Uninstall 1Password 4?

tiantai
tiantai
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello,

Now that I've installed 1Password 7 beta for Windows, I'm wondering if I should (or could) uninstall 1Password 4 for Windows.

Would there be an issue if I uninstalled version 4, and if not, how do I uninstall it?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @tiantai,

Thanks for writing in.

We strongly recommend you use 1Password 4 to back up your original vaults that you're using in 1Password 4 that may not be in 1Password 7 in case you use multiple vaults. You should also ensure an extra copy of your 1Password backups exist off your drive, like to an external drive and to a remote backup drive/service like BackBlaze if you use something like it.

1Password 7 is still a beta program and unexpected side effects can occurs, your backups are the best way to recover from this.

It is your choice to uninstall 1Password 4, there is no reason you must uninstall it right now if you want to only use 1Password 7. Uninstalling 1Password does not remove your data on drive, so you can always reinstall 1Password 4 later and pick up where you left off.

You uninstall 1Password 4 just as you do with any other programs, through the Control Panel > Uninstall a Program option.

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

OK. Let me add more details:

I also use 1Password 7 beta for Mac (previously using 1 Password 6 for Mac). I wonder if I still need to make this extra backup since the opvault is on the Mac side too (and that should have back up already).

I only added the Windows 1Password 2 or so years ago when I moved to an office that exclusively used Windows, so my work laptop is Windows, but my home machines are all Macs.

Now that I have 1Password 7 beta for Windows running, is it safe to also open version 4 for Windows?

• Hi @tiantai,

It does not hurt at all to have an extra copy. It's better to be safe than sorry but yes, 1Password on macOS also backs up your vaults by default.

Now that I have 1Password 7 beta for Windows running, is it safe to also open version 4 for Windows?

Yes but don't run them both at the same time. Exit 1Password 7 before you open 1Password 4 and same vis versa, exit 1Password 4 before you open 1Password 7.

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member

Thanks!

• You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.