1Password 7 for Windows Beta 1 is here!

Options

We are really happy to announce that 1Password 7 for Windows Beta 1 is here! :love:

1Password 7 for Windows is ready to say Hello 👋 and unlock using your face, fingerprint or a PIN code. With support for standalone vaults, the introduction of security audit and an amazing new design, this first 1Password 7 beta is sure to impress. Save time signing into your 1Password accounts and adding one-time passwords with the new scan from my screen option and make your items as pretty as 1Password with custom icons and new badges for your favorites. Plus, you can now link items to each other as related items and add tags in bulk to keep everything perfectly organized. Give it a try in any of nine available languages and let us know what you think in this thread.

We have a blog post about this major update here: https://blog.agilebits.com/2018/03/20/introducing-1password-7-beta-for-windows/

The changelog for the first beta 1 is so massive 🚚 that it couldn't even fit here, so we'll include the link to it here.

Be sure to review our Known Issues here, so you'd be prepared for 1Password 7.

Comments

• bgsuisu
    bgsuisu
    Community Member
    Options

I just downloaded the windows 7 beta. A couple of comments as I have had windows 4 standalone for 3 years.
    The syncing to my iphone was confusing as vault was renamed. ( dropbox)
    Also a step by step process with finding the primary vault in my directory was time consuming.
    But... the new version looks terrific and I am thankful for you keeping the standalone license up to date.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bgsuisu: Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you're enjoying it, and we've got a number of usability improvements coming, especially with managing local vaults, since that's brand new in version 7. Keep an eye out for updates! :)

• Mike_Reiser
    Mike_Reiser
    Community Member
    Options

I’m using the latest beta with narrator on windows 10. It says no item in view when encountering the master password field.

Otherwise it works good aside from a few unlabeled buttons in the app.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Mike_Reiser,

Thanks for testing this for us.

Unfortunately, the master password field issue is not something we can fix, it's a known issue with Narrator. If you try NVDA, it does work. We did report it to Microsoft but haven't heard back.

Can you give us an estimate where the unlabeled buttons are, we'll get it fixed.

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member
    Options

Something I noticed in 1Password mini: The hamburger button does nothing, and the 1Password icon at the top is super fuzzy

See https://i.imgur.com/KcexOR3.png

• shinratdr
    shinratdr
    Community Member
    Options

I just have to say, I've been really worried about the Windows client for a long time. 1Password 4 was rough from day one and never really improved much. Constant issues with the Helper, very clunky design, extremely slow search, scrolling, unlock times, etc.

1Password 6 was OK, but always felt unpolished. Once local vault support was removed and I had to go back to 1Password 4, I was very upset. I've been a loyal 1Password user since 1Password 2. Bought the iOS clients day one, it's the most essential tool on any computer or device I use. The Mac and iOS clients have always been amazing, and every time you reinvent them, they get better. I would recommend 1Password to anyone in a heartbeat.

However, since I have to use 1Password 4 for Windows every day at work and it is becoming my most used client besides iOS, I was seriously struggling. I even started looking at alternatives.

I stuck around for 1Password 7 when the return of local vaults was announced and I have to say, I'm SO glad I did. I installed it the second the alpha with local vault support was added, and I was smitten. It's perfect. Sure there are bugs and whatnot, but honestly it's already tenfold better than any other client. UX is beautiful even on Windows 7, extensions are reliable, client is lightning fast, editing and saving is simple, connecting to standalone vaults is seamless. The foundation is so solid.

Just had to say, great job. You've totally redeemed yourselves in my eyes, and I'm so happy. Thanks for listening to the feedback of the community, and really working to bring the Windows client up to snuff.

• Janis
    Janis
    Community Member
    Options

Hello everyone! Yesterday I too joined to beta family and like how it's look and work. Nice job 1P team :)
    When I try to test how migrating all my data from membership to local vault (dropbox) then I can't find export button and I try select all and then share to copy in local vault but can't. Then I try select from category logins all items and share works and so I did it all items by selecting category items. But documents can't copy and even make a new one.

