I want to set a more secure pin for a website that wants up to 15 digits

AndyF63
AndyF63
Community Member

The pin can only use digits, but the maximum length I can create using the password generator appears to be 10, which only gives an amber strength. Is there any way of getting round this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:15 digit pin

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@AndyF63 You might try using the password assistant in the macOS Keychain Access App. It will give you random generated numbers up to 31 places.

• AndyF63
    AndyF63
    Community Member

Thanks, I’ll try that but I was hoping that there would be some way to do it in 1Password as I want to stop using keychain.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@AndyF63 - no, @vplewis is correct, the maximum number of digits in 1Password's generator is ten, mostly because they're considered sort of "accent" characters -- after all, there are only ten numerals, which means the entropy for a digit-based PIN or password is substantially less than one using the full alphanumeric-plus-symbols set of characters. So we discourage using primarily or exclusively numbers. But there should be any number of random number generator apps available to you if you want to create really large, numeral-only "passwords."

• AndyF63
    AndyF63
    Community Member

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.