To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

New to 1Password.com

This discussion was created from comments split from: Transfer from standalone version to membership - suggestions..

Comments

• generhough
    generhough
    Community Member

Oh my god. I’ve been super busy but of course I have to use 1Password throughout the day so had an inkling. But this data is my digital life - and it sounds like a day project. I’ve got to “migrate” my local vaults to my primary? What does that mean? You mean the move entry to different vault function? Which I’ve been using to move stuff from the default vault (primary) to individual vaults tandt lo allow for selective access to different people. Now, I’ve got to move them all back? Then delete the empty subbaults? Then nuke the primary vault? With the secret key I have long lost? But apparently is not so secret after all and there are suggestions on how to get it from a running machine? I just read once I get a membership, my folders will be replaced with tags. But I only have tags, never had folders, and have always wondered why everyone else seemed to have both. But first tings first, I register for an account? By coincidence I’m setting up a small business (trying to) so just set up a 1Pass for Teams - don’t fully get it but do have an account, where I gave an email, username and password, and given an URL. Now, I have to run - been so busy 24/7 have not had time to handle the traffic tix (originally $5 now $800,), etc., so they are auctioning my car today if I don’t get going. When does my digital password world end? In the interim is there a function where I can just get everything printed out? Thanks in advance, Gene.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Oh my god. I’ve been super busy but of course I have to use 1Password throughout the day so had an inkling. But this data is my digital life - and it sounds like a day project. I’ve got to “migrate” my local vaults to my primary? What does that mean? You mean the move entry to different vault function?

@generhough: If you have been using 1Password as a standalone app your purchased a license for, yo'll have a local (Primary) vault there. Those are not at all associated with a 1Password.com account, as those didn't exist for the first decade of 1Password's history. So if you sign up for a 1Password.com membership, the migration process is to move your data from the local (Primary) vault to your 1Password.com account's Personal/Private vault.

Which I’ve been using to move stuff from the default vault (primary) to individual vaults tandt lo allow for selective access to different people. Now, I’ve got to move them all back? Then delete the empty subbaults? Then nuke the primary vault?

Nope! If you switch to a 1Password.com account you can keep using some local vaults if you want, or create additional vaults in your account to move the data in your other local vaults to. It's up to you.

With the secret key I have long lost?

Unless you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership, you won't have an account or a Secret Key, or a Sign In Address.

But apparently is not so secret after all and there are suggestions on how to get it from a running machine?

Well, it's a secret unless you give it away by telling it to someone or giving them access to it on your machine. We suggest not doing that. ;)

I just read once I get a membership, my folders will be replaced with tags. But I only have tags, never had folders, and have always wondered why everyone else seemed to have both.

Indeed, I've always been a fan of tags myself, since folders are inflexible. In that case, if you had to folders in the first place, this doesn't affect you at all. Your tags will become...tags when you switch to 1Password.com. ;)

But first tings first, I register for an account? By coincidence I’m setting up a small business (trying to) so just set up a 1Pass for Teams - don’t fully get it but do have an account, where I gave an email, username and password, and given an URL. Now, I have to run - been so busy 24/7 have not had time to handle the traffic tix (originally $5 now $800,), etc., so they are auctioning my car today if I don’t get going.

A 1Password Teams account gives you all of the features of other 1Password.com memberships, but includes a lot of advanced controls so you can share vaults securely with colleagues. Definitely let us know if you have any questions about that. You can also email us directly at support@1password.com

When does my digital password world end?

Well, hopefully it doesn't. That's why we charge sustainable prices for our products: so we can continue developing and supporting 1Password for you and the rest of our awesome customers. :)

But, worst case scenario, you always have a local copy of your data in the app, so you can export it if needed.

In the interim is there a function where I can just get everything printed out? Thanks in advance, Gene.

We do not recommend printing, as printers usually save digital copies of everything they print. And putting everything on paper means that no one needs to even bother trying to get the "keys" to your 1Password vault. They just need to find your printed copy. But if you really want to, you could export the data and print it that way. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.