Can't sync with WLAN Server after change of master password

philmcole
philmcole
Community Member
edited March 2018 in Android

Hi,

I have been syncing my Android phone over WLAN Server with the 1Password application on my Mac. I am using the latest 1Password 6.6.8 for Mac and 1Password 6.7.3 for Android. Up until recently all worked flawlessly with WLAN Server until I changed my master password in the Mac application. The next time I tried to sync my phone, it didn't work.

Specifically after opening 1Password on my phone the first time after I set the new master password (typing in the old master password because I hadn't synced yet) and starting the sync process, it asked me again for my master password to start the syncing. I typed in the new one but it didn't accept it. I also tried the old one but obviously that was wrong now. I tried it several times, rebooted the phone, deleted and reinstalled the app, but nothing helped it to accept my new master password to start syncing. Iam 100% sure that I typed the master password in correctly. Also worth mentioning is I didn't try to change it again to test if it would be working then, because I have made quite an effort to create a good, strong and memorable master password. Interestingly when the app asks for the master password to start syncing, the password hint which is displayed beneath is the correct one i.e. the new one.

I don't know if those two things, sync over WLAN Server and master password change, are related or not. I hope you can test it in your labs and reproduce my setup (i.e. set up a working WLAN sync between 1Password for Mac and for Android, then change the master password on the Mac, then try to sync with Android again).

Interestingly the safety code for WLAN Server displayed in the Mac application didn't change after I changed my master password. Maybe this safety code is somehow bound to the master password? Then it would make sense that the phone doesn't accept the new master password if the safety code is still wanting the old one.

Hope you can investigate this. Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.10.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hey @philmcole. Sorry to hear about the trouble. I'm wondering if we'll be able to take a look at a diagnostics report and see if it gives us a hint. You mentioned that you reinstalled 1Password on Android. Does this mean that you're seeing the welcome screen when launching on Android? Or are you able to view Settings in order to send a report?

• philmcole
    philmcole
    Community Member

@peri Hi, thanks for replying. Yes, since I reinstalled the app I am now seeing the welcome screen.

• Thanks @philmcole. Can you walk me through the exact steps you're taking to sync, and what the exact error message you're seeing now is? Are you still getting an invalid Master Password error when trying to initiate sync the first time?

• philmcole
    philmcole
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

@peri Yes, that is what I've said above. Start WLAN Server on the Mac, open 1Password for Android, initiate WLAN sync (wheter I'm on the welcome screen, like right now, or in the app, like before I reinstalled it, doesn't seem to matter), type in safety code displayed in Mac app, type in master password, see error "invalid master password". It's just the usual steps doing for syncing with WLAN Server, just the difference is my master password is not accepted.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@philmcole: Do you perhaps have non-ASCII characters in the password which aren't translating well between platforms?

• philmcole
    philmcole
    Community Member

@brenty Indeed I have some Umlaut in my master password. Don't they work with Android? They've worked so far with iOS and Mac.

• Good catch, @brenty! :) Indeed the Umlaut may be the problem here. We recommend using only US-ASCII characters in your Master Password as different devices interpret special characters differently. You can find more info here: https://support.1password.com/special-characters-in-master-password/

• philmcole
    philmcole
    Community Member

Alright, thanks for pointing it out. Then the issue was indeed not related to WLAN Server at all but to the difference in character handling on different systems.

• I'm glad to hear that was it, @philmcole. Let us know if you ever need anything else!

This discussion has been closed.