"Date Modified" timestamps updated even if password is not

leilei
leilei
Community Member

Starting from March 16, I noticed something weird: sometimes the "date modified" timestamp would just update itself even if I just copied the password without editing the record at all. Now almost all of my passwords are showing up as "new passwords" updated this month. This is annoying because I (or 1password) lost track of when a password was actually last updated. It got my attention because Dropbox keeps notifying me that 1password files and content.js were updated. This happens on all of my iOS devices, and not so often (or maybe not at all) on my computers. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

1Password Version: 7.0.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.2.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @leilei,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I can’t say that I’ve seen this myself, or heard other reports of it, but other than the annoyance of the date modified data being misleading I don’t see any reason to suspect that there is cause for worry.

What devices are you syncing with? Is this an all Apple ecosystem, or do you have some Windows PCs in the mix?

Ben

• leilei
    leilei
    Community Member

Thanks for the prompt reply, Ben. No PCs or Androids in the mix. I have Macs, but the Mac clients seem fine. I naturally panicked when I was notified that my long randomly-generated passwords were being updated when I didn't do it myself. I am glad to hear that there shouldn't be any security concern, but this also renders part of the "security audit" feature useless, as there are no old passwords anymore.

• Understood, yes, thanks. Can you please check if you are using the Agile Keychain sync format, or if you are using the OPvault format? You can check this from a Mac under 1Password > Preferences > Sync (check the file extension on the sync file in Dropbox).

Please let us know.

Ben

• leilei
    leilei
    Community Member

The file is called 1password.agilekeychain. I guess that's old and not recommended? I had this since years ago.

• Pretty much. The only time we recommend staying on Agile Keychain is if you’re using 1Password 4 for Windows. Since that isn’t the case I’d highly recommend upgrading to opvault. Instructions can be found here:

How to switch to the OPVault format from Agile Keychain

I can’t say for sure that this will resolve the issue, but either way it’ll be a step in the right direction and at a minimum it’ll allow us to check one item off the list of things that could possibly be causing this difficulty for you. :)

Ben

• leilei
    leilei
    Community Member

Will do. Thanks, Ben!

• Great. Please let us know how it turns out. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.