1Password has stopped filling logins in Safari

This discussion was created from comments split from: auto fill not working on OS 10 using Safari on my new Mac Pro.

ref: JWN-21279-639

Comments

• whydavewhy
    whydavewhy
    Community Member

1Password for macOS Version: 6.8.7 (687003)
    Extension Version: 4.6.12
    Mac OS Version: 10.13.3 (on late 2016 MacBook Pro)
    Sync Type: Dropbox
    Browser: Safari 11.0.3 (13604.5.6)

I have been using 1Password for macOS, as well as the Safari extension many years. My favorite feature is the auto-fill for websites on Safari. I do not use Safari's "browser auto fill," only the auto fill feature in 1Password. I currently have 487 items in 1Password, and most of them have had no problem auto filling in Safari, both from the macOS app, and the Safari extension. I recently noticed that auto fill was not working, possibly since the most recent macOS update? (10.13.3) At first, I thought the problem was on a few specific websites; but when I started at the beginning of my 487 item list, and none of them were working, I soon realized that the auto fill feature was not working at all. Is this a known issue? Any tips, or any ETA when there will be a fix?

Thanks,

David Lindsay

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @whydavewhy,

In order to begin the diagnosis I'd like to learn a little more about the extension.

1. Is the 1Password Browser Extension button still visible in the Safari toolbar?
    2. If you click the 1Password Browser Extension button in the Safari toolbar does the 1Password mini menu display?
    3. If you perform 2 whilst visiting a site known to 1Password does 1Password correctly list the matching Login items below the search field in the 1Password mini menu?
    4. Is there a menu option above the search field and if so, what does the text say?

I'm wondering if the extension is not connected to 1Password for some reason so we're testing to see if and how much is working while that last question will hopefully help eliminate one other reason 1Password may not fill. We're not tracking any critical issues and given everything is working for me it suggests we just need a bit of troubleshooting and we should be able to get everything working again for you as well.

• cresont
    cresont
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue as stated. I have the 1Password browser extension button in the Safari toolbar. The 1Password mini menu displays when selecting the 1Password Browser extension button. When performing #3, some of the passwords and login information has become incorrect. Above the Search menu is the "Add Safari Extension...". Also, when I use the 1Password to open a known (saved website) it will take me to the website but doesn't autofill the login and saved password. I'm using Safari High Sierra 10.13.2. & 1Password 6 Version 6.8.8. Thank you for any help or referral to another post. Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cresont - it sounds like you might need a new copy of the 1Password extension in Safari. Please visit Safari's Preferences > Extensions and deactivate, then remove the 1Password extension. Then Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), and also quit Safari. Restart both apps and visit https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions to download and install a new copy of the 1Password extension in Safari. Let us know how that works for you.

• cresont
    cresont
    Community Member

I did as you said but the link you provided takes me to an informational page about 1Password Extensions. For a split second I see another page but then a 1Password Extensions informational page covers it. I found the link on the 1Password website to the Extensions and again when I select the link to Extensions, for a split second I see what could be a page for downloading it but then is covered by an informational page on Extensions. Any idea why this is happening? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

• That sounds a bit odd, @cresont. When you visit that URL in Safari, you should see a big green Install button which, when clicked, will automatically download the 1Password extension and display instructions on how to install it. If you're seeing some other odd behavior, though, you might try downloading and installing the 1Password extension through Safari's Extension Gallery instead:

https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

Let me know if that route works any better for you.

• cresont
    cresont
    Community Member

When I could see a flash of another website page, I would see the green download button and then quickly covered with the information page. Strange but now it works again......finally!!! When I open the mini 1 Password the "extensions" is no longer listed. Thank you DaltonD and Lars. have a great day!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, it sounds like you may have some other extensions or software that's preventing the page from loading correctly, but I'm glad to hear you were able to work around that. It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.