To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Have 1P on Mac, need it on new Windows, have some questions

Options
rlf
rlf
Community Member

I have a few questions to which I've found bits and pieces of answers here in the forums but nothing definitive.

I've been a long-time user of 1P for the Mac and run the app on my MacBook Pro and iPhone. I have per-device licenses, not the annual subscription-type of licenses (which I deplore). I'd like to also use 1P on a new Windows laptop I've purchased for my business. Here are my questions:

1. Is there any way I can purchase a one-time application license for the Windows laptop or is Agile Bits now forcing me to buy a subscription license?
  2. If the answer is the latter, will the installation of 1P on the Windows laptop be able to read and write to the vault my one-time license app reads and writes to? In other words, can a one-time license version of the app share a vault with a subscription-based version?
  3. The primary vault my current Mac 1P app uses is located on Dropbox. Will 1P for Windows be able to read and write to that same Vault (once I connect the Windows laptop to my Dropbox account)? Are there any interoperability issues if 1P is talking to both a Mac and Windows machine?

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbo

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @rlf,

I’d be happy to help you with this. 1Password for Windows is currently only available by way of 1Password.com membership (subscription). We do have plans to offer standalone licensing with 1Password 7 for Windows, but I don’t have any timeframe I can share on when that might be available. If you want to use 1Password on Windows today you’d need to sign up for a membership. 1Password 6 for Windows cannot work with standalone vaults / vaults in Dropbox. It can only work with 1Password.com vaults. You’d need to migrate your data to 1Password.com following these instructions:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps!

Ben

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Ben, thanks for the quick follow-up. I'd rather not migrate from a standalone license to a subscription license on my Mac as that would really lock me in. Would it be possible for me to export all items in my standalone Dropbox vault to a file and then import them into a Windows version that runs with the subscription membership license? This would be a suitable work-around.

Also, can you speculate as to whether I may be able to convert from a Windows subscription license to a standalone license when the latter becomes available? Or would I have the same difficulty you described above transferring my data from one vault to the other? If it's not possible, there's really no cost for me to try out a competing product as I'll have to re-enter all my passwords in either case.

Just as an aside, I'm sure you and the other folks at Agilebits get tired of customers like me gripping about subscription licensing. But, if I may speak for we customers, standalone licensing allows us to use many more applications and services than subscription licensing does. From your company's perspective, I can understand how being able to project future cash flows reduces risk and uncertainty. But from our point of view, if every application and service starts to want to take a portion of our paycheck every month, at some point it's going to get to be too much and we're going to have to stop using apps and dropping services. It's far more affordable for us to buy an initial license and then upgrade it after two or three years for a nominal cost than it is to pay a set amount month after month. All of these subscriptions have begun to feel more like a perpetual tax than a license to use a certain product or service. I hope that, going forward, Agilebits will seriously consider offering not only subscription-based licenses but standalone licenses as well. We customers all have different needs. Thanks for listening.

• Ben
    Options

Ben, thanks for the quick follow-up. I'd rather not migrate from a standalone license to a subscription license on my Mac as that would really lock me in. Would it be possible for me to export all items in my standalone Dropbox vault to a file and then import them into a Windows version that runs with the subscription membership license? This would be a suitable work-around.

Also, can you speculate as to whether I may be able to convert from a Windows subscription license to a standalone license when the latter becomes available? Or would I have the same difficulty you described above transferring my data from one vault to the other? If it's not possible, there's really no cost for me to try out a competing product as I'll have to re-enter all my passwords in either case.

I can’t recommend what you’ve described (running standalone on one device and 1Password.com on another), but you can export / migrate your data back to a standalone vault if you wish to in the future. That would be how I’d recommend moving forward: use 1Password.com on all devices now, and if in the future you decide to you can migrate back to a standalone setup:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

I think if you run the numbers you’ll actually find the subscription pricing compares favorably with standalone licensing especially when considering usage across multiple platforms. That said, and as I mentioned above, we will be offering standalone licensing for 1Password 7 for Windows for those who prefer it. 1Password.com does offer the best experience though, so I’d highly encourage anyone deciding what to do to try 1Password.com before investing (further) in standalone. And while we’re talking about trying different things — you mentioned trying out the competition too. I’d encourage you to do that. We want people to choose to use 1Password because it continues to prove itself as the best solution available, and not because they feel locked in.

Thanks for listening.

Likewise thanks for taking the time to write in and share your perspective.

Ben

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member
    Options

Is the "Show 1Password mini" keyboard shortcut feature available with the new 1Password for both Windows (IE, Edge) and Mac (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera)? Thanks.

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member
    Options

Another question. Is there still an OS-specific app you download onto your computer, tablet, or phone or is everything done via the browser?

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

One last question and then I'll leave your alone -- really, I will :-) -- I saw at https://1password.com/downloads/ that "1Password 4 (standalone version)" is still available for Windows. Could I export the data from my 1PW6 for Mac database into a .1pif package or .csv file and import it into this 1PW4 for Windows application? If so, what would be the cost to use that 1PW4 on my Windows laptop? Thanks again.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

Another question. Is there still an OS-specific app you download onto your computer, tablet, or phone or is everything done via the browser?

You can still use the apps your know and love. No specific Subscription app, it's just that you can additionally access your passwords in the browser when you are a subscriber

If so, what would be the cost to use that 1PW4 on my Windows laptop?

