1P7: Tag usability improvements?

devtrope
devtrope
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I'd like to use tags a bit more than I have in the past, mainly so that it's much easier to "review" by category or concern.

Suggestions:

Add bulk update or bulk tagging?

I'd like to set them up in the sidebar, then drag/drop the keywords to the items after narrowing the focus via searching. Select all and tag. Boom! ;) Maybe when you drop, a popup asks for "replace" or "merge". (Mandatory replace would work for me.)

For example, search for all "bank" stuff then set them all to "finance/bank" at once.

Maybe even a select items, right click, then edit tags (with the ones not shared by all selections slightly dimmer, like in Finder).

I'm a lightweight with only 250 or so items, but it's still daunting having to edit every single one of 'em to get tags set up. And then if I change my mind...

Create and re-arrange tags directly in sidebar.

If I have a bunch of tags, say, "finance", "login", "account", "docs", I'd like to be able to drag "login" "doc" and "account" to "finance" and have everything appropriately re-orient.

I'd like to add tags to the sidebar directly so that I can see the "whole" of things, then (as suggested above), drag/drop to apply them appropriately, or right-click on search-results to "remove-tags" or "edit-tags": I don't know.

I'm not after a specific implementation, just something that makes bulk-editing metadata-ish things a bit easier. Something other than editing each individual item (with edit, click to tags row if visible, type, click save, etc.).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @devtrope! Sorry about the confusion on bulk tagging. What you described is already supported, at least for bulk tagging. You can select as many items as you'd like, then drag them to the tag in the sidebar to give them that tag. To remove the tags, you need to manually edit each item, though.

If I have a bunch of tags, say, "finance", "login", "account", "docs", I'd like to be able to drag "login" "doc" and "account" to "finance" and have everything appropriately re-orient.

I'd like to add tags to the sidebar directly so that I can see the "whole" of things, then (as suggested above), drag/drop to apply them appropriately, or right-click on search-results to "remove-tags" or "edit-tags": I don't know.

I'm not after a specific implementation, just something that makes bulk-editing metadata-ish things a bit easier. Something other than editing each individual item (with edit, click to tags row if visible, type, click save, etc.).

Thanks for the feedback! We'll keep that in mind. :)

• devtrope
    devtrope
    Community Member

Ok. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.