Multiple Chrome profiles and filling [OPM7 beta regression]

jswanner
jswanner
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I have multiple profiles (now called "People") in Chrome: one for personal stuff and one for work. So, I always have a window opened for each profile/person, both profiles have the same 1Password Extension version installed.

The Chrome extension will work flawlessly for all the windows/tabs of one profile, but mostly doesn't work for the other profile. The extension popup opens in the misbehaving profile, I can search for items, and copy values from it, but that's it. If I try to use the extension to fill in a form (with either the keyboard shortcut or clicking in the extension popup) it does nothing. Actually, what it tries to do is performed the desired action in the other (working) profile. As in, if I have the same site as active tabs in both windows and use the extension to fill in the form from the misbehaving profile, the form is filled in other (working) profile. Also, if I try to use the keyboard shortcut to open & fill a page from the misbehaving profile, a new tab is opened in the other profile and the form is filled there.

I've tried restarting Chrome, but the only thing that's done so far is switch which profile the extension works with.

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-1
Extension Version: 4.7.1.2
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jswanner

Just to clarify: this works properly in 1Password 6 for Mac (stable), but not in 1Password 7 for Mac (beta)?

Thanks.

Ben

• wxkeith
    wxkeith
    Community Member

I also use 2 profiles on my work Mac, one for work things and one for personal things and I'm also noticing this in the beta. It's worked fine in 1Password 6 for Mac (release versions) for a long time. The beta seems to work reliably in one running Chrome profile, but intermittently for filling in the other. Viewing items and copying from them seems to work fine.

• jswanner
    jswanner
    Community Member

Hi @Ben,

As @wxkeith said, it all works properly with multiple profiles when using 1Password 6.

• jswanner
    jswanner
    Community Member

Not that I expected 7.0.BETA-3 to have fixed the problem -- as I suspect the problem is in the extension and not 1Password itself -- but just wanted to provide an update the the problem does still exist after the beta update.

• @jswanner @wxkeith Thanks for those details. I just did a bit of testing with 1Password 7 and two of my Chrome profiles and found a few things, but most of them are pretty expected. Do you have a window with each profile open at the same time when this issue is happening, or are you closing one profile and opening another one?

• wxkeith
    wxkeith
    Community Member

In my case, it's 2 profiles with multiple windows from each open at the same time. I've been doing it this way for a few years in the previous versions without any quirks. Worst case, if this isn't able to be fixed, I can probably use the 1Password X extension in one of my profiles if I really need the functionality in both.

• @wxkeith,

This is kind of a strange discussion because I specifically tested that installing the 1Password extension into both profiles allowed both of them to talk to 1Password. They should each spawn a 1PasswordNativeMessage process that they use to communicate with the 1Password Extension Helper;

is this what you're seeing?

Rudy

• jswanner
    jswanner
    Community Member

@Jacob: It sounds like @wxkeith and I have similar usage patterns. I generally have 2 Chrome windows opened, one for each profile, with multiple tabs per window.

@rudy: I do see a 1PasswordNativeMessage process for each profile. If I launch Chrome with just 1 profile, I only see 1 1PasswordNativeMessage process; as soon as I open a window for the other profile I see an additional 1PasswordNativeMessage process (they don't seem to go away after closing the window for a profile, but that's a different issue). The extension is able to communicate with the 1Password Extension Helper, as I mentioned before: I can see all the items in 1Password under each profile, also able to copy data from the extension under both profiles. What's broken is the form filling aspect of the extension, it seems to only work in the most recently opened profile. If I use the extension to fill in a form in the longer running profile, it'll try to fill in the form on the recently opened profile -- that is if the active tab in both profiles is for the same login, which is generally not the case, so generally nothing happens in the longer running profile when I try to have the extension fill in a form.

• wxkeith
    wxkeith
    Community Member

@rudy I see two 1PasswordNativeMessageHost processes fire up after I launch Chrome. Both profiles are running the beta extension (4.7.1.2). 1Password items are displayed in both profiles when I click the extension icon in the Chrome toolbar, but auto filling on a page only works in one profile.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's the last profile that loaded that seems to successfully auto fill. That is, if I launch Chrome and a Work profile window launches, the extension will auto fill fine in that profile until I bring up a window in my Personal profile. Then only the Personal profile works for auto filling.

• @jswanner,

I'll file an issue to take a look at the behavior under 7. It most probably won't quit the processes when you close the windows, Chrome and FireFox both have similar behavior in that regard, they keep the processes alive as long as the browser is alive. We don't really have much control over that. Quitting those processes will likely trigger the extension in the browser to try and re-connect again, which will cause the browser to re-launch the our NM process.

Rudy

• jswanner
    jswanner
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

@rudy,

Cool. I'm far less concerned about that process not going away when I close all windows for a profile, since I generally always keep a window open for each profile. And, I should probably mention: all the 1PasswordNativeMessageHost processes properly quit when I quit Chrome altogether.

It's really the broken form-filling functionality that I'm concerned about.

• @jswanner,

filed as #270.

Rudy

ref: apple-270

• jvinding
    jvinding
    Community Member

I use multiple chrome accounts at the same time, one for my personal stuff, one for work.
    When I installed 1pw 7, it appears to have upgraded the 1pw extension on one of those accounts, but not on the other. That made it so whenever I tried to open a page via the extension (either by key-command or by clicking the 1pw button), it always opened in the account that had the upgraded extension.

