1Password creating logins with two username and two password fields, will only export one

I am trying to export my vault and I noticed that many of my username/passwords did not export. I looked at the entries and noticed some have two username/login fields and that the one I populated did not export.

Here's a picture of two accounts, one with and one without the extra login fields: https://i.imgur.com/jb5RXyh.jpg

1Password Version: 4.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: ?

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Justauser,

That is quite strange. Do you remember how you saved these items to your 1Password vault in the first place? Did you use 1Password extension or saved them manually?

Also, please let me know if there is a particular reason why you want to export your data from 1Password. Please note that the exported data files are not encrypted, so please be careful with them. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Justauser
    Justauser
    Community Member

Thank you for the quick response. I initially imported a file, I think that may be where the problem lie. All the entries with multiple fields were created on the same day.

I want a hard copy to store in bank box. That way no matter what goes wrong there's a copy.

Is there a way I can export the extra fields? When I edit I am not shown the other login/password

Picture of editting:
    https://i.imgur.com/XP2u51M.jpg

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Justauser,

Could you please specify what file did you import? Was it .CSV file? If you still have access to that .CSV file, please try to edit it, using this guide on our website:

How to create a 1Password compatible CSV file

And then import it again. Does the issue with double fields remain? If you have a different file, please provide more info about it. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Justauser
    Justauser
    Community Member

Unfortunately, I do not have the CSV file any more. I performed the import more than a year ago. I sorted the vault by date and only the entries with the same date have double fields so I assume that was the cause.

Is there any way to edit the extra username/password fields? They are used by the export function so if I can populate them I can do a complete export.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Justauser: While I'm not sure if this will work in your case, if the data was malformed in the first place, you may be able to simply remove the unwanted fields by manually editing the item:

When you select a field, you should be able to click the - on the right to delete it. Does that help?

• Justauser
    Justauser
    Community Member

I understand what you are writing but it does not apply to my situation. Notice in the graphic, When I select an entry it shows two username/password fields with one being populated (there is also two URL fields). When I click the Edit button I am only presented one set of fields (the ones that are populated).

As a guess I'd say when I imported, my fields were labeled as username/password which matched the default fields but were somehow duplicated on import instead of populating the default username/password fields. 1password created fields with the same name as the default ones. When an entry is selected, the software shows both sets of fields but when editing it only displays one set. I think the export feature uses the default fields therefore exports empty values.

• @Justauser: By chance, do these items still fill properly in your browser? If the data itself is malformed in some way, it may be the only thing you can do is recreate these items, unfortunately. Seeing as you have no details for your items in that bottom pane brenty highlighted in his comment, I'd wager you're on the right track blaming that import. Even saving a Login in the main app, which isn't recommended generally, results in some data being saved in that bottom pane for me.

Still, if they fill properly when using the extension in spite of this, we maybe make this at least a bit easier. What I'm thinking is you turn off Auto-Submit Logins in Preferences > Logins, then open and fill each of these items in your browser, saving a new Login in your browser for each one. I'd give the new Logins a slightly different name (tack a 2 on the end, for example) to differentiate so you can later trash the bad ones.

This is the best idea I have I feel confident will work with the least fuss possible (but still more fuss than I'm sure either of us would like – sorry :frown: ).

This discussion has been closed.