1Password and iCloud drive for windows

Hi!
I already read other topics about sync using icloud drive that you haven't a way to use Apple's CloudKit service with windows, but last topic was from 2016, there are update about that?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RedFoxy,

Thank you for reaching out! :+1:

We are bringing the local folder sync to 1Password 7 for Windows, but since CloudKit is not supported on Windows, you won't be able to use it to sync your data in 1Password between your Windows PC and Apple devices.

The best way to use 1Password right now is with 1Password account, where you shouldn't worry about syncing at all. However, if you prefer local vaults (although if you sync it via iCloud or Dropbox it is that local), you should be able to use Dropbox to sync your data.

Is there a particular reason why you want to sync your data via iCloud on Windows? Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• RedFoxy
    RedFoxy
    Community Member

Hi @Greg!
    Thank you for your answer, I use iCloud drive because I move all my data on a personal cloud (Next/own cloud, ) and 1Password doesn't support webdav sync, so I can use only iCloud Drive.
    I use 1Password mainly on my my MBP, iMac, iPad and iPhone, and sometimes with windows on Parallels and Bootcamp, when I was with dropbox I can sync it but now I can't do it, I've already a full licences on all my systems, so I don't think that I'll get an online subscription for same service, there is another software like owncloud/nextcloud but that 1password supports?

• @RedFoxy: Between the MBP, your Windows setup, and the iMac, you could actually use folder sync in 1Password 7 to sync however you'd like. Essentially, all that needs to happen is that all of these devices need to be able to access the folder your vault is syncing to via some variety of sync service. Even a network folder would work. It's a bit more on the advanced side of things, but given you're already syncing ample data via an owncloud setup, I'd wager you'd manage.

The trouble you'll run into is with the iOS devices. iOS doesn't support local folders on the OS level, so folder sync isn't an option there. As such, there's not a great option to handle all of those devices beyond Dropbox or a 1Password membership, I'm afraid.

That said, a 1Password membership is much more than just the 1Password apps and we've really put a lot of detailed thought into the security of our own sync service I think you'd appreciate. You can learn the basics of our security design here and, if it suits your fancy, take a deeper dive with our Security Design White Paper. Of course, the choice of how to sync your data is yours and, if nothing else, I have my fingers crossed that we'll be able to offer folder sync on iOS one day so that you'll have more freedom to choose the sync method you're most comfortable with. :chuffed:

• RedFoxy
    RedFoxy
    Community Member

Thank you for answer!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Kate, you are most welcome! Cheers! :)

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member

The trouble you'll run into is with the iOS devices. iOS doesn't support local folders on the OS level, so folder sync isn't an option there.

Would it work to use WLAN sync between the mac and iOS devices to work around that issue?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@bkh: While you are able to sync your data between Mac and iOS devices using WLAN Server sync, you won't be able to sync multiple computers. What devices are you planning to sync? Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

@Greg, Kate was replying to RedFoxy that folder sync was possible between the mac and windows machines 5 posts above, but folder sync wouldn't work for RedFoxy's iOS devices. So I was wondering if WLAN sync could link those iOS devices to the mac thereby locally syncing together all of RedFoxy's machines despite the lack of folders/filesystems on iOS. In other words, use WLAN sync on the mac as a bridge between the iOS devices and the group of mac/pc machines that are locally folder sync'd.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bkh: Folder sync would allow you to keep the data in iCloud Drive, but that won't work at all on iOS, as that can only access data sync'd using CloudKit. You could take the extra step of using WLAN Server to sync between the Mac and the iOS (or Android) device, but that doesn't help those using only Windows computers.

• msplb74
    msplb74
    Community Member

what file would i point onepassword on the pc to in the icloud drive on my PC? Using dropbox isn't really an option at this point for me. Would like to stay using onepass if I can...

• msplb74
    msplb74
    Community Member

a onedrive option would also be a possiblity my end.

• MikeT
    edited October 2018

Hi @msplb74,

You would direct 1Password to your iCloud Drive folder and it'll create the file for you automatically. The vault file or folder on Windows uses the .OPVault file extension. The vault name would be the name of your vault you chose when creating the vault in 1Password.

You can use this guide for more information: https://support.1password.com/local-folder/

This discussion has been closed.