So here is my wishlist: :)
    1) Would be nice when will be export button to make easier migrating data from membership account to local vault.
    2) Possibility migrating documents and add a new one documents.
    3) Better like to add attachments to logins like 1Password 4 version.

Thanks again for great support and keep it up guys!

• scott_savarese
    scott_savarese
    Community Member
    Options

What version is Beta 1? I'm at 7.0.531 (autoupdated). Do I need to download a new version?

If I'm on the right version, where did the ability to create standalone vaults go? If the point of 1Password 7 is the standalone vaults, not being able to create a new one defeats that purpose, no?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

Wow, you guys have no idea how wide the smiles are on our faces right now when we woke up to this. Thanks for the great feedback.

@Stanzilla, what kind of resolution and scaling factor (100%-400%) are you using.

The hamburger is an old element that we wanted to use to expand the sidebar in the 1Password mini (think of 1Password X design) but we haven't found a way to do this yet. We do plan to redesign 1Password mini later.

However, the icon is kind of fuzzy because there is only so much details we can fit in 16x16 for regular monitors. We'll need to find a better default vault icon that has less details. Thanks for letting us know.

@shinratdr, thank you for that, it really meant a lot. It is true, it has been a rough going on Windows but it is our customers that drives us to improve 1Password and it will continue to get better, we have so much plans for this year alone, it's going to be awesome.

1Password 6 was a clean codebase where we start over, which is why it felt unpolished, it meant it would be a rough going initially while we try to implement and polish all the features that was developed in the first several years of 1Password 1-4 for Windows and other platforms. That's why 1Password 7 feels so much better, you gave us some time to make it happen and we'll continue to improve it with so many updates coming for it.

@Janis, at the moment with the first beta, we haven't look at the migration path for 1Password account users to switch to standalone vaults, we didn't think there would be many who'd want to switch back. However, we will look into it. Is there a specific reason you'd like to switch back? We'd love to know, so we can use it to improve both 1Password.com service and 1Password apps in general.

The issue is that the Documents is new to 1Password.com, it is a category that does not exist in standalone vaults and the data structure for both standalone vaults and 1Password.com are different. There may not be a perfect or automated migration from the newer format back to the older format.

1) Would be nice when will be export button to make easier migrating data from membership account to local vault.

Here's one of the differences; documents are files stored separately from any items, there's no relationship whereas in standalone vaults, attachments are attached to the items itself.

If you export, how do we import it? Do we create a new Secure Note item and attach them manually?

One of the reasons we did Documents is so that the files are standalone and you can easily share it between vaults, family members, etc without sharing the rest of the item itself.

You could also add the same Document item to any items you want multiple times as "Related Items" that's exclusive to 1Password accounts.

I'm not sure what you mean here, could you clarify?

3) Better like to add attachments to logins like 1Password 4 version.

That hasn't been implemented yet in 1Password 7 but it is definitely coming in a future beta update. This is in progress for both 1Password.com and standalone vaults; there will be a button to quickly add a new file to 1Password.com vaults (which creates a Document item and then append it to the existing item as a Related Item and the same button is reused to attach a file to the said item.

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member
    Options

2560x1440 @ 100% and yeah agree about the 16px,

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Stanzilla,

I'll let our designer knows about this. Thanks again!

