Help to upgrade from version 3 to version 6

arni
arni
Community Member

I have 1 password in version 3.8.22 build 32010 and I wanted to upgrade it to the latest version 6.8.8 according to the instructions from the page https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/ unfortunately after completing the deletion of version 3 and installing the version number 6 and after running the version 6 I have information that the license has expired and the only thing I can do is add a license - is there any chance to perform the upgrade correctly?

I would like to stay with the standalone version.

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOs High Sierra
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @arni! Sorry for the confusion. You've performed the upgrade correctly, you're just not licensed for the current version of 1Password for Mac. Licenses for 1Password never "expire" - they can always be used to license the version of 1Password for which they were purchased. In your case, that's version 3, which was first released in 2009. If you still have hardware and a compatible version of OS X that you want to run 1Password 3 for Mac on, your license will work to do so.

What it won't do is give you free upgrades to the new version (currently on 6.8.8, with 1Password 7 getting ready for release in the coming months).

If you want to run the current version of 1Password for Mac (which you most definitely should - version 3 was great in its day but it's been quite a while since 2009-13), you'll need to click the 1Password menu > Purchase 1Password, which will allow you to purchase a license which can be used on as many Macs as you own/use.

• arni
    arni
    Community Member

I have 1 password in version 3.8.22 build 32010 and I wanted to upgrade it to the latest version 6.8.8 according to the instructions from the page https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/ unfortunately after completing the deletion of version 3 and installing the version number 6 and after running the version 6 I have information that the license has expired and the only thing I can do is add a license - is there any chance to perform the upgrade correctly?

I would like to stay with the standalone version.

• arni
    arni
    Community Member

There is written on website https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/ that:
    If you purchased 1Password 3 for Mac on our AgileBits Store any time after January 1, 2013, you already have a license for 1Password 6 for Mac. You can have it resent at any time.
    that is why I don't understand:
    what it won't do is give you free upgrades to the new version (currently on 6.8.8, with 1Password 7 getting ready for release in the coming months).
    Please write if I can get upgrade of version 3 to 6.8.8, what is written on website https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/.
    If I have to buy this upgrade , can I get some discount ?

Arek

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@arni: I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Did you purchase 1Password for Mac version 4? If so, your license for that will work. If not, you'll need to purchase a license for the new version in order to use it. If you do that, we can offer you a deal on the upgrade to version 7 once it's released. Just shoot us an email at support@1password.com. Or you can wait and just purchase version 7 at that time, but I can't tell you when that will be exactly. The choice is yours: if you buy it now, you get the benefit of using it in the mean time. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• arni
    arni
    Community Member

Hello

as I wrote I bought 1password in version 3 (currently I have 3.8.22) I understand that with this version you can not do free upgread to version 6? If you can not, do I have to pay for a new license? Can I get some rebate for being a user of version 3 for a new license?

Arek

• @arni,

1Password 6 for Mac is sold separately from 1Password 3 for Mac. That is one of the differences between standalone and a subscription membership. With membership all the latest versions of all of our native apps are included at no additional cost. With standalone licensing each version for each platform must be purchased separately. If you’d like to purchase a license for 1Password 6 for Mac you can do so from the menu bar within 1Password for Mac. I’d highly encourage you to at least try 1Password.com membership. I think you’ll find it provides the best 1Password experience. :)

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.