New install, need to restore from previous backup -- but "Restore" menu item is missing??

Options
Bmuse
Bmuse
Community Member
edited April 2018 in Mac

Hi,

MacBook died (ugh), so I'm installing fresh on a new MacBook. I have my previous 1P data on my external cloned drive -- the Application Support folder that was on my computer. (Previous was a standalone installation.)

There's a "Data" folder with .sqlite files, and a "Backups" folder with lots of backups. I can see the most recent backup, with the correct number of items; the filename is "1Password 2018-03-28 21_04_08 (1 profiles, 77 items, 0 folders, 1 attachments).1p4_zip".

In the Knowledgebase, an article says to restore backups by using the File > Restore menu command. But on my newly-installed Mac app 6.8.8, there is no "Restore" -- only "Import," which doesn't recognize the backup file. ("Import" also doesn't recognize any of the .sqlite files.)

I've tried "Open With" on the backup file, which lets me select 1Password.app but then opens into Preferences and does nothing.

So I have the Mac app installed now, have signed into my new 1Password account, and need to get my previous data into the app. I've been going in circles on the Knowledgebase and can't get anything to work.

Please help!!

Thank you,
B

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bmuse - so, you're almost there. You'll be in one of two conditions here:

1. If you visit 1Password Preferences but can't see the Backups pane there, then you'll need to visit Preferences > Advanced and check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts." You'll be asked to enter the Master Password for your 1password.com account. Once that's done, you should be able to see the Backups pane. Proceed with the below instructions.

2. If you can see the Backups pane of 1Password's Preferences, you can click on "Find Backup," navigate to your saved backup and click "Add Backup." 1Password will copy your backup file into the standard backup location on your new Mac, and you'll see it in the window in Preferences > Backups also. Click to select it in the Backups window, then click "Restore" to restore it. 1Password will lock, and you'll need you previous Master Password to unlock it. You'll also have to sign into your 1password.com account again (assuming it wasn't part of your previous backed-up state). Do this as usual, in the Accounts pane of 1Password Preferences.

Once you've got both your older data restored AND your new 1password.com account signed in, you can move your older data into your 1password.com account. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.