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member
    Options

I played around with the master password screen because I somehow felt that that the input text placeholder made the whole thing feel asymmetrical. Not sure if this is better just yet but here you go: https://i.imgur.com/E1zyX1x.png left is mine, right is the original

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I've installed 1PW 7.0.531 on a Win10 PC that connects to the Internet using NordVPN. 1PW doesn't sync and check for updates, because it believes to be offline. This is what the log says:

I 85.397ms 7 > sync account id: 1; type: I; session id: network unavailable or not ready time: 10ms

If I disconnect from NordVPN, 1PW immediately syncs... Can you investigate this issue?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

@lammoth: If it works without the VPN, they're doing some filtering and/or scanning that is interfering with the connection, either by blocking 1Password completely or inserting itself into the certificate chain, preventing a secure connection from being established between the app and the server — in which case 1Password will rightly refuse to connect. That isn't something we have any control over, but I'd be interested to get some more information about what's going on there, if you don't mind sharing. But if you're asking us what or why their software is doing that, we couldn't tell you; you'd have to ask them. Let us know what you find. :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - thank you for the explanation. That PC is used for software development and it has many tools installed that might interfere with the normal network connectivity. If I have time, I'll create a clean environment on a VMware machine, with only 1PW and NordVPN, to check if everything works. Anyway, the VPN is only for testing purposes, so it is not a problem to shut it down when 1PW needs syncing.

However, it would be nice to add an entry to the log that explains why 1PW can't connect: no Internet access or inability to establish a secure connection. If it is the latter, my conviction would be strengthened that VPNs are not the best in terms of security (as they claim to be) and it is better to use them only to test software or to expand the Netflix catalog. :p

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty - thank you for the explanation. That PC is used for software development and it has many tools installed that might interfere with the normal network connectivity. If I have time, I'll create a clean environment on a VMware machine, with only 1PW and NordVPN, to check if everything works. Anyway, the VPN is only for testing purposes, so it is not a problem to shut it down when 1PW needs syncing.

@lammoth: Understood. I wonder if it's not the VPN so much as an interaction with something else, as I haven't yet heard of VPNs causing an issue like this. Usually it's antivirus or proxy...but I suppose the VPN could be messing with proxy settings as well. I'm glad to hear it works simply by disabling the VPN...

However, it would be nice to add an entry to the log that explains why 1PW can't connect: no Internet access or inability to establish a secure connection. If it is the latter, my conviction would be strengthened that VPNs are not the best in terms of security (as they claim to be) and it is better to use them only to test software or to expand the Netflix catalog. :p

But I agree that's still not a good experience, so we'll see if there's anything 1Password can do to work around it, or to offer a more helpful error message. I really appreciate your feedback on this. The problem is that it may not be possible for 1Password to know why it cannot connect securely. In many cases a network issues can just look like a failed TLS connection. I am only making an educated guess based on experience and the available information, so I may be wrong about some of the specifics. Would you be able to reproduce the issue and then generate a diagnostics report? That may give us some insight into what's going on, to see if there's anything actionable. If so, please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#PWR-93698-465]

If you’re reading this and you are not lammoth, this Support ID is for lammoth only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: PWR-93698-465

• Janis
    Janis
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi MikeT!
    Thank you for answers!

Is there a specific reason you'd like to switch back?

I used standalone version about 2 years and wanted try membership account and all was great I like it. I just wanted try standalone for interest how you guys have did excellent job!
    And one more reason why I installed is to get discount, because I will look after 2 months maybe I switch back to standalone version because I not travel and not use many devices. But what I like very much in membership is
    1) If something whent wrong or accidentally delete vault you can get it back, but if I delete from dropbox then all is lost.
    2) Possibility make more vaults in the same vault with single master password. (Maybe in standalone version will also be able to do so?)
    3) Can access from browser if I in place where need password and my phone is discharged.
    And so on, yes have many pluses, but I have not very much salary to pay membership and this is reason number one why I can switch back to standalone version not because do not like something in 1P account. Thanks Mhyar for 3 months free try and please say hello to Mhyar :)

I'm not sure what you mean here, could you clarify?

I mean can't copy documents to standalone vault and make a new one but no I have answer why, thanks!
    And would be nice to see when can add attachment to login, thanks when will you do it!

