Can I use 1Password in my Mint account to access all my bank accounts?

Mint is an accounting service that needs access to my different financial accounts to sync my financial info. Mint continually updates my $ info from each bank and credit card. How do I get my new 1Password passwords into that service?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can I use 1Password in my Mint account to access all my bank accounts?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Stagew8t! I'm not quite sure what you're asking us. I'm minimally familiar with Mint, but if you have financial information credentials saved in 1Password, you can copy/paste them into wherever they need to be in Mint. Are you being asked to provide these credentials each time you use Mint? Or does it save your logins?

• Stagew8t
    Stagew8t
    Community Member

The main login is saved, but I need a separate login for each of the accounts that mint accesses on my behalf, which, should match the login for the same list of accounts on their own web pages.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Stagew8t - 1Password isn't designed to allow you to fill in login information into pages that aren't for the same URL as the one in the Login record. In other words, when you visit your financial institution, you save three main things:

1. The URL of the login page
    2. Your username or email address
    3. Your password

Sometimes, there's additional stuff, but those are the bare minimum which allows 1Password to "know" you're trying to visit THIS site and enter THOSE credentials. Fast-forward to Mint's site. You need to enter your financial institution's login credentials for Mint to work...but the reason 1Password can't just enter them for you is that it's doing its job, protecting you: https://mint.com/ is NOT the URL for your bank or investment house, so to prevent phishing, 1Password does not recognize this as a legitimate place to fill those credentials.

You can, of course, copy and paste any credentials you have saved in 1Password into...well, anywhere you like. But 1Password won't auto-fill them for you into a URL that's different from the one you have saved in 1Password -- this is by design, not accident. Mint should save the credentials you enter for your financial institution(s), but if it ever requires re-entry, I'm afraid you'll need to do that manually. Hope this explanation was useful in describing why. :)

• Stagew8t
    Stagew8t
    Community Member

Thank you for the robust explanation! I understand the reason 1Password won't do an internal "autofill". I think I also have a bit of a workaround, albeit a tad clumsy: 1) use 1Password for all my login info on all sites, financial or not; 2) open a tab w/ my 1Password account; 3) open a tab with my Mint account, use 1Password to login and IF there are any internal connection issues with Mint, I can copy & paste from 1Password to the individual Mint links.

Usually there aren't many Mint glitches, but there is just one of the "sub accounts" that is misbehaved. that financial account requires caps, lowercase, numbers and some symbols. So far the 1Password generated passwords do not include a symbol. When I add a symbol 1Password creates a different "memory" of that password, then I end up with multiple login reminders that do not distinguish one from another so I can pick one and then edit/remove the other. Any suggestions on that?

THANK YOU!

Mark

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Stagew8t - what platform are you doing this on? You didn't give us that information in your initial post. :)

• Stagew8t
    Stagew8t
    Community Member

Sorry! That info usually gets sent or included & I didn't think to write it in.

Chrome browser on an asus/windows 8.1 laptop.

Thank you!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Stagew8t - Ah, a Windows warrior! OK, then, you'll want to go in 1Password to Settings > Browser in which you'll see a section called "Autosave" - which should be turned on. That means 1Password will automatically save new usernames and passwords. But there's a box there for "except on the following domains." Into that, you can type either mint.com or the name of the financial institution in question, if you find yourself doing this on their site as well, and that should prevent 1Password from re-saving each new entry. It will mean if you ever need to change the actual sign-in for mint.com itself, you'll want to be careful to save the password and make sure it's changed, but assuming your login for Mint is robust already, you shouldn't need to do that often.

• Stagew8t
    Stagew8t
    Community Member

Chrome browser on an asus/windows 8.1 laptop.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Stagew8t - huh? Was that maybe an inadvertent double-post from above? Did you see my reply immediately above yours?

• Stagew8t
    Stagew8t
    Community Member

Oops! Installing on my phone, had fat finger syndrome.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Stagew8t - no worries! 😊 Just thought perhaps you couldn't see my reply for some reason.

This discussion has been closed.