General questions about 1Password

ScarySulley
ScarySulley
Community Member

I have some general questions about 1Password. I've been using 1Password standalone for a number of years now, but I know things have changed and would like to educate myself on how things work now. Apologies in advance for all the questions!

1) The last standalone version of 1Password was 4.x.x for both Mac and Windows, right? Which both are still available for download on the downloads page.

2) What are the current versions of 1Password for both Mac and Windows? And are those only available as a subscription?

3) It says that a 1Password membership includes the app for all devices: Mac, iOS, Windows, and Android. However, what if you already have all those versions in particular for iOS and Android? If I was a new customer and bought a 1Password membership, how would Apple App Store and Google Play Store know I have a membership? Are there different standalone and subscription/membership versions of the iOS/Android apps? Sorry I know that's a loaded question, but hopefully that makes sense.

4) Previously 1Password standalone had the Customer Center where we could access our info (email, name, etc.), licenses, and links to download the apps which is longer available. Do 1Password memberships have a some sort of main area where we have access to that same info? Also, I know you probably can't say things about future plans, but will there be some sort of Customer Center returning for the standalone app?

5) Can I use my existing standalone 1Password vault/database? Also I know there are/were two different vaults. I can't find the thread, but there was a newer vault/database introduced with a newer version of 1Password. One of the differences was that the newer one encrypted everything, whereas the older one only encrypted sensitive data (no encryption URLs for example). Is this newer vault used in the membership?

I have more questions, but let's get through these first.

Thanks! :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @ScarySulley

Welcome back to the forum. I think we’ve chatted before — I recognize the name. :)

1) On Windows, yes, v4 was the last to support standalone usage. Version 6 is current, and requires a subscription. 1Password 7 for Windows will support standalone usage again when it becomes available, but I don’t have any information on when that might be. 1Password 6 for Mac is the current latest version and it supports standalone usage.

2) I believe I covered this under #1 but if you have further questions feel free. :)

3) There is a spot to sign in to a membership account within each of the apps. The apps are the same regardless of how you use them. The apps can now be downloaded at no cost in the app stores. Once downloaded you’ll establish your purchase.

4) There are similar functions for memberships where applicable. We don’t have plans to bring back the Customer Center for licensing.

5) You can import from either an agilekeychain (older) or opvault (newer) into a membership, but those files wouldn’t be used anymore.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member

Hi @Ben,

Welcome back to the forum. I think we’ve chatted before — I recognize the name. :)

Yes, indeed you have helped me here before!

1) On Windows, yes, v4 was the last to support standalone usage. Version 6 is current, and requires a subscription. 1Password 7 for Windows will support standalone usage again when it becomes available, but I don’t have any information on when that might be. 1Password 6 for Mac is the current latest version and it supports standalone usage.

Was there a version 5 for both Mac and Windows, or was that skipped? Also it seems as though new customers are not able to purchase the standalone app? Or is that incorrect?

2) I believe I covered this under #1 but if you have further questions feel free. :)

Yes, thank you, it was.

3) There is a spot to sign in to a membership account within each of the apps. The apps are the same regardless of how you use them. The apps can now be downloaded at no cost in the app stores. Once downloaded you’ll establish your purchase.

Okay, so with the exception of version 6 for Windows (since that's available only as a subscription at the moment), all versions of the app allow you to sign in to use it as a subscription, otherwise if you don't sign in it'll be used as the standalone version...?

4) There are similar functions for memberships where applicable. We don’t have plans to bring back the Customer Center for licensing.

Okay, thank you for the information.

5) You can import from either an agilekeychain (older) or opvault (newer) into a membership, but those files wouldn’t be used anymore.

So we can import our current data from the standalone app into the subscription version of the app. What kind of vault (it sounds like it's different) do the subscription and standalone apps use now?

Some more questions...

6) Where are all the vaults stored? Obviously if you're syncing, it has to be online somewhere (well unless you're syncing on your LAN). If you sync with 1Password or Dropbox servers, is there a local copy of the vault as well? Lastly, if you sync with another service like Dropbox, is a copy of the vault still stored on 1Password servers?

7) 1Password.com allows you to sign into your account and access your data similar to how it was with 1Password Anywhere from the past, correct? But this is only possible if you choose to sync your data with 1Password servers, but if you choose another sync option, such as Dropbox, this is not possible, correct?