AgileBits are no longer selling licenses for 1Password 4. You will have to wait for Version 7 once it comes out. And as a current v7 beta user, I can only tell you one thing: you will want v7, not version 4. Forget that version 4 even exists. v7 is waaaaaaaaaaaay better. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Is the "Show 1Password mini" keyboard shortcut feature available with the new 1Password for both Windows (IE, Edge) and Mac (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera)? Thanks.

@rlf: 1Password for Windows version 6 (current stable release) and 7 (now a public beta) both support Ctrl Alt \ to open 1Password mini. Edge, Firefox, and Chrome are fully supported. Internet Explorer is not, as Microsoft discontinued it years ago now.

As Manaburner mentioned above,

You can still use the apps your know and love. No specific Subscription app, it's just that you can additionally access your passwords in the browser when you are a subscriber

But I'll also add that we've also made a new Chrome (and soon Firefox) extension, 1Password X, that functions on its own (without having to install an app, which some people need or prefer), as well as many other benefits (like automatic offsite backup, which I love because it helps me sleep better at night).

One last question and then I'll leave your alone -- really, I will :-)

Oh you don't have to do that! ;)

-- I saw at https://1password.com/downloads/ that "1Password 4 (standalone version)" is still available for Windows. Could I export the data from my 1PW6 for Mac database into a .1pif package or .csv file and import it into this 1PW4 for Windows application? If so, what would be the cost to use that 1PW4 on my Windows laptop? Thanks again.

Pretty much "no", but Manaburner 's answer is much better than that:

AgileBits are no longer selling licenses for 1Password 4. You will have to wait for Version 7 once it comes out. And as a current v7 beta user, I can only tell you one thing: you will want v7, not version 4. Forget that version 4 even exists. v7 is waaaaaaaaaaaay better.

Definitely check out version 7. And we're here for you — you don't need to leave us alone. ;)

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member
    Options

I lied. I have a couple more questions. I just read about your 1Password for Windows beta and this sounds like what I'm looking for to complement my 1PW6 for Mac license. However, I'd rather wait until it's released before I upgrade it.

In the meantime, I'd like to keep an open mind and try out your subscription-based license. As a web app developer, I can understand how you might have more of an incentive to work on subscription-based apps than stand-alone license-based apps. So here are my (hopefully last) questions:

1. If I switch from my current 1PW6 for Mac standalone license to the subscription license, will there also be a version of 1PW that's available right now that I can use on my Windows machine? Is that version different than the new Windows 7 beta? It sounds like the Windows beta is for a standalone license version.

2. When the 1PW for Windows 7 version goes from beta to production, if I switch to it based on my current 1PW6 for Mac standalone license, will I be able to switch back to the 1PW6 standalone license on my Mac and then run this supposedly way better 1PW7 standalone license for my Windows laptop and 1PW6 on my Mac or is there no going back once you switch to a subscription license (given that they store my passwords in different types of "containers").

3. Will there ever be a 1PW 7 for Mac or will you no longer upgrade the Mac standalone license version?

Sorry for all the questions. I only ask them because I do rely on 1PW a lot so I really need to understand how things are going to work when contemplating making a big change like this. Thanks. again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I lied. I have a couple more questions.

@rlf: Hey, I gave you an out. Feel free to keep asking more! ;)

I just read about your 1Password for Windows beta and this sounds like what I'm looking for to complement my 1PW6 for Mac license. However, I'd rather wait until it's released before I upgrade it.

Sounds good! While it's available as a public beta, that isn't for everyone, while we work to fix bugs and add features. So you can keep up with AgileBits and 1Password news by following us on Facebook, Twitter, our blog, and our email newsletter. Nothing spammy, always just useful 1Password tips and announcements, and then you'll know when it's ready for everyone. :)

In the meantime, I'd like to keep an open mind and try out your subscription-based license. As a web app developer, I can understand how you might have more of an incentive to work on subscription-based apps than stand-alone license-based apps. So here are my (hopefully last) questions:

Well, before we go any further, it's important to note that, while 1Password.com memberships do enable some additional features since it's a hosted service, there are not separate apps.

If I switch from my current 1PW6 for Mac standalone license to the subscription license, will there also be a version of 1PW that's available right now that I can use on my Windows machine? Is that version different than the new Windows 7 beta? It sounds like the Windows beta is for a standalone license version.

The Windows beta for 1Password 7 is of particular interest to standalone users because version 6 did not have support for that, but it works with 1Password.com memberships as well.

When the 1PW for Windows 7 version goes from beta to production, if I switch to it based on my current 1PW6 for Mac standalone license, will I be able to switch back to the 1PW6 standalone license on my Mac and then run this supposedly way better 1PW7 standalone license for my Windows laptop and 1PW6 on my Mac or is there no going back once you switch to a subscription license (given that they store my passwords in different types of "containers").

Tell me more about what you're trying to do here. To be clear, a 1Password for Mac license won't work on Windows, or vice versa. But you can sync data between them (and other platforms).

Will there ever be a 1PW 7 for Mac or will you no longer upgrade the Mac standalone license version?

There will be a 1Password for Mac version 7 too. :)

Sorry for all the questions. I only ask them because I do rely on 1PW a lot so I really need to understand how things are going to work when contemplating making a big change like this. Thanks. again.

Not a problem. Some of this is definitely confusing. Sorry about that! We're looking forward to this being simpler when the new version is finished. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.