Mac: how do I sync my local password vaults with a new 1password.com

stlcole
stlcole
Community Member
edited February 2018 in Mac

I have had 1password installed on my Mac for years. I set up a subscription on 1password.com today. The Mac client recognized that I set up an account and automatically linked to the online account. The online account set up a new vault. I cannot figure out how to sync my local vaults to this online account. It did not happen automatically.

EDIT: I have two local vaults. The primary vault syncs to iCloud. The second value only can be synced to dropbox. Apparently, if you have more than 1 vault, the automatic syncing does not happen. I would like both vaults synced to my 1password.com account. In fact, that's rather important.

EDIT2: After much clicking around, I figured out how to set up new online vaults and how to move my passwords from my local vaults to their corresponding online vaults. Nothing about this was obvious. I had to restore from backup once, and honestly, having to do that with a collection of important passwords is uncomfortable. I suggest some kind of visual vault manager interface which makes it easy to direct a collection of passwords from one place to another. Additionally, it would be helpful if the process of moving/copying was confirmed as part of the process. It would be reassuring if there was a simple window which says copying to destination Vault #vaultname .. validating passwords in destination value #vaultname .. deleting passwords in source Vault #vaultname. I do hope there is a rather sophisticated process involved in moving local passwords to an online destination.

What do I do?

RECOMMENDATION: In Preferences/All Vaults, I should be able to right click on any vault and perform actions on those vaults such as backup or move to 1password.com

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: iCloud, dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

Welcome to the forum, @stlcole! OK, a lot to unpack in your post:

I set up a subscription on 1password.com today. The Mac client recognized that I set up an account and automatically linked to the online account.

That shouldn't be the case. I'm not sure how your 1Password for Mac version would "know" you've created a 1password.com account. We try to make it pretty easy to add your account into the 1Password apps, but what you mentioned is a trick we haven't mastered just yet. Can you elaborate a bit further on this one for me?

I have two local vaults. The primary vault syncs to iCloud. The second value only can be synced to dropbox. Apparently, if you have more than 1 vault, the automatic syncing does not happen.

"Automatic syncing" only really happens with 1password.com accounts. With standalone 1Password and local data, you are responsible for setting up manual sync for your various vaults. You're quite right that iCloud sync only works for your Primary vault; if you have additional local vaults set up, you will need to use a different sync method (Dropbox) to sync those vaults, if you choose to keep them.

I'm glad you figured out how to get your data moved over from your previous existing local vaults into your 1password.com account vaults -- it sounds like you're all set now? I wasn't 100% sure, so correct me if that's not the case. Meantime, thanks for the feedback regarding the ease (or lack thereof) of figuring this all out. It's not the easiest process in the world, but we do try to provide some guidance and assistance along the way without being overly obtrusive into the user experience. The process is much easier if you have only a single, Primary vault. If that's the case, then the process should be as automatic as described in the video on this page.

However, if you have multiple local vaults, 1Password doesn't know what you want to do with the data in terms of transferring it, so the process is slightly more involved. When you first sign up for an account, for example, you'll see the following box at the top-left of the first screen you land on, after signing into your account on the web:

Clicking on the "Install the apps" in that image will take you to a page that's specific to your account, that looks like this (I removed the Setup Code from this image):

Clicking on the "Already have the apps" link in that image will ask you if you want to open this link in 1Password, and if you click yes, will open 1Password and import the sign-in data (URL, your email address, and Secret Key), except for your Master Password. Enter your Master Password and you'll get your account imported into 1Password for Mac. From there, you can follow these instructions to move your data from your old vaults into your new 1password.com vault(s). And finally, you can remove your old vaults by switching to them in the Vault Menu and clicking on 1Password > Delete (name of vault).

• HelVince
    HelVince
    Community Member

Hello.
    I am having similar issues.
    After migrating to a new online 1password.com family account, I was able to migrate my Mac (previously synced using DropBox) data. I am not sure why (I think I did not have the time to finalize the process initially?), but now that I have installed 1password 6 on my mac, I was asked to migrate (I guess again) my previous vault to my new [family account].1password.com and was asked to delete my old vault, which I did.
    However, since I had migrated my data to a shared vault using the online tool, I now have a duplicate (already incomplete) private vault.
    How can I solve this issue without loosing data?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HelVince: Correct. Instead of following the instructions Lars gave you above, you migrated the same data twice. You'll either need to remove the unwanted copies of items manually or start over by deleting everything in the account and migrating your data again only once. :(

This discussion has been closed.