Connecting Family Member giving "No response received from server"

Options
Jeff Laing
Jeff Laing
Community Member

I'm trying to hook up my two sons to 1Password and neither of them is able to connect to their vaults, despite all other connections working.
I've seen an earlier post on this topic written off as "security software in the way", but I've disabled Little Snitch (which is my only firewall software) and it didn't help.

When I look in the Console, I can see an error message (which summarised says):

OPAESKey: ... E decrypt: Decryption failed: ... Code = 506 "Decryption failed, bad HMAC"

(which is the message also shown here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/79965/1p-fails-to-unlock-and-errors-with-a-decrypt-bad-hmac-failure)

Your servers must be ok because they were able to connect their iPhones, the problem is on their 10.11.3 (El Capitan) MacBooks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jeff Laing
    Jeff Laing
    Community Member
    Options

Aha, this may turn out to be an old version problem. One of them has just upgraded 1Password to the latest - I forget which one he was on, but it was before the big "you can't automatically update this one, you need to do it manually" version that happened a year or so ago. (Yes, he doesn't update as often as he should).

Nevertheless, the new version is not showing the issue. I need to chase son#2 and see if that fixes him as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for letting us know. Glad to hear updating did the trick! And indeed, in addition to earlier changes with 1Password and macOS itself, we periodically make improvements in the app to go along with those we make on the server, so be sure to stay up to date. Version 7 will help a lot with that too. Hopefully all is well with the other one after updating too, but we're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.