1Password 7 Mac Beta and Firefox?

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Can we use 1Password 7 Beta with Firefox or do we have to wait for a future release?

When I click on "Install Browser Extension" in the 1Password 7 Preferences Safari opens https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

When I open this link in Firefox instead (and select "Enable betas") Firefox installs the 1Password Beta 4.7.1.2 extension. However, using the cmd-\ shortcut then opens 1Password 6 instead of Password 7...

Comments

• Hi @XIII ,

It should work, and the extension should install itself now. Here's what I recommend:
    1. If 1Password 6 is running, hold down option and click on the menu icon, and Quit.
    2. Do the same for 1Password 7.
    3. Quit FireFox.

Now, launch both 1Password 7 and then Firefox.

If you do not see the extension icon in the Firefox toolbar, go to Add-Ons in the Tools menu, and make sure it is enabled.

Then give it another try. Let us know if you have any more issues. if it tries to launch 1Password 6 again, try zipping up 1Password 6 and repeating these instructions.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Yes, now it works. But only after compressing 1Password 6 and moving the v6 application to the trash.

Otherwise 1Password Mini of v6 would appear, asking me to log in to 1Password...

• rudy
    Options

@XIII,

Definitely don't recommend having both installed at the same time, FireFox/Chrome will find that 1Password 6 mini and 1Password 7 Extension Helper will be competing for dominance on writing our the Native Messaging JSON file.

1Password 7's Safari App Extension (SAE) will always uninstall the legacy Safari Extension if it finds it, so none of the browser communication pathways are expecting to find both 6 and 7.

Rudy

• Hi XIII ,

Glad to hear it's working! Yes, the issue is that the extension needs to be able to launch either version for those customers running 6 or 7. So, if you have v6 and v7 available, it might choose the wrong one.

Just for others reading, sorry for the error. You still do need to install the extension if you don't have it already. If you already have it, you don't need to reinstall for version 7.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.