I manually removed the extension from the Chrome account that didn't upgrade (sadly, i failed to grab the extension version number before doing so, but it was definitely different to the other account's version), then installed it from the 1pw browser preferences screen. Now the Chrome account that originally was working ceased to function at all. I could not fill pages at all. Both accounts now run version 4.7.0.90 of the extension

Steps to reproduce

1. Install Chrome 65.0.3325.181
    2. install 1Password 6
    3. Log into Chrome
    4. install the 1pw extension
    5. Go to "People" > "Add Person" and add another Chrome account
    6. install the 1password extension for that person.
    7. Install 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-4 (70000004)
    8. Click on the 1Password extension button in Chrome for one account, and choose a site.
    9. Do the same with the other Chrome account

Expected

The site would open in a new tab in the current window / Chrome account.

Actual

The site always opened in the window for a specific Chrome account.

Steps to reproduce (continuing)

1. Manually remove the extension that did not upgrade
    2. Re-install the extension from 1Password 7's "Browsers" preference tab
    3. Visit a page in one Chrome account's window
    4. Use 1pw to login
    5. do the same with the other Chrome account

Expected

1pw would fill in the log in information in either window.

Actual

1pw would only fill in the info on the newly upgraded page.

1Password Version: 70000004
    Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
    OS Version: 10.13.3
    Sync Type: folder

• Hey @jvinding! Thanks for asking about this. We're investigating some issues with secondary and tertiary Chrome profiles, so I'll add this report to the discussion internally. Hopefully we can track down what's going on. :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

So it is a regression in the 1Password 7 beta and given the massive under the hood changes that took place if this is the only issue after our own testing then I'm somewhat happy. That isn't to say it isn't an issue that needs fixed, just when you make huge changes there's always the concern of what might have been missed. It will undoubtedly be a frustration for those that use multiple Chrome profiles but it will be addressed. Thank you for ensuring this was caught during the beta phase.

• rsngt
    rsngt
    Community Member

HI everyone

I've just installed the Beta and am having this same issue with the extension only working for one of the identities/people.

I have three identities I use, each in a different window, and each with one or more tabs in the window.

If I try to autofill from the extension, it does nothing unless I'm in the "favoured" identity.

If I choose "Open and Fill" from the extension then, irrespective of which identity's window I am in at the time, Chrome switches to the window of favoured identity's tabs and does the "Open and Fill" in there.

Interestingly, across my two Macs, each has a different "favoured" identity. I'm assuming it's related to which identity was in use in the browser when the extension was originally installed?

I've been using this approach with 1Password 6 for ages with no issues, so it's new with the new beta.

Happy to provide any additional information that will help track this down.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rsngt,

Thank you for the offer of assistance but on this occasion we won't need to bother you with questions or ask you to perform a number of tests. I've filed a report and the developer most likely to correct this believes they know precisely where the issue lies. It should hopefully simply be the case that you find everything starts working properly in a new beta once the developer gets a chance to focus on it. I'm hopeful that it will be soon :smile:

• alexhoug
    alexhoug
    Community Member

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same issue as the OP and others here. It occurs every time I unlock 1Password 7 and attempt to fill a password in the second profile (whichever one I use second). I can resolve the issue by turning the Chrome extension off and on again (not uninstalling).

macOS: 10.13.4
    1Password: Version 7.0.BETA-9 (70000009)
    Chrome: 65.0.3325.181
    Extension: 4.7.0.90

How can I track issue #270 referenced previously?

Best,
    Alex

• @alexhoug,

Thanks for letting us know. The only external issue tracking we have is through the beta release notes:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7

The actual bug tracker is internal (private). I hope that helps!

Ben

• alexhoug
    alexhoug
    Community Member

Totally makes sense. Thanks @Ben!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hopefully we'll have a beta where this is fixed soon.

• dunni
    dunni
    Community Member

It seems to work for me now, though i didn't find anything specific in the Release Notes for Beta 10. Any chance it got fixed and just forgotten in the Release Notes?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dunni,

It doesn't look quite fixed yet. I'm currently seeing filling being broadcast to all tabs. If you open up two profiles with the extension and load the same sign-in form in both do you also see the fill instructions when one profile is active being mirrored in the other? It will require the same page in both as the extension has a sanity check not to allow filling into frames or pages that don't match the domains in the Login item. That means the behaviour I'm observing won't be obvious if you have siteA in profile 1 and siteB in profile 2.

• dunni
    dunni
    Community Member

You're correct, if i open the same site in both profiles, both are filled.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dunni - OK, thanks for confirming. :+1:

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member

Came here to look to see if anyone else was having this problem. I thought maybe my Chrome 1P extension version was wrong, but cannot find any info regarding a Chrome extension specific to 1Password 7.

macOS: 10.13.4
    I'm running 7.0.BETA-10 (70000010)
    Chrome extension 4.1.7.1.4

Like others, I can temporarily resolve by toggling the 1P extension off/on.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wagnerone: You're using the right extension. I'm glad that workaround helps you in the mean time, but we'll get this fixed.

• jswanner
    jswanner
    Community Member

Version 4.7.1.4 of the extension fixed my problem.

Granted, if I have the same login page active in two profiles, the extension fills out both forms. It's a bit weird, but it's better than what was happening before!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Haha I agree. We'll see if we can work around that, but in the mean time I'm glad that helps. Cheers! :)

• mlebarron
    mlebarron
    Community Member

For me it now opens every profile whether I had it open or not :( still working on reliably duplicating it but it's happened three times so far.

This discussion has been closed.