8) If someone does choose the subscription way, either a new or existing customer, are they able to switch to the standalone version at a later time?

I'll stop there for now. Thank you again for your patience in answering my questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ScarySulley: Hello again! Ben wasn't wrong, but I did want to clarify a few things:

Version 7 should be treated as "current" for both macOS and Windows, as, while they are not finished, they are both available as a public beta: Windows beta, Mac beta. Licenses for version 6 of either are not available for sale (and never were for Windows), and since version 7 would be a paid upgrade from that I wouldn't recommend buying version 6 today anyway. We'll have more to share on both counts in the near future. :)

Was there a version 5 for both Mac and Windows, or was that skipped?

1Password for Mac version 5 was released in 2014. 1Password for Windows did not have a version 5 release, as version 4 was released in 2014, with version 6 in 2016.

Also it seems as though new customers are not able to purchase the standalone app? Or is that incorrect?

Standalone licenses are now available only through the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, right within the app.

Okay, so with the exception of version 6 for Windows (since that's available only as a subscription at the moment), all versions of the app allow you to sign in to use it as a subscription, otherwise if you don't sign in it'll be used as the standalone version...?

Correct. And the same is true of 1Password for Windows version 7.

So we can import our current data from the standalone app into the subscription version of the app. What kind of vault (it sounds like it's different) do the subscription and standalone apps use now?

Correct, but 1Password.com accounts don't have a "vault format" like you'd be using for local vaults, as those are only used for syncing with 3rd party services like Dropbox, or with a local folder. 1Password.com stores encrypted data in a database on the server, and the native apps cache that locally so it's available offline.

6) Where are all the vaults stored?

All vaults in a 1Password.com account are encrypted and stored together in that account the server.

Obviously if you're syncing, it has to be online somewhere (well unless you're syncing on your LAN). If you sync with 1Password or Dropbox servers, is there a local copy of the vault as well?

With Dropbox, that's the (legacy) AgileKeychain format sync container, or OPVault. This is also used when syncing a local vault with another local folder. In all other cases, no external sync container is needed.

Lastly, if you sync with another service like Dropbox, is a copy of the vault still stored on 1Password servers?

No. 1Password.com and Dropbox are two separate services.

7) 1Password.com allows you to sign into your account and access your data similar to how it was with 1Password Anywhere from the past, correct?

Yes, but only in the palest comparison. Though it was useful in its time, 1PasswordAnywhere was very rudimentary: no updating data on the fly, no editing, and only worked in certain browsers in certain configurations. You should definitely check out 1Password.com to see the difference. :)

But this is only possible if you choose to sync your data with 1Password servers, but if you choose another sync option, such as Dropbox, this is not possible, correct?

1Password.com vaults are always only stored in 1Password.com, but you could use a separate local vault and sync that with Dropbox. It just isn't something we recommend since that means giving up a number of key benefits of 1Password.com: namely, web access, and not having to deal with sync configuration.

8) If someone does choose the subscription way, either a new or existing customer, are they able to switch to the standalone version at a later time?

Yes, but this isn't recommended for a few reasons: they'd have to buy a license for every platform they want to use, and local vaults do not support the data structures (especially linking and Documents) of 1Password.com. So migrating the data may be manual and/or lossy to some extent. Add to that the fact that if you have more than one vault in 1Password.com, that will be multiplied by those.

I'll stop there for now. Thank you again for your patience in answering my questions! :)

Sure thing! And if you think of any more, you know where to find us. :)

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

First off I want to thank you and @Ben for being patient in answering my questions!

Version 7 should be treated as "current" for both macOS and Windows, as, while they are not finished, they are both available as a public beta: Windows beta, Mac beta. Licenses for version 6 of either are not available for sale (and never were for Windows), and since version 7 would be a paid upgrade from that I wouldn't recommend buying version 6 today anyway. We'll have more to share on both counts in the near future. :)

But if I already have a license that will work with the latest versions of the standalone apps, that should be good, right? Your reasoning is because there's no sense in purchasing 1Password 6 standalone and then purchasing 1Password 7 standalone, correct?

Standalone licenses are now available only through the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, right within the app.

1Password is no longer available through the App Store (for the Mac)? Or did I read that wrong?

