1P7 purchase options

Hi, I'm thrilled that you decided to offer 1P7 as a standalone license and I plan to purchase. I have the following questions though:

1. I understand that you have a special promo price for the Mac version now that the app is in beta. Will the price be increased on day one of official release? I would like to take advantage of the special price but am reluctant to do so since I don't want to entrust my passwords on a beta version of my much beloved software.
  2. I will also purchase the Windows version. I know that this question has been asked before, but dare I ask you to reconsider offering a discount for us loyal fans willing to buy 1P for both platforms?

Thank you for your time, thank you for your amazing application, your incredible support and friendly attitude, but mostly thank you for listening! I posted a lengthy article on these very forums over a year ago, explaining the reasons I would regretfully not continue using 1P since I did not agree with the subscription model and the next version of your software is now also offered as a standalone license only. If my topic and explanation played its tiny, minuscule, insignificant (by itself) part in your decision, I am grateful! Keep up the great work guys!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @cutter

We always try to take customer feedback into account. :) We want people to use 1Password because the feel it is the best option for them. We will have a sale when 1Password 7 for Mac launches, but I don’t know at this point what that sale price will be. I understand not wanting to run beta software on your production device, but we do need folks to beta test, which is why we’re offering the incentive of the pre-release sale. If you have a spare Mac or the ability to set up a virtual machine we’d definitely appreciate the help.

Thanks for the suggestion about multiple licensing purchases.

Ben

• Hi Ben,

I also have a question related to purchasing. Will there be a upgrade pricing for 1P6 users or will all prices be the same regardless of existing user vs new?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

We aren’t going to be doing traditional upgrade pricing. We will have a launch sale that we hope existing customers will take adantage of.

Ben

• edited April 2018

First, sorry if you have already answered these questions but since I just bought 1password 7 for Mac beta (standalone), I have some questions about what will be your license policy regarding 1password 7 :
    1. Is the license available then for all the systems I use (Mac/windows) or is there a "Per OS" license?
    2. Can I then use the license(s) on all my computers (desktop/laptop/pro, without the need to pay again?
    Thanks for the clarification

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited April 2018

Hi @tetardbleu

No worries, I'm happy to answer questions. :)

1. Is the license available then for all the systems I use (Mac/windows) or is there a "Per OS" license?

Licenses are sold on a per-person, per-platform, per-version basis. So, for example, 1Password 7 For Mac (for one person). That license could be used on any number of Macs by the same individual. It is not necessary to purchase for each device.

1. Can I then use the license(s) on all my computers (desktop/laptop/pro, without the need to pay again?

As long as they are all the same platform (e.x. Mac) and you are the only person using 1Password on them, then a single license will work.

We really highly recommend at least trying out 1Password membership. It significantly simplifies this, in addition to providing the best experience for actually using 1Password. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• edited April 2018

Thanks for the answer.
    I have to admit I'm on the side of the "pro standalone.” I already (shortly) explained why in another thread, but I could change my mind as there have been interesting evolution, regarding 2FA, for example.

It's not especially your software but I'm a little bit frustrated by the "subscription model" that is happening in every category of software and services. I understand it when the services add content every day, like Spotify/Netflix or when we are using distant cloud services, for example. In your case we are, when using your cloud, of course, but as we have (thank you for that) other options yet...

Have you considered offering a "lifetime subscription,” billed only once ? Maybe it's crazy but I think I would be ready to pay even a relatively high price to have access to the benefits of a membership without paying every month/years. I seem to remember that some VPN/HOSTING/CLOUD providers have been offering limited spots with a lifetime subscription from time to time. For my passwords, I would be totally ready to take one (spot). No idea of how much it should cost. I let the maths to you guys!

Just an idea I've had, reading other posts of users that are reluctant to use the new membership versus standalone like me. I was wondering if it was a good idea to share it with you. Now it's done (don't hate me please ! :) ) !

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited April 2018

A "lifetime" one-time payment isn't a viable model for us. 1Password is a full time job for a growing number of people. We're here every day -- either improving the software / service, interacting with customers, or making sure things are running smoothly. We want to be able to continue to attract the kind of talent that has brought 1Password to where it is, and to be able to continue to move us forward. In addition there are other recurring costs besides labor like the servers that run the 1Password service. They don't operate on a one-time payment and as such one-time payments make for a very questionably viable business model. We want AgileBits to be successful for a good long time to come so that we can continue to deliver high quality software and service.

The closest thing we have to what you're asking for is gift cards. You could buy a number of gift cards up front and apply them to your account so that you've got years of service paid up front:

Give a gift of strong, secure passwords - 1Password

That's actually what I did for my account. While they are great for sharing 1Password with other people, they can also be used on your own account.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• I didn't know about gift codes. thanks you for the idea .

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file