One more question please. When you offer discount to beta testers, how can I know it? And how long discount works?
    Cheers!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Janis: Sure thing! ON behalf of Mike, you're most welcome. Indeed, I really love 1Password.com for a reason that you appreciate but not everyone gets excited about: automatic offsite backup and item history. Peace of mind is good to have. :)

Possibility make more vaults in the same vault with single master password. (Maybe in standalone version will also be able to do so?)

Local vaults are very much standalone, so each will have their own Master Password. But when you're using more than one in the app, it will unlock using the Master Password of the vault you setup there first.

One more question please. When you offer discount to beta testers, how can I know it? And how long discount works?

As Dave mentioned in his blog post,

If you join the beta you will get access to a special discount to show our thanks for helping us get the beta polished. The code hasn’t been written yet, but in the next few months an upgrade window will appear, giving you the opportunity to purchase your license for just $39.99.

So you'll get all of the details right in the app later on, as soon as it's ready. Thanks for participating in the beta! :)

• Janis
    Janis
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again for great support :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, thanks for being awesome! :chuffed: :+1:

• Mike_Reiser
    Mike_Reiser
    Community Member
    Options

After loking at 1password with NVDA, the buttons read much better with nvda than with Narrator for some reason. I do notice that on the lock screen I can't tab to the sign in with windows hello button. Also, when I try to install the latest update, it says it can't replace 1password.exe because the process is in use. I'm guessing I should update manually?

Mike

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member
    Options

Apart from the alignment issue (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/418168/#Comment_418168) I noticed that when you right click an editbox in Chrome (was on Github.com) to spawn 1Password, it does not get keyboard focus, so when you start typing you type into the original editbox instead of the 1Password prompt.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Mike_Reiser,

After loking at 1password with NVDA, the buttons read much better with nvda than with Narrator for some reason.

Yea, we're not sure what's up with Narrator but they're working on improving it in each Windows 10 update. Even though I'm not a primary user for these critical tools, I find NVDA to be years ahead and very valuable for testing, especially its Speech Viewer tool. We did make a donation to NVDA to keep them going.

I do notice that on the lock screen I can't tab to the sign in with windows hello button.

With NVDA or Narrator? Narrator prevented me from pressing the enter key for some weird reason.

You can actually press the enter key in the empty Master Password field to trigger Hello.

Also, when I try to install the latest update, it says it can't replace 1password.exe because the process is in use. I'm guessing I should update manually?

That may happen if one of your 1Password extensions is in use while 1Password is being updated. Technically, 1Password should've informed all browser extensions to exit and wait 20 seconds before resuming.

I would recommend if possible, close your browsers and then update 1Password, it should then work.

If not, can you tell me which anti-malware solution you're using?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Stanzilla,

I'm not able to reproduce this. Here's the video of me doing this on Github with 1Password not running and with 1Password running.

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member
    Options

Meh, now obviously I am not able to repro anymore. It was not on the main login page, it was an additional security check on a https://github.com/$org/$project/settings/hooks page :/ will report back when I can repro again.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Stanzilla,

That's pretty much the reason why we can't fix it. We need a consistent list of steps to reproduce this, I've spent like a whole week doing everything to break it but I couldn't. 😢

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - About the NordVPN sync issue...

I found the solution and, as you said, the problem was due to a third-party software. The culprit was a service from HP: LanWlanSwitchingService pointing to executable C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Hotkey Support\LanWlanSwitchingService.exe.

Now the service is disabled and 1PW perfectly syncs also through the VPN.

Thank you for support...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lammoth: Likewise, thank you for sharing this! It may help others who encounter a similar issue on HP hardware. I'm actually familiar with that app from years ago, but it never would have occurred to me to look at that. I can't imagine why that would interfere. I'll have to poke around more.

• iKay
    iKay
    Community Member
    Options

I hope to join the Chinese version

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iKay: Thanks! We've got some work to do, both in the new Windows app and on 1Password.com, to add Chinese support, but it's something we're working toward. :)

This discussion has been closed.