member

You are correct. It is not appearing anywhere but Activity Monitor does show it is running. It may actually be on the task bar but hidden by the Safari menus.

So, is there a mini for Windows?

• MikeT
    edited March 2018

Hi @rbpeirce,

Yes, 1Password 6 and 1Password mini are two different views of the same process on Windows. You can configure 1Password to start itself when you sign into your Windows account and 1Password will start minimized in your notification area. You can configure Windows' taskbar settings to hide the 1Password icon if you don't want to see it.

The main window does not have to be kept running, closing 1Password will minimize it to your notification area.

• rbpeirce
    rbpeirce
    Community Member

I do have it set to start when I login but I may not have it set up correctly because I have to actually restart it to access it from the Windows browser.

• @rbpeirce: Do you have to restart the main app to use it in Edge, or is it not starting up at login to begin with? Could you double check your notification area next time you need to use Edge and make sure you see the 1Password icon there? Thanks!

• rbpeirce
    rbpeirce
    Community Member

The 1Passowrd panel appears during login. Whether it actually starts or not is another matter. I will have to check the activity monitor, or whatever they call it in Windows.

The ikon appears in Edge. It just doesn't do anything unless I start 1Password.

If 1Password is supposed to start on login, what should happen. The panel appears for a few seconds and the disappears,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The 1Passowrd panel appears during login.

@rbpeirce: Can you tell me which "panel" you're referring to?

Whether it actually starts or not is another matter. I will have to check the activity monitor, or whatever they call it in Windows.

You can open "Task Manager" by pressing Ctrl Shift Esc. I find that really handy.

The ikon appears in Edge. It just doesn't do anything unless I start 1Password.

Correct. The extension is just a way for the 1Password app to integrate with the browser. You'll need to have 1Password running for that to function there.

If 1Password is supposed to start on login, what should happen. The panel appears for a few seconds and the disappears,

It depends on how you have it setup. If you're using the setting in 1Password itself (Settings > General), the app window should open to the lock screen and you'll also see the icon in the notification area (in the bottom right corner, to the left of the date/time by default).

If you open Task Manager and go to the Startup tab, do you see 1Password listed there?

• rbpeirce
    rbpeirce
    Community Member

Silly me. I didn't give it enough time. 1Password seems to be instantly available in Safari and I expected the same in Edge. 1Password started and Task Manager showed it to be running so I waited a few minutes and tried it again. This time it worked. I'm not sure how much time is required but it is something greater than 0!

• @rbpeirce: Adjusting to a new operating system always takes time. I've had a Mac for a while, but I only started using it consistently when I started working here and I still probably ask some silly questions from time to time. Thankfully, I have wonderful teammates to help me out and they only laugh at me a little bit. :wink:

Edge does have a few extra helper processes to launch to help you fill there, and Safari doesn't need to do that, so greater than 0 time to get up and running isn't surprising, but it should only be a few seconds at most. Either way, I'm glad it is working, if a bit slow. The Edge extension and Edge itself are both on the newer side as well, so I'm sure they will both continue to improve greatly over time. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.