1Password Local Vault - Early 6.x edition

So I reinstalled 1Password local vault a couple months ago and it picked up my database from DropBox right away on my Mac and Win10 build. All was well. I then bootcamped my Mac the other week and found that I had the option to download version 4 or use the newest online 6 build. Wanting to keep the local vault i opted for v4. Now from reading the forum i gather that the early version of 6 was released and supported local vault to ease the transition into the current cloud option. My problem with not being able to download this early version of 6 that supported local vault for a short period of time is that 6 had a 'Passwords' section that 4 does not have. So installing version 4 works but i'm missing information! The whole idea of this seems backwards. The latest local vault version supported features that 4, now the only version i can download, does not..

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

Hello there @mxpx5555,

Thank you for reaching out! I am sorry for the confusion with different versions of 1Password on Windows.

Am I right to understand that you have added your local vault to one of the earlier versions of 1Password 6 for Windows, but then went back to 1Password 4? Are you running both versions of 1Password on your PC now? Please let us know.

The thing is that the manual syncing for vaults in Dropbox in the previous versions of 1Password 6 were added specifically for migrating your local vaults into 1Password.com account without having to install the Dropbox client first. We've gotten rid of this because people thought this meant local vaults were supported but it wasn't.

Once we understand your current setup, we will work with you to resolve this complicated issue. Looking forward to your reply. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• mxpx5555
    mxpx5555
    Community Member

Thanks for the response Greg! Basically I have 3 machines with 1Password - 1 Mac 2 PC. I installed early v6 on the one PC and Mac with the local vault option. Weeks later I went to install on the 2nd PC and only had options for v4 (local vault) and v6 online. With the v4 edition its, at the very least, missing the 'Passwords' category that was listed in v6 thus those entries don't appear anywhere.

To make matters more confusing I saw I had an upgrade available on the Mac which is still running v6 with local vault last night so I held my breathe and upgraded. It upgraded to I think v6.4.6? and low and behold the upgraded v is still local vault? So are there local vault v6 updates still coming?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

Thanks for the response Greg! Basically I have 3 machines with 1Password - 1 Mac 2 PC. I installed early v6 on the one PC and Mac with the local vault option. Weeks later I went to install on the 2nd PC and only had options for v4 (local vault) and v6 online.

@mxpx5555: I'm not sure what you're saying here. We haven't changed the options. 1Password for Windows version 6 supports 1Password.com accounts; version 4 supports local vaults. There are no other 1Password apps for Windows, so those of course are the "only" options for download.

With the v4 edition its, at the very least, missing the 'Passwords' category that was listed in v6 thus those entries don't appear anywhere.

Nope. Select "Generated Passwords" in the View menu do display them in 1Password 4. :)

To make matters more confusing I saw I had an upgrade available on the Mac which is still running v6 with local vault last night so I held my breathe and upgraded. It upgraded to I think v6.4.6? and low and behold the upgraded v is still local vault? So are there local vault v6 updates still coming?

We haven't discontinued local vaults. They're simply not available in the new Windows app yet. That's coming in version 7. ;)

• mxpx5555
    mxpx5555
    Community Member

Thanks for the response. What I was referring to about the 'Passwords' category is an actual Category that is not present in v4:

At this point that's not a huge issue. I had to login to my Mac side and I could right click on each entry under the Password category and could click convert to Login.

As for the version confusion I think I looked at my Mac and saw it was running v6 and the interface looked different than the v4 and for some reason i was remembering incorrectly that my one PC build had been running v6 when in fact I checked and it is indeed v4. Sorry for the confusion on that front.

• @mxpx5555: The Generated Passwords category brenty was talking about enabling in 1Password 4 is the same as the Passwords category in 1Password 6 for Mac, just named a bit differently. These are records of passwords you've generated and the sites they were generated on, just in case your Login item for that site doesn't get saved or updated for any reason and you need to recover the generated password to access your account and update your Login item. :+1:

I looked at my Mac and saw it was running v6 and the interface looked different than the v4 and for some reason i was remembering incorrectly that my one PC build had been running v6 when in fact I checked and it is indeed v4. Sorry for the confusion on that front.

No worries on this front. Version confusion isn't uncommon with a PC in the mix and it is only of many things I look forward to bidding farewell come 1Password 7. :chuffed:

• imthenachoman
    imthenachoman
    Community Member

@Greg Does that mean that 1Password 6 for Windows no longer supports local vaults? Is 1Password getting rid of local vault options?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@imthenachoman: Indeed, 1Password 6 for Windows does not support local vaults and is focused on our 1Password accounts. However, we are not getting rid of local vaults – we announced that 1Password 7 for Windows, which is currently available in beta will receive local vaults and standalone licenses support.

Please let me know if it clarifies this confusion. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• imthenachoman
    imthenachoman
    Community Member

Yes it does. I look forward to it. Thank you!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@imthenachoman: No problem! :+1: :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.