"Remember Me/Keep Me Logged In" Checkbox

Options

There is an old thread here:

https://goo.gl/Rvg4fG

The end advice is:

"manually save a new Login", and that works. As per tech support, "Doing this allows 1Password to refresh everything it "knows" about the page (including whether you had checked the "Remember Me" box when you saved the Login)." And that is true. It even creates additional fields and options that may have been added to the site over time.

However, is there any way you can make it so you can manually save a new log in BUT choose "update existing" and have it create all of the additional fields, instead of having to manually create a NEW login? It makes a difference because I add a of of extra custom fields and notes to each login, like the registration e-mail, a customer number, if there is one, etc., which I have to manually copy over to any new log-ins for the same site/account.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Sinister,

We do have an “update existing” function available, however I don’t believe it will do what you want in this case. There are trade-offs either way, but I’d be happy to bring the subject up with development and see if they would be willing to reconsider their approach. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sinister: Indeed, "Update Login" is meant to only save the new password, since that's the typical use case. And generally it's helpful to be non-destructive and leave things as they are...unless there's a problem, in which casein may be best to start with a clean slate anyway. It's an interesting point your raise though, and something we can evaluate. But, for the most part, I think it's better for us to hear about website issues and try to address them rather than spending time on adding additional options for saving/updating, as those can add even more confusion and trouble for a lot of users. I like the concept though. Can I ask why you'd want the old password for an old item?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's always best to keep the old passwords since they are currently kept anyway.

@Sinister: Hmm. I'm not sure I follow you here...

In addition to the fact that for all of the other reasons mentioned it is a PITA to crate an entire new log-in.

Really? Oh wait...

I have a lot of custom fields on ea=ch of my log-ins. Member number, e-mail used, any notes, how the name appears on there (sometimes they use middle initials, sometimes middle names, sometime nos no middle names, member since dates, etc.

Okay, you got me there. I also often use the Notes section extensively. So I think that's a good reason to contact us about it if you have trouble with a site. We may have a workaround for you that doesn't involve creating a brand new login. Always room for improvement. :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @Sinister,

Long term it would be useful if we can find a way whereby the UI (User Interface) offers this but without causing any confusion over only updating a password which is what the current option does. Having seen what impact even a single word can have on the interface and people's perceptions we do have to be careful. What I definitely want to avoid is throwing a new option in without due consideration only to discover we've generated a huge amount of support from people who didn't really want to do what this would do and have potentially lost data as a result. Imagine you have a Login item where you need a third piece of data and you don't remember it because 1Password remembers it for you. What if the wrong kind of update is selected on a change password form. The entire web form details is lost (except in backups) as we've overwritten it with the fields on a change password form. This is what we need to try and avoid when considering adding another kind of update. It sounds simple but making sure everything is clear to the majority tends to be a lot more complicated than you would first think.

I do appreciate where you're coming from though and why it would help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sinister: Not necessarily. While it isn't the thing we hear about from users most (generally that's login filling), 1Password sometimes prompts users to save/update in situations where it shouldn't. Having both "save new" and "update existing" options there is confusing enough, especially if the user wasn't expecting any prompt, and you're suggesting we add more options to that prompt. I think lil bobby said it better than I ever could:

It sounds simple but making sure everything is clear to the majority tends to be a lot more complicated than you would first think.

It's definitely something we'll continue to evaluate, but something like this would need a lot of careful consideration in addition to any design, development, and testing it would entail. It's just not something we're going to add unless we can make sure it solves more problems than it causes. Thanks for understanding.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sinister: Not to put to fine a point on it, but "update existing" is intentionally non-destructive. This is fundamentally at odds with trying to re-save web form details and the rest, which is going to be, by definition, from a completely different page than originally saved, or you wouldn't need to make any changes like that; otherwise 1Password would still be able to fill the same as it always did. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood. It just isn't something we have plans for right now, but certainly it's something we'll continue to evaluate — especially if we here from anyone else who wants the same feature. Have a great weekend! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That discussion was about how the 1Password extension used to ignore checkboxes, but I see your point. I just don't think that we can reasonably devote time to something that a literal handful of people have brought up in as many years. As you know, there are much more frequently requested features which are also far down the list as far as what's most requested, and hence our priorities as well. :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Not sure if that's a new feature vs currently having less than the total expected functionality of an existing feature. I always expected it to update whatever was changed.

@Sinister: I follow your logic, it's just not something that we've heard from many others; and it's always dicey changing how things have worked for over a decade. We'd have to have a very good reason for doing it, and we'd really have to figure out a way to present it understandably. Talking about "web form fields" is a great way to get people to not pay attention — present company excluded, of course. :)

So does that mean you'll appease me with multiple local vaults om Android finally??!!

Selfishly, I wish you'd stop asking, because I hate being the bearer of bad news: we have no plans to add support for multiple local vaults to 1Password for Android. :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

@Brenty , regarding the first, you HAVE been changing. Starting with accounts, when local vaults have been working well for over a decade, so got you there.

@Sinister: Not really. Plenty of people even now use 1Password without an account. We didn't change things on them, or that wouldn't be the case; everyone would have had to switch.

Regarding the other, NEVER. It wouldn't be too much trouble and it would solve 99% of my issues. I feel I really need that.

I hear you. Not a problem. I don't mind hearing the request so much as having to tell you "no" when I know how much you want a "yes".

• Jacob
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like the discussion here has run its course and we're waiting for things to change. Let's spend our time discussing other things. :)

This discussion has been closed.