Rename tags / batch operations for items

Smileybarry
Smileybarry
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I originally used folders in my work vault (with sub-folders) and decided to just scrap the nesting system when I found out tags are replacing them. However, I had to manually edit each item: remove the tag named "Work/Accounts", add a new tag named "Work Accounts" and save. In this case I had maybe 1-7 items per tag so it wasn't a big deal, but reorganising bigger vaults like this would feel like a chore.

Can you add a context-menu feature for renaming an entire tag? Or even the option to multi-select several items, right-click and add/remove a tag as a batch operation.

1Password Version: 7.0.531
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1607 (Anniversary)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Smileybarry,

Thanks for requesting this!

First, you can already do most of this. Select the items and right-click to expand the tags menu, you'll be able to add a new tag there and deselect the tag to untag them like so:

Note that the / is needed to show that it is a nested tag. Let me show you what I mean, it's a secret :silenced: but here's what coming soon:

We're trying to remove the repeating names but this is what we're working on. I'm showing you this early because I don't want you to spend all of this time to clean up your nested tags only to find out we're working on this.

We will have options to rename existing tags and/or delete them too in a future update.

• @Smileybarry just in case you really want to rename some tag, you can even today:

1. select all items with that tag
    2. right click on selection to add new tag
    3. use same menu to remove old tag
  • Smileybarry
    Smileybarry
    Community Member

Oh! For some reason I didn't see this. Maybe the context menu didn't show for whatever reason; I'll try this again.

Thanks @MikeT @SergeyTheAgile !

• Hi @Smileybarry,

Check out the new 1Password 7.0.532 update we just released, it should indent tags now.

Note that it needs a parent tag too, so a/b shows up as a/b unless there's a a tag and it'll then start separating them. We will remove that requirement in a future update.

• dvmierlo
    dvmierlo
    Community Member

It would be more user friendly to allow renaming a tag.

There is also an issue with subtags. Items with subtags are not shown when the parent tag is selected. For example: ItemA has tag X and ItemB has tag X/Y. When selecting tag X, only ItemA is shown, ItemB is not shown. When selecting tag X/Y only ItemB is shown, as expected. In order to show ItemB when tag X is selected is by adding an additional X. This is overkill and not user friendly.

Another issue with subtags is that in the iOS app, the indention is not visible. Instead, tag X/Y is a separate and individual tag from tag X.

With kind regards, Dennis

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It would be more user friendly to allow renaming a tag.

Agreed. :)

There is also an issue with subtags. Items with subtags are not shown when the parent tag is selected. [...] Another issue with subtags is that in the iOS app, the indention is not visible.

Indeed, it can be a bit confusing currently but we'll be standardizing behaviour for the new nested tags feature across all the apps in future updates. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• mohammad1361
    mohammad1361
    Community Member

Hi,
    When will the next update be released? 8-)

• Hi @mohammad1361,

Whenever it is ready. :)

This discussion has been closed.