Feature Request: HomeKit Pass storage

Options
patsfacts
patsfacts
Community Member

Loving the 1Password 7 beta. Would love if you could add a category for HomeKit Devices, where we could store the Setup Codes for our devices. Often they are on a sticker on the box of the item itself, which may be in a hard to reach place; this can be a real pain when having to re-add devices.

As an addition, if you could grant 1Password access to your HomeKit configuration, the app could detect what smart home accessories are already connected. From here you can find the correct accessory description which includes the room assigned through HomeKit, then reference your setup label to manually type in the eight-digit code.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@patsfacts: We don't have plans for a dedicated HomeKit category or integration with HomeKit, but you can use Secure Notes and add custom icons and fields to achieve something similar. Or save images of the labels, if you're lazy like me. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

There's an App for this... (HomePass)

I believe a recent update even allows scanning the codes using the camera on your device (I've not tried this App myself).

However, I manually add these codes in Secure Notes (with the tag "homekit"), as suggested by @brenty.

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• Gadgetman72
    Gadgetman72
    Community Member
    Options

As much money as we spend on supporting 1Password. Maybe it's time to add at least basic support for HomeKit.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Gadgetman72: 1Password isn't meant to do everything. It's a password manager, and if you have logins for some HomeKit stuff, you can totally use it to store those today. It may be that we branch out more in the future, but if you value it please support us by paying for the features that 1Password has today, not hypothetical future versions. We only want to sell our products based on their actual capabilities. Thanks for understanding. :blush:

• Gadgetman72
    Gadgetman72
    Community Member
    Options

I (we) have paid for the features that it has today, yesterday, and past. You want us to pay for a subscription or the high cost of a single license. Just add a simple template... Techie users are fine with manually doing it.. But there are novice users who are not savvy enough to do it... It's just common sense and I understand it is not common to you...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Gadgetman72: Look, if you want to be rude, you can go somewhere else. You're welcome here, so long as you can adhere to the guidelines:

Forum guidelines

With local vaults, all of the templates are built into the vault format. This would literally require updates of all of the apps, and would break backward compatibility with any versions older than that. I don't think we can justify making a change like that at this stage when literally two people have asked for it.

What we would like to do though is make it possible for users to create custom categories through 1Password.com in the future, as it is more flexible in that regard. That's also more justifiable, as it benefits more people, and we cannot possibly add all of the various categories people request ourselves anyway. But being snotty isn't going to make it happen faster. It would still require that all of the apps support it, and a lot of work to be done there and on the server side. So that's more of a long-term goal.

• cruise2001
    cruise2001
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Well said.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I didn't enjoy it. :(

This discussion has been closed.