Cannot insert a tab character in 1Password 7

Options
timclutton
timclutton
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

In 1Password 4 it was possible to insert a tab character using Ctrl+Tab. In 1Password 7 this simply moves focus to the next field, identical to pressing just the Tab key.

It's also not possible to paste a tab character in. It gets converted to a space. Oddly, all of my entries migrated from 1Password 4 have retained any tabs chars they had.

Please add this back into 1Password 7. I hadn't realised how much I used it until I couldn't!

1Password Version: 7.0.532.BETA
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: Win10 (1709)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@timclutton: Thanks for getting in touch! We don't have plans for that since modern Windows apps use Tab to switch between fields, but it's something we'll continue to evaluate. Can I ask though: what's up with all the tabs? What's the specific use case? I'm hard pressed to think of a time where I've wanted to add tabbed text to a login item or whatever. Thanks in advance!

• timclutton
    timclutton
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply @brenty.

For login items I use tabs a lot for keeping supplementary account information in an easy to parse way in the 'notes' field. As an example, secret questions and answers, like so (don't worry; these are all freshly pulled out of the generator :smile: ):

first car: CB]2BrgE-g>Y,DrxzvWy=gX]
    first school: U*:TivrHyd}xP],@,9uT6^Zp
    first pet: cw_-b#A:D>!U-m-=i7.aQ78r

Since the font isn't fixed width you can't pad evenly with spaces (and that way lies madness...). But throw a couple of tabs in there and my brain starts kicking around the endorphins like its 1999.

I also have a lot of secure notes which I also try to keep organised in the same way.

Clearly you should follow the default UX pattern for keybindings, but I'm not aware of Ctrl+Tab for a tab char, in a text field, conflicting with anything else. And at the moment it is wasted as simply a duplicate of the Tab key alone.

If the above hasn't convinced you to reinstate the key combo, is there any reason why tabs can't be a supported char when pasted in?

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

• MikeT
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi @timclutton,

I'm a little curious as to why you're not using custom fields to organize these data like so:

If you have a lot of data like this, you can create a template by making a Secure Note item, save it with the said custom fields but without its value. Then, duplicate that template item to create new items from it. That way, you just use the built-in generator for each field to generate a new passphrase.

1Password.com will be getting custom templates in the future, it's currently an experimental feature but we hope to release it in the near future.

If the above hasn't convinced you to reinstate the key combo, is there any reason why tabs can't be a supported char when pasted in?

The problem is that 1Password 7 uses a simple text field for the Notes that does not encode or convert characters when you paste them in, it takes it in as a simple text.

However, this will change because we're going to be supporting Markdown hopefully later this year as announced in our blog post about 1Password 7 for macOS: https://blog.agilebits.com/2018/03/28/the-1password-7-beta-for-mac-is-lit-and-you-can-be-too/

To support it, we'll need to rebuild the secure notes and note fields completely to allow input and output of rich text formatting. Here's a screenshot if you don't want to look at the blog post:

• David Clonts
    David Clonts
    Community Member
    Options

I have a Secure Note listing all my subscriptions in one place.

You gotta have tabs to align columns--thats what tabs are for.

• Hi @David Clonts,

Thanks for letting us know. We may be able to incorporate that when we introduce the Markdown support in the future.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's still a bit of a square-peg-round-hole thing though, as 1Password isn't designed to replace spreadsheets. For what it's worth, tags are really useful for organizing things in 1Password though. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.