Do I need iOS premium if I have 1Password account on MacBook?

Steven Harness
Steven Harness
Community Member

I have the 1Password app on my iPad and an account on Mac. They sync OK but my iPad seems to have limited functionality. The safari extension isn’t available as an option and there is an option to go Premium. My passwords are available but there is no prompt when I use browser to log in. Confused I am. Advice please

1Password Version: 7.06
Extension Version: None available
OS Version: 11.2.6
Sync Type: Icloud
Referrer: forum-search:Do I need iOS premium if I have 1Password account on MacBook?

Comments

• Hi @Steven Harness

If by a 1Password account you mean you have a 1Password.com subscription membership then the answer is no, you don't need anything further. You'd just need to sign into that account on the iPad to unlock all of the features. If you don't have a 1Password.com membership then you would not have what we would call an "account," and the purchase of the Pro features for iOS would be separate from any 1Password for Mac purchase(s).

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Steven Harness
    Steven Harness
    Community Member

Thank you for the response. You are quite right, I do not have an “account”. Mine was a one payment purchase. I am quite happy to purchase the premium package if it is also a once only package. Would it give me full functionality and link to 1Password on my Mac? It still seems a confusing combination of offers or maybe it’s just my age and general dimwittedness.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

Thank you for the response. You are quite right, I do not have an “account”. Mine was a one payment purchase.

@Steven Harness: Ah, gotcha. Indeed, then you'd be using the standalone app. You'd only have an account if you'd signed up for a 1Password.com membership.

I am quite happy to purchase the premium package if it is also a once only package. Would it give me full functionality and link to 1Password on my Mac?

No. A 1Password.com membership is a subscription. And purchasing 1Password for iOS does not include 1Password for Mac or any of the other apps. The only way to get all of the apps together seamlessly is with the membership.

It still seems a confusing combination of offers or maybe it’s just my age and general dimwittedness.

No. It's not you; it's a bit confusing. We could make it considerably simpler by getting rid of all of the options besides 1Password.com memberships, but that would negatively affect you and others who have been using the standalone apps and perhaps want to continue to. Otherwise you'd need to either sign up for a membership or stop using 1Password. So we've kept around both models. Unfortunately you can't have it both ways and neither can we though: it will continue to be complex as long as we continue to offer the option to purchase the standalone apps separately, but the flipside of that is you will need to purchase 1Password for iOS separately if you choose not to pay for a 1Password.com membership. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions!

This discussion has been closed.