7.0 Beta 1 Feedback

Options
EnerJi
EnerJi
Community Member

I really like the bottom navigation bar. Makes navigating on a large phone much easier and more comfortable.

Some things that I'd love to see (some previously existing and reported on the previous version as well):

1. The back button does not function consistently. Tapping back often exits the app instead of going to the previous screen.
  2. Why is there no "+" button on the Favorites screen? I often need to create a new password for a site or app and it's unintuitive to have to tap categories first.

Separately, any idea when Chrome might get Autofill Framework support, even in Chrome Canary? Android "P" just entered public alpha testing with new Autofill APIs yet Chrome somehow still doesn't even support the previous 8.0 API?

Thanks as always for the great apps.

Comments

• peri
    Options

Hey @EnerJi. Thanks for the feedback. Glad you like the new navigation bar. :)

The back button does not function consistently. Tapping back often exits the app instead of going to the previous screen.

Can you let me know how to reproduce this behavior. I know that it was a problem in the past, but I'm not seeing it anymore. What screen are you pressing back from to exit the app?

Why is there no "+" button on the Favorites screen? I often need to create a new password for a site or app and it's unintuitive to have to tap categories first.

This is behavior is consistent across platforms. There's no create item button on the Favorites screen on iOS either. Typically, you'll create an item and then add it to your Favorites, and it'll move there automatically. Adding items from the Favorites screen presents a bit of a problem, since not all new items will be Favorites. Perhaps a workaround would be changing the launch screen, which is something we'll consider for the future.

That said, I don't know when Chrome will support Autofill. We're hoping to hear some news coming out of Google I/O!

• carlylemiii
    carlylemiii
    Community Member
    Options

The back button does not function consistently. Tapping back often exits the app instead of going to the previous screen.

Are you saying something like being on the Settings screen doesn't navigate back to say Categories if you press back, or being in say Logins doesn't navigate back to Categories?

The former is correct behavior per Material Design guidelines ("On Android, the Back button does not navigate between bottom navigation bar views."), and I'm not seeing the latter, personally.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hmm. I will totally admit to being baffled by the "back" behaviour in general more often than not. I know how it's supposed to work, and it seems like it does what it's supposed to do. The model just doesn't agree with the way my brain expects things to work (maybe because I learned computers before the internet :lol: ) I'll keep an eye out for issues with this as well, but I might not be the best person to judge. I did think though that this is handled by Android APIs. Is that the case, @peri ?

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @peri:

This is behavior is consistent across platforms. There's no create item button on the Favorites screen on iOS either. Typically, you'll create an item and then add it to your Favorites, and it'll move there automatically. Adding items from the Favorites screen presents a bit of a problem, since not all new items will be Favorites. Perhaps a workaround would be changing the launch screen, which is something we'll consider for the future.

Thanks for the explanation - I can see the logic that led to the current decision. That said, it's not completely platform consistent. For example, on the Mac app I can create a new login from any screen, including Favorites. :) Regardless, I do humbly suggest this decision might be worth re-visiting. Here's why:

It makes sense to have Favorites be the starting view, as many times when we launch the app we're needing to access information from one of our most frequently used items, i.e. Favorites. However, another common reason for launching 1PW is to create a new password or login, and not having the FAB (Floating Action Button) on that screen slow down that process unnecessarily. What is perhaps worse, is that (IMHO) it is somewhat unintuitive to have to click on Categories first.

An example from my own experience:
    My partner (someone less tech-savvy than me) knows exactly what a big "+" in a FAB is usually for based on encountering that component in many other apps. However, some time back (pre-Beta 7, roughly when the current general layout was adopted) when they were on one of the other screens and wanted to create a login, they were a bit lost. First, they checked the three dot overflow menu looking for "New Item" or something along those lines. Not there. Then they checked the hamburger menu, definitely not there. Then they gave up and asked me, and even I was momentarily confused until I realized we had to select the "Categories" view (in this case from the navigation drawer), for the FAB to appear.

Google Inbox, to use an example, has a FAB to start a new email or create a reminder. This FAB is available on just about every possible screen in the app, with the exception of the settings and help screens. When I'm in my Spam or Trash views it could be argued that it's not logical to show the FAB because a new email doesn't relate to Spam or Trash, but the Inbox app designers have rightly (again, IMHO) decided that it is more important to provide consistent and easy access to a core app function.

Back Button Navigation

@peri @brenty

Can you let me know how to reproduce this behavior. I know that it was a problem in the past, but I'm not seeing it anymore. What screen are you pressing back from to exit the app?

There are two scenarios. Scenario 1:
    I'm navigating through the bottom navigation tabs. In this case, pressing back will exit 1PW and go back to the home screen.

@carlylemiii rightly points out that Material Design guidelines suggest that the Android back button does not navigate back through the bottom navigation bar. I did not realize that, but I also don't entirely agree with it. It's not very intuitive and quite different to how Google has trained Android users that the back button should work.

Apparently some Google app designers agree, because the Google Plus app, to give one example, does not behave this way. In the Google Plus app, if you navigate back from any tab other than the Home tab, you will be returned to the Home tab. Then if you press back again, you will be returned to the Home screen. I find this far more intuitive.

Scenario 2:
    After selecting different vaults via the navigation drawer ("hamburger" menu), pressing back does not return to the previously selected vault. In other apps (Google Plus again or Google Inbox, for example), the back button will return backwards through time to any selections made from the navigation drawer.

