1PX secure notes and SSH private keys

lcorsini
lcorsini
Community Member
edited March 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello,
I've got a problem with 1PasswordX (or better with 1Password cloud, since 1PX doesn't manage secure notes) and my SSH key.
I've stored my key as a secure note, but when I get it back (by copy&paste) it's not in it's original format somehow, it's readable, but it gets scrambled or maybe some newline gets lost in the process and it results unusable.
I've had to get it back (luckily) from my old lastpass where it get stored correctly.
Could you please look into this? because it's rather alarming to have something save which is not readable anymore. I cannot rely on something like this

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @lcorsini!

Did you copy and paste the SSH key from within 1Password X or from the 1Password.com web client?

Was the SSH keep imported using our LastPass import tool?

I believe there's a chance that whitespace might've been added if you were copying them from 1Password X. I'll be honest and say we didn't give Secure Notes nearly as much love as they deserve yet, but we do have some really exciting changes coming very soon. 🤘

I'd also like to recommend uploading your keys as Document Items and then downloading them from the 1Password.com web client as needed. Another option, if you're more of a terminal fan, the 1Password CLI can be a quick and easy way to download your keys on the fly as needed. I shared a basic script idea a while back that would need to be updated but might give you an idea of some fun ways to use the CLI.

I'm hoping your answers will help me recreate the issue on my end. Thanks for your help!

• lcorsini
    lcorsini
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Ok let's go in order:

• I've copied it from Web client
    • It was imported from lastpass at first
    • Creating a new note in web client
    1. copy the key from id_rsa file and pasting the key inside
    2. save, then copy from the secure note and paste it back into id_rsa file
    • Gives the same exact problem (it probably has to do something with carriage return and whitespaces)*****
    • I didn't knew about the upload document, I'll give a try
    • CLI support is great and very welcome, didn't really had time to explore it since switching fully to 1P
    • Yes Secure notes really need some love :angry: and good templates

****A key file is a text file, containing a sequence of lines. Each line in the file MUST NOT be longer than 72 8-bit bytes excluding line termination characters.

Implementations SHOULD generate public key files using their system's
    local text file representation.

In the event that public key files are not transferred as text files,
    implementations SHOULD be prepared to read files using any of the
    common line termination sequence, , , or .

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4716#section-3

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@Lcorsini: Thanks for getting back to me with this. I'm going to try reproducing what you have here now and then create an issue when I find the root cause. It's an interesting use case, and I know folks who have definitely used Secure Notes to house their SSH keys in the past. In the meantime, I wholly recommend uploading SSH keys as Document Items.

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to help make 1Password better for everyone! 💙😁

• lcorsini
    lcorsini
    Community Member

Ok, thanks, I'll try, but or i'm dumb (very very possible :chuffed: ) or I cannot find how to upload a document in my vault

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lcorsini: Ah, sorry for the confusion there! It's not you, it's us. 1Password X isn't capable of working with Documents (yet? only time will tell). You can, however, use the 1Password.com website to create a new Document item and upload a file there. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• lcorsini
    lcorsini
    Community Member

No no, it's me this time :angry: I was in 1password.com, but I haven't seen the Document item

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lcorsini: Hey, no problem! You'll just need to click the + button in your vault and select Document:

And then you can either drag a file there or click to select it from a folder:

Cheers! :)

• mkoenig
    mkoenig
    Community Member

LastPass has some really nice custom note types that are designed for SSH Keys. Any chance at getting something like that in the future? Really could use a better way to store and share than adding as a Document.

• It's possible, but I'm not aware of any plans at the moment. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

A huge +1 from me for the SSH note type.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@smnstrk - thanks for weighing in on this subject. :)

• meleu
    meleu
    Community Member

+1 for ssh support! very important.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

As mentioned above, you can save SSH keys as a file, or as text in a Secure Note, etc.

• oiglesias
    oiglesias
    Community Member

+1 here. A proper way to store SSH keys would be highly appreciated.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, @oiglesias!

This discussion has been closed.