Retain "Last Modified" date on import

I am looking at migrating to 1Password from Keepass. After using the very useful convert_to_1p4 utility, i've now got a .1pif file with my passwords, including their creation date and last modified date.

However, when I import this into 1Password, it changes the lastmodified date for all imported entries to the time of Import. It is not instant, for a brief couple of seconds it shows the correct lastmodified date, then it changes to the clock time. I suspect that it is due to the import process adding the much maligned "imported $date" tag.

This is going to be a blocker for me unless I can find a workaround.

1Password Version: 6.8.496
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided


  • MrCMrC Community Moderator

    @Eamonh ,

    This is a bummer to hear. Hopefully this will get resolved.

    There's no reason setting that tag on import should override the time stamp - hopefully it is just a bug.

  • It gets weirder...if I open the imported vault in the web interface, the last modified date is correct. But in the windows application it shows the last modified date as the import time. I have restarted the windows application with the same result. I am looking at an entry side by side in the web site and in the windows application and they show different last modified dates.

  • I've also checked on the latest beta build 7.0.510 and the same result. i.e. entries show the import date as the "last modified" but the web interface shows the correct original "last modified" date.

  • brentybrenty

    Team Member
    edited March 2018

    @Eamonh: Thanks for reporting this. People smarter than me here were able to track down the problem (sync was updating the timestamp) and fix it for the next 1Password 7 prerelease. Hopefully it won't be too long until that's available. Let us know if you'd like to try that once it's ready. :)

    ref: opw-1988

  • Thanks, I would. I'm currently running 7.0.525. What I don't understand then is why the web version shows the correct timestamp but the windows client does not?

    I ended up importing via the mac version and the passwords all seemed correct there, but still show incorrectly in the windows version. Did opening the vault in the windows client modify the data or is it a display issue? I ask because I want to know if it is safe to add and update the imported vault or if I will need to re-import once I get the fixed version?

  • brentybrenty

    Team Member

    @Eamonh: Definitely confusing. 1Password for Windows is updating its internal database. This is a bug in the Windows app. Hopefully it won't be long until we have a new update there with the fix. I will double check, but I believe you won't have to do anything on your end apart from installing the update. :)

  • brentybrenty

    Team Member

    @Eamonh: Good news: there’s a workaround. Since this is just the time stamp in the local database, if you sign out and sign back in you should be good to go. The fix will just ensure that you don’t encounter this issue when importing data in the first place. Cheers! :)

  • All good now :)

  • brentybrenty

    Team Member

    Thanks for the update! Sorry for the earlier confusion and hassle in the first place, but it sounds like you're good to go. We're here for you if you need us though. Cheers! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file