Chrome Store Extension vs. Direct Extention

New to 1Password. I am in the process of getting all of my devices how I like them. I use a MacBook for personal, Windows for work and iOS devices. I originally downloaded the full application for my Windows 7 machine and then I installed the Chrome extension from the Chrome store. I noticed that the extension was not doing what I told it to in the settings for the full Windows program.

Under settings/browsers I noticed Connected Browsers (Chrome was not listed) and Install Browser extension. I deleted the Chrome store sourced extension and installed the direct extension provided through the full application. All good, I get how they need to talk to each other similar to the Mac process.

However, the Chrome extension looks and feels different than the Chrome store version (I liked the look and feel of the Chrome store extension). Anything to be concerned about? Which is better for me to have? Am I correct that I need the direct sourced extension for these to sync?

Thanks in advance for your patience from a new user (coming from LastPass).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LarryJoe33: Thanks for reaching out! Sorry for the confusion there. We currently have two extensions for Chrome:

• The 1Password desktop extension. This works with the native apps, so it's a bit more powerful. This is the one you would have installed from 1Password for Windows. This will work whether you have a 1Password.com membership or purchased the standalone app.
    • 1Password X. This is a self-contained browser extension for Chrome. There is no app required, so a lot of people use this when they can't install the apps or prefer not to for some reason. This is probably the one you got from the Chrome Web Store. It only works with 1Password.com memberships.

So, if you have a 1Password.com subscription, you can use either one. It's just a matter of preference. 1Password X is newer and a bit easier to use in some ways, but lacks some of the more advanced features that are only possible in the desktop extension which can integrate with the app. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• LarryJoe33
    LarryJoe33
    Community Member

This helps a lot. I like the feature to be able to automatically fill and submit which you can't do with the iPassword X Chrome app correct? Yeah, it is a little bit clunky for Windows Chrome app, but I can deal with it for my work machine. Fortunately, the Mac desktop and Safari extension look and work nicely together.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@LarryJoe33 - if you're referring to Open & Fill, where you click an item in the 1Password app or extension, and it launches your browser (if necessary), visits the saved URL, fills your credentials and submits them for you, then no, 1Password X cannot (yet) do that for you. You can open the page, after which the 1Password X icon should appear for you in the username/email field, and with a second click, you can fill your data (you will still have to click a third time, to submit the data). Glad to hear you're well on your way; let us know if you run into any other snags or have additional questions.

• LarryJoe33
    LarryJoe33
    Community Member

Understood and thanks for the confirmation. I'll stick with 1Password 6 extension for this functionality. I don't love the look and feel as it doesn't seem to match the Mac application and safari extension on my Mac, but it's fine for what I want to do, which is sign in and launch with the least clicks.

On a side note, your support here and via email is incredible. Responsive and comprehensive. Never had this level of support with LastPass which is a big reason I switched. I was a paid user of LastPass for 7-8 years. When I started using a Mac a few years ago I was underwhelmed by Mac development and support, specifically with Safari.

• @LarryJoe33: You actually can "Go and Fill" with 1Password X, it's the open bit it can't do. You'll need to open Chrome yourself, but once you've done that, from whatever page you're on, you can open 1Password X (Ctrl + Shift + X on Windows), then start typing to search for the Login you want to use. Once it pops up at the top of the list, press enter and 1Password X will go to the site and fill for you. It won't autosubmit, but a quick Enter will sign you in. If you're already on a sign-in page, a quick down arrow will open the inline menu and, unless you have more than one item for that site, another down arrow, plus an enter will fill and sign you in.

This may still not be what you're looking for, but I've found the ability to use the keyboard exclusively makes me much quicker. Plus, I suppose it technically meets your requirements, because the only click required is to open Chrome. :wink: Might be worth giving it another try focusing on using the keybaord, if you prefer the look of 1Password X. :chuffed:

• LarryJoe33
    LarryJoe33
    Community Member

Thanks and understood. I played with it all day and I have started to use the keyboard shortcut on both Windows and Mac. It certainly is handy. Command \ on the Mac and Control \ on Windows correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LarryJoe33: Yep! That's it. I use it all the time myself, sometimes without thinking. Be sure to let us know if there's anything else we can help with. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.