Anyway, those are my $.02, for whatever they are worth. Look forward to hearing what y'all think. Sorry it ended up being a bit "wordy."

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the explanation - I can see the logic that led to the current decision. That said, it's not completely platform consistent. For example, on the Mac app I can create a new login from any screen, including Favorites. :)

@EnerJi: Good point. :)

Regardless, I do humbly suggest this decision might be worth re-visiting. Here's why:
    It makes sense to have Favorites be the starting view, as many times when we launch the app we're needing to access information from one of our most frequently used items, i.e. Favorites. However, another common reason for launching 1PW is to create a new password or login, and not having the FAB (Floating Action Button) on that screen slow down that process unnecessarily. What is perhaps worse, is that (IMHO) it is somewhat unintuitive to have to click on Categories first.

Another good one. Definitely something worth considering as we develop 1Password 7. :)

An example from my own experience:
    My partner (someone less tech-savvy than me) knows exactly what a big "+" in a FAB is usually for based on encountering that component in many other apps. However, some time back (pre-Beta 7, roughly when the current general layout was adopted) when they were on one of the other screens and wanted to create a login, they were a bit lost. First, they checked the three dot overflow menu looking for "New Item" or something along those lines. Not there. Then they checked the hamburger menu, definitely not there. Then they gave up and asked me, and even I was momentarily confused until I realized we had to select the "Categories" view (in this case from the navigation drawer), for the FAB to appear.

That's a great real-world example. Thank you!

Google Inbox, to use an example, has a FAB to start a new email or create a reminder. This FAB is available on just about every possible screen in the app, with the exception of the settings and help screens. When I'm in my Spam or Trash views it could be argued that it's not logical to show the FAB because a new email doesn't relate to Spam or Trash, but the Inbox app designers have rightly (again, IMHO) decided that it is more important to provide consistent and easy access to a core app function.

Hmm. I could go either way on this. It's good you brought it up.

I'm navigating through the bottom navigation tabs. In this case, pressing back will exit 1PW and go back to the home screen.
    @carlylemiii rightly points out that Material Design guidelines suggest that the Android back button does not navigate back through the bottom navigation bar. I did not realize that, but I also don't entirely agree with it. It's not very intuitive and quite different to how Google has trained Android users that the back button should work.

Yeah you'll get no argument from me there. I think this is one of those things that is either intuitive or not based solely on your experience and expectations. It just doesn't fit with mine.

Apparently some Google app designers agree, because the Google Plus app, to give one example, does not behave this way. In the Google Plus app, if you navigate back from any tab other than the Home tab, you will be returned to the Home tab. Then if you press back again, you will be returned to the Home screen. I find this far more intuitive.

Still feels odd to me since not everything works that way, but I think I might prefer that too.

After selecting different vaults via the navigation drawer ("hamburger" menu), pressing back does not return to the previously selected vault. In other apps (Google Plus again or Google Inbox, for example), the back button will return backwards through time to any selections made from the navigation drawer.

I think that could be helpful. Thanks for the suggestion!

Anyway, those are my $.02, for whatever they are worth. Look forward to hearing what y'all think. Sorry it ended up being a bit "wordy."

Wordy, but good. Thank you for taking the time to give us such detailed feedback — with references even! :chuffed:

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Glad it was helpful. Hope it gives the designers something to noodle on and consider for the future.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Totally. I've shared this with the team. I'm not sure what we'll end up with when version 7 ships since it's hard to say what's definitively the best behaviour, but discussions like this really help. :)

• Janis
    Janis
    Community Member
    Options

Than you very much when autofill prompt is now dismissible! I really enjoy it and very happy with it!
    1P you are the best! Continue in the same spirit!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey, thanks for your passion for 1Password, and for participating in the beta! We've got even more in the works that I think you'll be excited about. :)

• Janis
    Janis
    Community Member
    Options

Thats excellent Brenty! And I hope soon we can organize with tags too :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

;)

• Janis
    Janis
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for next beta update! :)
    And would be nice to see update when is possible to see "Previously used passwords" like on ios!
    Thank you for support and Happy Easter coming! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password 7 beta already supports the "previously used passwords" feature:

Happy Easter to you too, and happy beta! :sunglasses:

• Janis
    Janis
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! 8-)
    In Windows yes it shows "previously used passwords", but in android app is not.
    On iPad it shows.

• Janis
    Janis
    Community Member
    Options

Ipad screenshoot.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Janis: Of course you're right. I got my wires crossed and thought you were talking about the Windows beta for 1Password 7 (hence the screenshot...doh) Obviously you meant Android. My fault. :blush:

I can't say for certain when 1Password for Android will get that feature, but it's on our list. Thanks for letting us know you're looking forward to that. :blush:

• Janis
    Janis
    Community Member
    Options

My fault. :blush:

Thats ok! :)

but it's on our list.

Thanks!

Cheers :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Embarrassing. Thank you. :blush: :+1:

• peri
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. I'll pass this on to our team. :)

• Janis
    Janis
    Community Member
    Options

Hello everyone :)
    Thanks 1P for latest beta update! ;) I really like look and BIG thanks when is possible to upload documents from Android device!
    Thanks again and keep it up good work!
    Cheers!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Janis: Thanks for the kind words! So glad to hear you're enjoying the latest beta. We've got even more in store for you. ;)

• Janis
    Janis
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much 1P team and with pleasure waiting next updates ;) :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Me too! :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.