Keeping 1Password outside of /Applications causes Mini to not work

Options
Kristaps
Kristaps
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi all!

I'm extremely excited to try out the new beta of 1Password 7 and have managed to overcome some of the hurdles already mentioned in this forum (app crashing when importing from iCloud etc). However there is one issue that I had hoped 1P7 would fix, coming from 1P6.

You see, for personal reasons I want to keep my 1Password.app (and all my other 3rd-party apps) within ~/Applications and not /Applications. This was entirely unsupported with 1P6 due to the architecture of the main application and the Mini, but after reading release notes for 1P7 ("Single process architecture") I hoped that I could now keep the 1Password application outside /Applications. It appears not, but I would love for it to be possible.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-1
Extension Version: 7.0.BETA-1
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

I'm with you on this one. I'd love that too!

Corentin

• Hi @Kristaps ,

Can you describe the issues you are having with 1Password in ~/Applications? "Single Process" architecture means that the 1Password application and 1Password mini are no longer separate applications, making database lookups, decryption, etc. much more efficient. I don't believe that is relevant to the location.

One thing to note, 1Password can not run from the Downloads folder due to macOS’ App Translocation security feature.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• Kristaps
    Kristaps
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin! That was exactly my thinking, regarding the architecture change.

When I tried to run 1P7 from ~/Applications, the app itself worked fine and the Mini worked fine within the menubar. However using the Mini keyboard shortcut had no effect (Mini did not appear). Moving the application back to /Applications and relaunching resolved the issue so it feels like it's related.

• Hi Kristaps,

Thanks for the info. That "shouldn't" matter, but I'll check on that. Also, make sure you don't have any other copies (especially version 6) running, as that might interfere.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Hi again,

I was informed by a coworker, that the issue you experienced was likely due to the new architecture used to connect with Safari. Unfortunately, validation of the connection to Safari requires a check on the app in /Applications, so we do recommend storing it there.

Regards,
    Kevin

• Kristaps
    Kristaps
    Community Member
    Options

For shame, I was looking forward to keeping it in user directory. Oh well, thanks for checking it out!

• wxkeith
    wxkeith
    Community Member
    Options

Bummer. I haven’t tried the beta yet, but I do the same. At work we don’t allow our end users admin privileges on their computers (policy), but I do encourage installing any of their own software in ~/Applications.

• Ben
    Options

I believe all other functions of 1Password should work fine if installed in ~/Applications, but the browser extensions will not.

Ben

• davidwb
    davidwb
    Community Member
    Options

Ben - I initially installed the beta in my User/Applications directory on my work computer - I prefer to keep my personally purchased applications there. As you say, the browser extension didn't work which, frankly, is a deal breaker. In fact, other than manually copying and pasting the account name and password, I couldn't use 1Password at all. That killed the deal altogether so I reluctantly installed it in the Applications folder.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @davidwb. At present 1Password must be installed to /Applications for the extensions to work. I’m not aware of any way around that.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.