How long should it take 1P to unlock? (went from seconds to minutes)

felciano
felciano
Community Member

Hi all --

I've been noticing increasing slow downs in the 1P unlock time over the past few months and am wondering what affects that performance. 1P used to unlock in few seconds, rarely going above 15 seconds. It now routinely takes > 60 seconds, and sometimes takes several minutes, especially from the Chrome 1P extension.

Last fall we migrated from 1P individual accounts, synched via Dropbox, to 1P for Families using the AgileBits hosting service. We have 4 vaults (1 private, 3 shared), and about 2000 1P records/items, the vast majority of which are in the private vault. I don't recall this slowdown kicking in at the time of the migration, but it definitely didn't happen before.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this slow down, or how to diagnose / debug it?

Thanks,
Ramon

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: AgileBits

Comments

• drattner
    drattner
    Community Member

I've been having the same problem--for several months now. I wrote to the devs and received a reply that they are aware of the bug and are working on it. That was some weeks ago. Seems like a fundamental problem that comes close to rendering the app nearly unusable is taking a long time to correct.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@drattner: I'm sorry to hear that. While I don't see any conversation history with you to be able to look into it at all, unfortunately that's generally the case: if we cannot reproduce a problem, it's often nearly impossible to fix it. And while I have heard a few similar cases of "slow unlock", the cause, when we can find it, often differs between users and is specific to their machine. But not knowing anything about your case or the correspondence there besides the three sentences you wrote above — I have no idea which OS you're using even — it isn't going to be helpful for me to speculate. The one thing I can tell you is that we're working on some changes under the hood to consolidate some things, which may make some edge cases like this go away in the future due to using a more integrated approach. But I can't give you more information or time frames for unreleased stuff, nor do I have any way of really knowing if it would even remotely apply in your case without knowing the details.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I've been noticing increasing slow downs in the 1P unlock time over the past few months and am wondering what affects that performance. 1P used to unlock in few seconds, rarely going above 15 seconds. It now routinely takes > 60 seconds, and sometimes takes several minutes, especially from the Chrome 1P extension.

@felciano: Thanks for letting us know. Can you tell me more about this? You said "especially from the Chrome 1P extension", and that makes me wonder if you see something different in Firefox or Safari. That may help us track down what's causing this on your system.

Last fall we migrated from 1P individual accounts, synched via Dropbox, to 1P for Families using the AgileBits hosting service. We have 4 vaults (1 private, 3 shared), and about 2000 1P records/items, the vast majority of which are in the private vault. I don't recall this slowdown kicking in at the time of the migration, but it definitely didn't happen before. Any thoughts on what might be causing this slow down, or how to diagnose / debug it?

Since the app is exactly the same i neither case, it won't be related to membership versus standalone. But there were some fairly significant changes to web browsers last year, so it is possible it could be related to that. Do you see any difference after restarting your Mac?

• felciano
    felciano
    Community Member

Hi @brenty restarts sometimes help, but never fully restore it. That is, there have been cases where it takes > 3 minutes to unlock. A restart usually gets me back to 15 seconds or more. But that still is far longer than the few seconds it used to take.

I've been testing this exclusively via logging in via the menubar item, and I still see the issue, so I don't think it is primarily browser-based (although there may be multiple contributions).

What's the best way to debug this? Is there some sort of logging or trace mode to turn on?

Ramon

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hi @brenty restarts sometimes help, but never fully restore it. That is, there have been cases where it takes > 3 minutes to unlock. A restart usually gets me back to 15 seconds or more. But that still is far longer than the few seconds it used to take.

@felciano: Thanks for letting me know. Indeed, that's not normal at all. It should take between 0 and 5 seconds depending on the speed of the machine. I'm sorry that's happening to you. :(

I've been testing this exclusively via logging in via the menubar item, and I still see the issue, so I don't think it is primarily browser-based (although there may be multiple contributions). What's the best way to debug this? Is there some sort of logging or trace mode to turn on?

The best thing to do will be to reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#DCH-68422-273]

If you’re reading this and you are not felciano, this Support ID is for felciano only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: DCH-68422-273

• felciano
    felciano
    Community Member

Done! Thanks @brenty. BTW I confirmed that the issue is still present in the v7 beta -- was hoping that might obviate the need for the diagnostics but no such luck.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for confirming. Let's continue the conversation via email to avoid confusing back and forth here and there. :)

This discussion has been closed.