1Password extension to Firefox does nothing

I installed the free personal 1Password for Windows on Windows 8.1. I then installed the Extension (add-on). The add-on icon is grayed out and does not respond to mouse clicks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• DavidSpector
    DavidSpector
    Community Member

Extension was for Firefox. All versions latest.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

Hi @DavidSpector,

Thank you for getting in touch! Please make sure that you have Native Messaging enabled in 1Password:

• If you have 1Password 4: 1) Go to Help > Advanced > put the checkmark next to Use Native Messaging protocol. 2) Go to Help > Restart 1Password Helper.

• If you have 1Password 6: go to Settings > Advanced and enable Native Messaging for Firefox and Chrome under 1Password Browser Extension Integration.

Once you do that, please restart 1Password and browser, and let me know if it works after that. Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• DavidSpector
    DavidSpector
    Community Member
    1. I cannot find either Help or Settings. Nor is there any indication of version 4 or 6. I downloaded the latest version for Windows from the 1Password website. I cannot send a screenshot of what appears when I visit my.1password.com/home .

2. This forum does not send me email when you make a reply in it. It is the only one that doesn't.

• DavidSpector
    DavidSpector
    Community Member
    1. LastPass works right out of the box. I'm only investigating 1password because LastPass won't autofill a site I use often.
      I guess all password managers have bugs.
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DavidSpector - You can look in the Windows Start menu to see what version you have installed; it will either say 1Password 4 or 1Password 6. You may also want to familiarize yourself with the Get to Know 1Password for Windows guide (presuming you have 1Password 6 for Windows); it's a great resource with a lot of screenshots for where things are and how to navigate around. The Settings menu is the gear-shaped icon, as seen in the lighter-blue bar at the bottom-left of this image.

Regarding our forum, you can set your notifications preferences to how you'd like them by clicking on your avatar image at the top of the page (this will bring up your profile), and then at the top-right of the orange bar on the profile page, click the drop-down menu. This will get you to the Edit Profile screen. Choose "Notifications Preferences" from the left sidebar and you can choose whether to be notified by email, popup or both for a variety of actions, including when others reply to your post(s).

I guess all password managers have bugs.

All software has bugs, not just password managers. But none of what you're describing above is a necessarily a bug. Can you please try Greg's earlier instructions now that I've included directions on where to find the Settings menu, and let us know how that works for you?

• DavidSpector
    DavidSpector
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Unfortunately, I still cannot access 1Password on Firefox. I'm beginning to lose my hopes for 1Password as a good replacement for LastPass, which at least does work fast and easily for most websites.

Details of what I've done:

1. Windows 8.1 does not have a Start Menu the way other versions have, because it's oriented toward touchpads. So I'm not sure where to look for the menu you mention. The Windows Startup menu (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp) does not list 1Password, and neither does the standard Programs menu (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs).

So I still do not know if the latest version of 1Password for Windows is version 4 or 6. Perhaps you can figure it out. I'm surprised there is no About... menu item to self-identify the version number as there is in most software.

1. There is no obvious gear icon in my Vault at [redacted by AgileBits, this is a public forum].

So I don't know how to navigate to the interesting place shown in your screenshot. I've never seen it myself. It doesn't look like the Vault, which I have played with.

1. There is no avatar image at the top of this forum page, unless the smily face is it. When I click on my name I get my account page. But there is no orange bar. There is a blue bar that gets me to Edit Profile. I'm able to check the checkbox "Notify me when people comment on my discussions". My suggestion would be that this checkbox be checked by default, as it would be in most online forums, which notify posters of replies by email by default.
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DavidSpector - When you looked at the screenshot in the instructions at the link I sent, does that look like the kind of UI you're seeing? If so, you have 1Password 6. Another way to tell would be to visit C:\Program Files (x86)\ and see if 1Password 4 is there. If not, you don't have 1Password 4.

I'm surprised there is no About... menu item to self-identify the version number as there is in most software.

There is. If from the main window of 1Password 4, choose Help > About 1Password. This will tell you the specific version number. If you can't find that, you're not using 1Password 4. In 1Password 6, choose Help and you should see a "Release Notes for..." tag at the bottom of that window which should tell you what version you are running. Please check these spots to find your version, then follow Greg's instructions regarding Native Messaging.

But there is no orange bar. There is a blue bar that gets me to Edit Profile.

My apologies: orange is for team members, which is what I see. Blue is for regular forum users. I'm glad you were able to find it despite the confusion.

I'm able to check the checkbox "Notify me when people comment on my discussions".

Excellent! I'm glad you were able to find that. :) Let us know if you're able to determine what version of 1Password you have installed, and whether "Enable Native Messaging" was checked - or if enabling it solved your issue.

• DavidSpector
    DavidSpector
    Community Member

Someone contacted me when my trial expired and asked me to re-install 1P. That fixed the problem; this ticket can be closed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DavidSpector - thanks for the update, glad to hear you're squared away now. 😊👍🏻

This discussion has been closed.