Keyboard shortcut to fill only the active field?

Hi!

I thought I had read that there was a keyboard shortcut to fill only the active field on a page but can't seem to find it at https://support.1password.com/keyboard-shortcuts/.

Command + \ seems to fill all related fields and sometimes incorrectly.

Today 1Password filled my phone number on stage-2 of the Do Not Call Registry complaint page when I tried to fill my address -- overwriting the offending number I had just typed at https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx. I did see and correct the mistake before reporting myself. :)

Thanks for any information or work around you have to offer.

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@headhertz: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password is designed to fill login forms, so it doesn't often work in situations like these. As such, there as also no generic "fill field" option, just "fill login" — ⌘ \ — which looks for a username and password field. We can certainly consider something like that for the future, but we stay pretty busy trying to accommodate the many different types of login forms out there today. I'm glad to hear you didn't report yourself, and I thank you for taking the time to let us know this is a use case you'd be interested in. Have a great weekend! :)

• headhertz
    headhertz
    Community Member

Thanks for answering, @brenty. Though my example was filled from an Identity, there are cases where similar happens with a Login.

As an example, I just changed a bunch of usernames around the web and couldn't use 1Password to fill the existing Password field because it would also overwite the New Username field. This seemed to be true with all sites running PHPBB. Granted this is not the usual workflow and there is still the ability to copy a password but I think it would be super handy to be able to fill only the focused field. I might even prefer if from a security perspective.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@headhertz: Oh. I never would have guessed that you were using an Identity. Thank you for telling me! It's an interesting idea about filling in focused field. Good point about usernames too. Those are not a common use case. I don't know that I've changed one in the last 5 years. So we focus on password changes, since those are decidedly unmemorable. But definitely let us know any other URLs where you run into filling or saving issues and we'll see what we can do to improve those as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.