i am using 1password with dropbox sync for 3 years and on pc i manually type password and username

Options

1) I am using 1password with dropbox syn for 3yrs but on pc i manually type password and username for login websites. Is this practice safe. I do not want to use 1password 4 at my pc at office because the master password being too long it becomes difficult to type the entire password just to open some sites, 2) if I choose to subsribe 1password account can i reduce the password length since you claim the secret key also adds up. . 3) if i choose 1password account if local copy of data gets deleted or corrupted will this effect my vaults on your servers.
Please advice My ios app is latest

1Password Version: 7.00
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:manually entering password in pc

Comments

• anurag
    anurag
    Community Member
    Options

On iphone i open the 1password vault with finger touch

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @anurag,

Thank you for reaching out and using 1Password!

1) I am using 1password with dropbox syn for 3yrs but on pc i manually type password and username for login websites. Is this practice safe. I do not want to use 1password 4 at my pc at office because the master password being too long it becomes difficult to type the entire password just to open some sites

Am I right to understand that you look your passwords up in 1Password on your iPhone and then manually type them in on your PC? I would say that it is safe, but it defeats the very purpose 1Password. We recommend you to use 1Password everywhere, including your PC. If you increase Auto-lock period in the app, you won't have to enter your Master Password every time. Here is how you can use 1Password extension on your desktop:

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Windows PC

2) if I choose to subscribe 1password account can i reduce the password length since you claim the secret key also adds up.

When you have 1Password account, your Master Password needs to be at least 10 characters long. We have a comprehensive article on how to choose a good (and memorable!) Master Password. Please check it out:

How to choose a good Master Password

Moreover, with 1Password account you will be able to use Windows Hello in 1Password 7 in order to unlock 1Password with your fingerprint or face recognition. Please let me know if you are interested. :)

3) if i choose 1password account if local copy of data gets deleted or corrupted will this effect my vaults on your servers.

With 1Password membership account, our server is the central truth server that tells the local 1Password apps what data needs to be updated or pulled. If something happens to your local copy of data, you will always be able to sign in to your account via web interface at 1Password.com or download the app and sign in to your account anew. I hope it helps.

Feel free to raise any other questions, if you have them, we are always ready to help. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• anurag
    anurag
    Community Member
    Options

1)if i subscirbe to 1password account can i keep 1vault standalone and other vault with 1password.com. I have iphone pro version of your app. but in windows pc 1password 7 will it work. 2) If want to change master password in 1password.com than whether we have to regenerate the account key 3) Whether i can change the email address in the middle of the annual subscription.
    please advice

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1) if i subscirbe to 1password account can i keep 1vault standalone and other vault with 1password.com. I have iphone pro version of your app. but in windows pc 1password 7 will it work.

1Password 7 for Windows will receive support for both standalone vaults and 1Password accounts. You can download the beta version now and give it a try. However, using a standalone vault and 1Password account at the same time can easily become confusing, so please be careful.

2) If want to change master password in 1password.com than whether we have to regenerate the account key

When you change Master Password for your account, you do not need to regenerate your Secret Key. Please check this article on how to change your Master Password, if you have account, or this article about your Secret Key.

3) Whether i can change the email address in the middle of the annual subscription.

You can always change the email address for your account when you sign in to your account and go to your profile
    at my.1password.com/profile. If you change your email address or regenerate your Secret Key, we recommend you to generate new Emergency Kit. Here is what it is:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Let me know if it helps. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.