Password generator - possibility to set count of digits and symbols

Hi,

in my work a need to generate passwords every day. Our company use specific count of digits and symbols for creating passwords. And i wonder, if we can get this function into 1Password X. Thank you.

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 6.8.496
Extension Version: 1Password X 1.6.0
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1709
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bnet: Thanks for getting in touch! It isn't something we have plans for, as that has a negative impact on not only entropy but also usability. But I'm interested to hear more about the use case. Can you elaborate?

• maquinn78
    maquinn78
    Community Member

Unfortunately, we have this issue to. Our passwords are exactly X amount of characters. It's a rule enforced by group policy.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@maquinn78: I'm not sure if you've seen it yet, but our new Strong Password Generator does allow you to change the length (number of characters) in it! Or are you saying you have a group policy that specifies an exact number of symbols/special characters that are required in a password?

• maquinn78
    maquinn78
    Community Member

No just the number of characters. Which I think is worse security than like 6-10 characters. I was just agreeing that the other poster wasn’t the only one who always had to make a password with, for example, 6 characters. I do too.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

Oh, I see! 6 characters is certainly low!

However, you can manually enter the number 6 into the Length textbox of our SPG, and it will generate you a password lower than the 8 character minimum when using the slider.

I hope that helps! We really love the simplicity of our current design and truly believe it will help the vast amount of 1Password users to create strong passwords.

• bnet
    bnet
    Community Member

We need 20 characters including 5 digits and 2 special symbols (like -+*,.-) or more, other 13 characters should be mix of lower and upper case. Its group policy of our company. It looks like that, at the end we will have to write our own generator :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@bnet: Or you can just click that circular arrow "refresh" button there a few times and get lucky. Probably easier to do that to create the password once than to write your own app. We just don't want to intentionally make 1Password support generating weaker passwords than is necessary in the vast majority of cases, as most people will simply rely on what 1Password recommends and assume it is secure regardless. Hopefully decision makers at your company will revise their password rules that needlessly result in users having passwords with much lower entropy than can be had with the same length, simply by not placing arbitrary restrictions on their composition. :blush:

• bnet
    bnet
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you anyway for your reactions. Great work with 1Password ;-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for your feedback on this. We really need to design for both security and the most common use cases, but we have some ideas for the future of the password generator that could potentially help with these kinds of edge cases as well. Cheers! :)

• MacAndre
    MacAndre
    Community Member

Yes, please. This would be a great addition. Especially as the latest blog post on 1Password X states that "1Password X now has a fully customizable password generator and it’s our best one yet!" For it really being the best one, it needs to add this!

• MacAndre
    MacAndre
    Community Member

YES, this would be a great addition. Especially because the latest 1Password X blog post states that "1Password X now has a fully customizable password generator and it’s our best one yet!". For it really being the best one, it needs this!!

• MacAndre
    MacAndre
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Sorry, somehow my first post didn't seem to have been published so I did it again...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No worries! Thanks for the feedback! We don't currently have plans for setting a specific number of digits or symbols, as the checkbox allows 1Password to randomly select one for each character, but it's something we'll continue to evaluate. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.