Correct. And the same is true of 1Password for Windows version 7.

So signing into 1Password turns it into a "subscription" and adding a license to it turns it into a "standalone app" right? So does that mean if you were to buy both the subscription and the license for standalone, you could "switch" between the subscription and standalone?

Correct, but 1Password.com accounts don't have a "vault format" like you'd be using for local vaults, as those are only used for syncing with 3rd party services like Dropbox, or with a local folder. 1Password.com stores encrypted data in a database on the server, and the native apps cache that locally so it's available offline.

So a database and a vault are technically two different things? So if someone uses the 1Password.com/subscription version and chooses not to sync, but only uses a local folder, would that be a 1Password.com database or a vault? I know that's getting technical, but I just want to know. ;)

1Password.com vaults are always only stored in 1Password.com, but you could use a separate local vault and sync that with Dropbox. It just isn't something we recommend since that means giving up a number of key benefits of 1Password.com: namely, web access, and not having to deal with sync configuration.

So it seems to fully take advantage of the benefits of 1Password.com subscription accounts, such as web access, you have to store your vault/database on 1Password.com servers. What benefits of 1Password.com do you still have if you sync another way such as with Dropbox?

Yes, but this isn't recommended for a few reasons: they'd have to buy a license for every platform they want to use, and local vaults do not support the data structures (especially linking and Documents) of 1Password.com. So migrating the data may be manual and/or lossy to some extent. Add to that the fact that if you have more than one vault in 1Password.com, that will be multiplied by those.

Are 1Password 6/7 capable of exporting data as .1pif, Comma Delimited Text (.csv), and Tab Delimited Text (.txt)? You could import the data (such as from the subscription version) with these options, right?

I'll stop there for now. ;)

Thanks!

• You’re very welcome.

But if I already have a license that will work with the latest versions of the standalone apps, that should be good, right? Your reasoning is because there's no sense in purchasing 1Password 6 standalone and then purchasing 1Password 7 standalone, correct?

1Password 7 on both Mac and Windows is a new purchase separate from any existing license purchases. Unless you’ve purchased a standalone license very recently it will not be valid for v7.

1Password is no longer available through the App Store (for the Mac)? Or did I read that wrong?

It is available there for subscription customers. As of writing standalone customers will need to use 1Password for Mac downloaded from our website.

So signing into 1Password turns it into a "subscription" and adding a license to it turns it into a "standalone app" right? So does that mean if you were to buy both the subscription and the license for standalone, you could "switch" between the subscription and standalone?

Not quite. Membership (subscription) and standalone also refer to how/where your data is stored, so it isn’t quite as simple as flipping back and forth. A change in either direction requires a migration process. It is fairly painless, but as Brenty mentioned the membership -> standalone route can be a bit manual and there are things membership supports that standalone does not so those cannot be transferred 1:1.

So a database and a vault are technically two different things?

Yes, but we’re going down a rabit hole here and it isn’t a particularly important distinction to make. Technically all of your 1Password data lives within a single database on your device — it isn’t split out into “vaults” in the file system. At least not until you enable syncing. What people think of as “vaults” in terms of standalone usage are sync files. The 1Password.agilekeychain and 1Password.opvault files (technically folders) fall into this categry. They aren’t the master copy of your data, except in 1Password 4 for Windows which does not use a centralized database and does still use the sync files as the master.

So if someone uses the 1Password.com/subscription version and chooses not to sync, but only uses a local folder, would that be a 1Password.com database or a vault? I know that's getting technical, but I just want to know. ;)

That isn’t an option. Sync is a core part of 1Password membership. It can’t be turned off. You can opt not to store any data in any 1Password.com vaults but frankly that defeats much of the purpose.

So it seems to fully take advantage of the benefits of 1Password.com subscription accounts, such as web access, you have to store your vault/database on 1Password.com servers.

Correct.

What benefits of 1Password.com do you still have if you sync another way such as with Dropbox?

Basically just billing. Instead of paying for licenses you’re paying a subscription. Probably not the ideal solution, and you’re paying for service that you aren’t using.

Are 1Password 6/7 capable of exporting data as .1pif, Comma Delimited Text (.csv), and Tab Delimited Text (.txt)? You could import the data (such as from the subscription version) with these options, right?

Yes. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.