1Password addon button in Firefox 55.0 is displayed but greyed out...

Options

Hi there,

The 1Password addon button in Firefox 55.0 is displayed but greyed out. I have tried reinstalling the add on and restarting the PC (running Windows) but this has not solved the problem.

Thank you in advance!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:firefox 1password addon

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kerry1234: It sounds like you may just need to get the latest 1Password app and extension there, as both will be required to work with Firefox going forward:

https://1password.com/downloads/
    https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

If you're still having trouble, let me know which versions you have and if you're getting any errors when trying to install.

• jsyk
    jsyk
    Community Member
    Options

Confirming. I saw the greyed out still on 54.x.x of Firefox, then FF updated to 55.0, still grey. Reinstalled addon version 4.6.9

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jsyk: Thanks for getting back to me! Glad to hear that Firefox and the extension are up to date. Can you tell me which OS and 1Password versions you're using?

• jsyk
    jsyk
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Ah, updating the 1password app fixed the issue. Went from 6.7.1 to 6.8 on Mac OS. Might be nice to have some sort of warning message about updates needing to match.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

Thanks for letting me know! Unfortunately I think that would be pretty annoying to bug users about, as it is generally the case that you'll need to be up to date for things to work. And 1Password does notify you of updates after all. In this case, it was a pretty major change between Firefox, 1Password, and the extension the likes of which we probably won't see again for years. So you shouldn't have any further issues. But you're always better off staying up to date so that you're not missing out on any fixes or improvements in either 1Password or the browser. Cheers! :)

• jsyk
    jsyk
    Community Member
    Options

It just can be confusing when you don't realize one of the components has auto-updated while the other has not. Quick, easy fixes though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Totally! I actually had to update my Firefox extension manually. I'm sure it would have gotten around to it on it's own, but it does tend to take its sweet time. No matter what, we're here for you if you need us. :chuffed:

• caliber_s
    caliber_s
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem. I had to reset my PC this morning to factory settings and, as a daily necessity, reinstalled 1Password (4.6.2.625) and the Firefox browser extension (4.6.9). The add-on is greyed out, and 1Password 4 is activated and functional. Thoughts?

• BBob
    BBob
    Community Member
    Options

I too had an issue with the 1Password not working after updates. When Firefox and 1Password both updated today the extension ceased to work. I verified Firefox, 1Password and the 1Password extension were all current versions. I had to go in and manually switch from Web Socket to Native Messaging. It works normal now that I did that. Open 1Password, Help, Advanced, check Native Messaging

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @caliber_s,

Could you please do the following:

1) Update to the latest version of 1Password 4, Firefox, and the extension, which all support Native Messaging:

https://1password.com/downloads/
    https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

2) Close Firefox.
    3) Go to 1Password 4 > Help > Advanced and make sure that you have Native Messaging enabled there.
    4) Go to 1Password 4 > Help > Restart 1Password Helper.
    5) Launch Firefox and authorise the browser.

Let me know if it works for you after that. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• caliber_s
    caliber_s
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Greg, that worked! Native Messaging was not enabled by default, and I believe that was the culprit. Much appreciated!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry about that. Native Messaging is enabled by default for most people, but it wasn't for me either since I'd been running the beta. Anyway, glad to hear you've got it working now. Cheers! :)

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. This issue happened when I updated to 4.6.2.625 on the Windows version. I have never and would never think of going to Help -> Advanced options.

I started googling and found these discussions. Mine was set to use Websocket protocol. I am not sure if that was always the case prior to 4.6.2.625 but whatever it was, the last update either introduce a misconfiguration or if Websocket protocol was always the default, its broken the browser extension in the last update.

Just saying...something smells fishy.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @laugher, we are really sorry for these troubles. The thing is that the previous versions of 1Password 4 for Windows did not have Native Messaging, so you were using Websocket. You can read more about these changes in our blog here:

Introducing native messaging for the 1Password extension

Please let us know if you have any additional questions about it. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• kerry1234
    kerry1234
    Community Member
    Options

native messaging has fixed my problem too - many thanks!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kerry1234: Great news! :+1: Feel free to contact us anytime in the future. Thank you!

• jestech
    jestech
    Community Member
    Options

Just installed Firefox Quantum (57) and thanks to this thread was able to get it to work on it. Thx @Greg!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad that helped! We're here if you need anything else. :chuffed:

• KenBonny
    KenBonny
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

I just installed Firefox Quantum as well, but the icon is greyed out for me.

1PW: Windows 6.7.457
    FF: 57.0 (64bit)
    FF extension: 1Password Beta 4.6.13.1

I have restarted 1PW, FF and my whole PC, but it's still greyed out.

When I installed the extension, 1PW never asked me to pair. So when I go to the 1Password desktop app, I see Chrome as paired browser, but not Firefox.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @KenBonny,

Thank you for getting in touch! Do you have Native Messaging enabled in 1Password 4 on your side? Please check it and give it another try. Thanks! :+1:

• KenBonny
    KenBonny
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using 1PW 6. :)

• @KenBonny: For the moment, there's still a setting to enable Native Messaging in 1Password 6 as well, so it's worth checking. You can find it in Settings (gear icon) > Options > Advanced on the stable version and 1Password menu > Settings > Advanced on beta. Check the boxes to enable Native Messaging for both Chrome and Firefox, restart your browsers, and see if that gets things working.

Let us know if those settings are already enabled and we'll take a closer look if needed. :+1:

• KenBonny
    KenBonny
    Community Member
    Options

That fixed my issue. Thank you for your help. :) A+

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KenBonny: I am sorry I missed that in your initial post! :blush: Anyway, I am glad to hear that the instructions from Kate worked.

Please feel free to contact us anytime. I promise, I will be more attentive next time! Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• KenBonny
    KenBonny
    Community Member
    Options

Don't sweat it, problem solved. :) You guys see a lot of tickets/questions, I understand that after a long day (or night), you glance over some stuff quite quickly.

• thospe
    thospe
    Community Member
    Options

Just installed Firefox Quantum (57) on Win10 / 1PW-4 and thanks to this thread was able to get it to work on it. You saved my day ! :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KenBonny: :+1: :)

@thospe: That is what threads are for! Thank you for keeping us posted, we are glad to hear it worked. Feel free to contact us anytime. :chuffed:

Cheers,
    Greg

• jprofetajr
    jprofetajr
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg I followed your instructions and it works now. Thank you for your support!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jprofetajr: Great news! :chuffed: :+1: I am glad to hear that you've found my instructions here. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with your questions about 1Password, we are always ready to help.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.