Cloud backup?

jlg
jlg
Community Member

Hello, I have been using 1Password 6.8.8 locally on my Mac for some time now. My main concern with this is data redundancy should my Mac crash, or even get stolen. I am backing up with Time Machine to a NAS, but I read comments from other users facing challenges with retrieving 1Password data files. I just realized that there is now the possibility to sign up for a family account and sync data across multiple ios devices. This sounds like a pretty good option for my family. My understanding is that I first need to create an account, then follow the "Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account" instructions, and take it from there. My only question is where will my 1Password data be stored then: will it be stored in the 1Password / agile bits cloud? Does this mean that I do not need to worry about backing it up, that it will be safe and that I will still be able to retrieve my data from a new device should mine get stolen for instance? in other words is this family account a full blown cloud based service? I would appreciate if someone could clarify this for me. Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jlg: Yes! The answer to all of your questions is a resounding "yes"! And thank you for caring about this stuff. Sometimes I feel like I'm alone in that. :lol:

To elaborate a bit, 1Password memberships of all kinds include automatic — and redundant — offsite backup for everything you store in your account. All of the data you save there is encrypted locally on your device and the server receives the encrypted blob and never the "keys" to decrypt it. So you're right on: even if all of your devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed, all you need is your account credentials and you can sign in on a new one to get your 1Password data back. Also, for slightly less catastrophic cases, item history lets you restore a previous version of an item if you make a change you later regret.

I think that covers it, but let me know if you have any other questions. And thank you for giving me an opportunity to talk about something that's very dear to my heart. I hope that someday no one will have to worry about losing data again. :)

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member

I didn’t know 1Password kept versions of Items. I tried to try out the capability by modifying an existing item in iOS 1Password but after saving the changes I could not find a way to display the item’s history. What am I missing?

• @ozarkcanoer

You can view item history through the web interface on 1Password.com. :)

Ben

• jlg
    jlg
    Community Member

Clear, thanks a lot for your response!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@ozarkcanoer: Yep! If you sign into your account on 1Password.com, you can select "view item history" in the details of an item which has been edited:

Cheers! :)

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member

Oh; I use the web interface to my vaults very infrequently. Guess I'll have to see this feature and what else is available that is not in the macOS app and the iOS app.

Thanks for the tip 8-) .

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ozarkcanoer: Sure thing! I use the web app infrequently as well. Hopefully neither of us need to restore items regularly...but it's there when we need it! :lol:

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2018

@ozarkcanoer

As far as features available in the web interface but not (yet) in the native apps, an incomprehensive list off the top of my head would be:

• Account recovery
    • Billing
    • Travel mode (enable/disable)
    • Vault management (beyond basic create / delete)
    • View/edit profile information (including authorized devices)
    • Item History
    • Account deletion

There are probably more, but we don’t have an exhaustive list documented. The goal is to make it such that most/all functions can be done within the apps, eventually, and we’re moving toward that goal. For example adding vaults only recently became possible within the apps — you used to have to use the web interface. So it seems a bit counter-productive to attempt to maintain such a list.

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.