Secure Notes take very long (30+ sec) to open

Options
ferebee
ferebee
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I just migrated from 1Password 6.8.8 to 7 Beta 4 (standalone license). Now when I select a Secure Note, only the gray background shows, along with creation and modification times. After about 15 seconds, a spinner appears, and it takes more than 30 seconds in total before the white round rect with contents appears.

1Password Version: 7.0 Beta 4
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ferebee

Is this happening with all Secure Notes or just a subset? Does it happen if you create a new note?

Ben

• ferebee
    ferebee
    Community Member
    Options

It seems to happen with all Secure Notes, including a new note I just created as a test. This is on my iMac 2013 running 10.12.6. My vault is synced to my MacBook Pro 2014 running 10.13.3, and there I see only a very minor delay, less than a second. (I assume that’s normal.) Maybe I need to reboot?

• Ben
    Options

It couldn't hurt. :)

Ben

• ferebee
    ferebee
    Community Member
    Options

Indeed, a reboot fixed the issue. Interesting—other apps were working normally.

• Jacob
    Options

Fantastic! If it happens again, let us know. :)

• ferebee
    ferebee
    Community Member
    Options

So this thread explains it: 1Password7 is using WebViews to render Secure Notes, as a way to support Markdown.
    On a freshly booted system, there is a sub-second delay when displaying a Secure Note in 1Password7. Annoying, but tolerable.
    However, once my Macs have been running for a couple of days, WebKit seems to bog down. When I was seeing the 30+ second rendering times for Secure Notes, Safari had become noticeably sluggish. I didn’t think much of it, as that seems to be the norm these days, at least for me. (Maybe my WebKit is mining Bitcoin in the background?) And web pages didn’t take anything like 30 seconds to load, or else I would have rebooted days ago.
    If this is what the performance of Secure Notes is going to look like, I question the wisdom of using WebViews. There must be another way. Microsoft Word 5.1a did not perform like this, and supported formatted text.

• Ben
    Options

@ferebee

I can say with a fair level of confidence that Safari / WebKit bogging down simply because of system uptime is not the norm. While I appreciate your perspective I think perhaps a more realistic solution would be to fix the issue on your system causing that to happen, vs using a different technology in 1Password to render markdown. :)

Ben

• ferebee
    ferebee
    Community Member
    Options

That’s a fair comment. OTOH, it does take a quite noticeable amount of time to render Secure Notes on both my recent-model Macs, 10.12.6 and 10.13.3, even after a reboot. Certainly tolerable, but definitely annoying when scrolling through a list. I don’t think I have that much data in 1P: 2000 objects including 400 Secure Notes, many of them just a few lines, none more than 2 or 3 KB.
    As soon as a I get the chance, I’ll test this on a clean install of the OS to rule out confounding factors, but this is just not what I consider snappy performance.

• Jacob
    Options

Thanks @ferebee! I'm going to let the team know about the noticeable delay that I see when opening an item that has contents in its notes field, since that's definitely an issue. It takes a second or two to render the notes field, and it glitches while it's loading, which just isn't a good experience. Let us know how things go on your Macs with the latest version of macOS, and the clean install as well.

ref: apple-349

• ferebee
    ferebee
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! I appreciate that. I just updated to Beta 5 and looked at the release notes, and this from Beta 1 caught my eye:

NEW
    The magic starts before you even begin. 1Password 7 comes with a brand new architecture under the hood that was built for speed. Everything from launching to unlocking to filling your information into your browser is now lightning fast.

;)

• Ben
    Options

That should indeed, generally, be the case.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.