[7.0.532] Speaking of Previously Used Passwords

Options
AlwaysSortaCurious
AlwaysSortaCurious
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Are they disappearing from the UI? I would swear that I have a previously used password list in my 1Password item that you guys generate on account set up and now there are none. I found another item where it did exist (previous passwords), but maybe it is a hit or miss bug. Recently changed my password again and that field was there IIRC.

Hmmm.... maybe I am wrong, just checked the web UI and it isn't there either now in the 1Password default item.

Anyway, let me leave this here in case I am right.

(and btw, how many previously used passwords do we track here?)

(OK, so like I have access to sumo logic at work, and when the focus is off, sometimes I type the master password in the wrong field... and then I go looking for it. If I can find it in Sumo, time to change it... again. So there should be several by now).

1Password Version: 7.0.532
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @AlwaysSortaCurious,

Thanks for writing in and no, nothing has changed.

We don't have a limit, it'll keep them forever. They're a part of the item itself, they do not change in time nor something we generate on the fly. Each time you change a password, the old one get moved into this section.

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. When i get home, ill double check and post a screenshot if needed.

• carlylemiii
    carlylemiii
    Community Member
    Options

They are missing for me on 7.0.532, as well. I compared on 1Password.com and in the app to make sure I really do have previous passwords. They display on web but not in the Windows (or Android, but I don't know if that was ever a feature) app.

• MikeT
    edited March 2018
    Options

Also, check out the item's Item History on 1Password.com web app, we keep a copy of each change to the item automatically for up to a year for Individual/Families accounts.

One thing is if you've duplicated the item, it does not retain the password history.

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT

Password history option is Missing from both the web ui and app (latest window beta) for the 1Password item. No duplication of entry,

However, there is something interesting in the item history.

The password I set up in 1Password item, on March 20th, shows up in the 1password history for March 2 and couple of times at that. I get the feeling that the whole history feels shifted by X. That's is strictly supposition, but the missing history button in the UI and in the App is real.

what do you need from me?

Web UI

App UI

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Not using X at all. I mean the web site standard. And the Windows Beta.

• MikeT
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi @AlwaysSortaCurious,

I apologize for my confusion, I misread your statement "history feels shifted by X" as 1Password X and deleted my last post.

Do you recall what you were doing to this specific item on March 22, 4:51PM?

It looks like this item may have been replaced when it was updated but we don't replace items in the Windows app. Given that we have not changed how this works for several months in the Windows app, I'm not sure what may have changed in your situation. Do you know if anything else changed beside using 1Password 7 Beta for Windows?

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

Was updating the master password through my profile. Dont think i did anything else.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @AlwaysSortaCurious,

Just to be clear,

1. You signed into your 1Password account on 1Password.com, (which browser?)
    2. You've changed your master password, did 1Password extension prompt to update your Login item at this point?
  • AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

1) Yes. I changed it there. Through the Change master password UI on the web site.
    2) Yes, but I said not now.

In reviewing the item history again more closely, I have what appears to be two entries from March 2, with the same exact timestamp. One entry contains the password from this past week (which wasn't conceived of even then), the other the prior master password

Also, not against changing my master password to help troubleshoot and see what happens, but I have resisted until you want me to...

If this helps???

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @AlwaysSortaCurious,

Don't try to reproduce yet, I want to reproduce this myself but I need to understand what you did to figure out where it happened.

Two changes at the same time sounds like a sync conflict. You said:

The password I set up in 1Password item, on March 20th, shows up in the 1password history for March 2 and couple of times at that.

Did both changes on March 2nd at 10:48PM have password history? I want to make sure it is only the March 20th that stopped having the password history.

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Since I don't have the password history drop down, I will refer only to the item history. AFAIK, there is no real way in item history to find the altered element, it seems to be a whole copy (right???).

The New password from March 20th shows up at
    4:51 yesterday (I don't recall editing it or saving it)
    Mar 20, 2018 at 7:21 pm
    Mar 2, 2018 at 10:48 pm (younger one? closer to the top)
    Not here Mar 2, 2018 at 10:48 pm (older one, further from the top)

Aside:
    Now the reason I said I think something got shifted more broadly is that my old master password show up in November 2017, and I didn't think it was that old. Could be wrong, but I have changed this password three or four times because of that Sumo Logic issue. That said, treat that as anecdotal nonsense for now because I can't recall properly or prove it to myself.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

@AlwaysSortaCurious: Hmm. Interesting. Just to make sure we're on the same page here:

Was updating the master password through my profile. Dont think i did anything else.

If you changed the Master Password through the 1Password.com website, the login item would also be updated then. But:

1) Yes. I changed it there. Through the Change master password UI on the web site.
    2) Yes, but I said not now.

In that case, there shouldn't be password history for that. Am I misunderstanding?

So far, I'm not seeing anything unexpected here and haven't been able to trigger any odd behaviour with previously used passwords. We'll continue to look into this though.

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

@brenty Yes. There used to be a password history item there and it is now gone. (also, just for you, ;) home network, not corporate one).

So I've changed that password a few times and somewhere along the line and this last time it disappeared with that last password change.

In fact, the "new password" not a weekish old, show up in the item history from Mar 2, 2018 at 10:48 pm which is way odd.

so, happy to a webex if you want (not sure how that might help unless it is during a password change test?), and have waited to try and do a new password change until you or @MikeT direct it to see what shakes out.

Probably a really obscure bug somewhere, since no one else is complaining or noticed, but I found it (yeah me? :( )

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @AlwaysSortaCurious,

Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce the issue. I did both Not Now and Update and none of them resulted into missing password history.

Can you try to reproduce this with a new but separate testing account on 1Password.com to avoid getting your own account locked out.

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

Sure. I'll give it a whirl. I have a secondary address I can use to create an account. Maybe during commercials tonight.... lol. beats me why it happened, but I will use the same network and laptop.

• MikeT
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi @AlwaysSortaCurious,

I'd suggest opening the 1Password console when you investigate this: open 1Password and go to the Help Menu > Troubleshooting > Show Console. This is the near real-time logging system we have, keep an eye on it as you reproduce this.

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

Will do.

• MikeT
    Options

Thanks!

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

No joy. Not sure I can reproduce it. That the history is gone (or not visible?) seems to be a given. I could change the password to main account through the web ui and see what happens? Let me know.

Thanks!

• MikeT
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi @AlwaysSortaCurious,

No joy. Not sure I can reproduce it.

Does that mean you've tried to reproduce it and item's password history remains?

That the history is gone (or not visible?) seems to be a given.

If it is not visible, it means it is not in the item itself. Password History is a custom section that we append to your item and automatically append the old password field to it each time you change your password. It is not different from other custom section and fields you add yourself.

You can only recover from this by copying the old password via item history and manually add it in the current item itself to save it.

I could change the password to main account through the web ui and see what happens? Let me know.

That is the step we're following based on your statements, we changed the password for the account on 1Password.com web app and 1Password prompts to save. Saving it didn't cause it to lose password history nor did manually changing it in 1Password 7 for Windows.

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

I was unable to reproduce the situation where changing the password in the new account blanked out the password history/

I went into my old regular account and changed the password from password A to Password B and back to Password A and the history is retained and now shows in the account (hey who knew it would force me to resign in any way on my mobile devices!)

I know it's an odd one, and I will no doubt accidentally type the master password into a user id field in the near future and have to change it yet again, will pay close attention to the steps in case it shows up again.

sad# we couldn't find it.

• MikeT
    Options

Definitely 😫. We wouldn't want you to not trust 1Password to store your data like that. We'll keep an eye on it.

This discussion has been closed.