Is the upgrade meant to be this painful...?

yphoenix
yphoenix
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Upgraded from standalone v6 to standalone v7b3 - upgraded my primary vault OK, but had to manually add each of my shared vaults (shared via DropBox). As you already know about these vaults and their location on my drive, you could have/should have just imported them automagically. That needs to be fixed before release.

Comments

• Hi @yphoenix ,

It should have moved everything over. Here's what you should have seen:

1. A window displays asking if you'd like to subscribe or purchase a version 7 license.
    2. If you chose version 7 license, it should have just then shown you the familiar lock window. Upon unlock, you should have seen all of your vaults, and a window would appear to purchase the verison 7 license.

Can you describe the screens you saw when you ran it for the first time? I'm struggling to think of a situation where only one vault appeared, unless you wiped your 1Password data before installing version 7. If you did that, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• yphoenix
    yphoenix
    Community Member

I opened up 7b3, saw a splash screen. Saw that there was a link to click if I wanted a standalone license. I clicked on the subscription option because I was curious and figured I could always go back to the standalone license option. Explored the subscription options, went back via the 'back' option and the standalone license link wasn't there anymore. Oh no! OK, I thought, quit, re-launch maybe it'll come back. Nope, gone gone gone.

OK, I dug around the menus and found the "purchase option" and proceeded to purchase a standalone upgrade via PayPal. All went well, but I had an empty 1Password. I may have been prompted to link with existing wallets and I picked my iCloud one. After that I had to manually add each of my DropBox wallets.

The key here I assume is that I didn't click the 'standalone license' link right away so the upgrade process didn't go as planned.

As I have already paid for the upgrade I presume that there is no-way to go through this again. If there is I'll happily dump my 1P v7 install and go through the upgrade again to see what works and what doesn't (as long as I don't have to pay again).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@yphoenix: Yeah, definitely don't pay again. Thanks for your feedback, and willingness to troubleshoot this with us. :)

It does sound like you can get into a bad state going between those options. What I'd like you to do is first verify that you've got your 1Password 7 license. You should have this in an email and saved in your vault, but please double check. Also, it sounds like you've got your vaults in Dropbox, but just make sure of that as well. Then make sure 1Password is locked and then go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data. That should get you back to the beginning. Let me know what you find!

• yphoenix
    yphoenix
    Community Member

I don't have a copy of the license as it was paid for using the company PayPal account and thus e-mail address on file (and the name of the license) is somebody in the finance department - that is a separate bug bear with the new licensing process. Somebody in financing probably has the e-mail, just not me. It would be great if I could just extract it from 1Password itself for safe keeping but I don't see how to do that.

On the basis that I will need the license information after the reset I don't think I can proceed. If I don't then I'm game.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't have a copy of the license as it was paid for using the company PayPal account and thus e-mail address on file (and the name of the license) is somebody in the finance department - that is a separate bug bear with the new licensing process.

@yphoenix: Hmm. I'm not sure that's an issue with the licensing process so much as bureaucracy. And of course the same would be true if you purchased a license using the company account in the past as well. But on the plus side, you didn't have to pay for it. ;)

Somebody in financing probably has the e-mail, just not me. It would be great if I could just extract it from 1Password itself for safe keeping but I don't see how to do that. On the basis that I will need the license information after the reset I don't think I can proceed. If I don't then I'm game.

Did you check in your vault? When you registered the app it should have been saved there. If not, then that may be a separate bug. :)

• yphoenix
    yphoenix
    Community Member

I have an entry called "1Password 6" which contains a license file that says it was created and last modified on 29-Mar-2018 which would have been the day I paid for 1P7. A quick peak inside the file - as it is a xml file - indicates that it is our original 7 user license that we purchased back in November 2014. The "Order Information" section of the vault entry confirms this.

I did manage to find the IP7 License in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/License/ - if you can confirm that this is it I'll take a backup and try the reset.

• yphoenix
    yphoenix
    Community Member

On a whim I did the "Reset All 1Password Data" which did get me back to the beginning but there wasn't really a "hey, I just paid for v7 and I'm a v6 user, please just handle everything option"... instead I had to choose iCloud and then I think it also picked up my DropBox Vaults but I had to set up the sync again. So I tried the restore from Backup option which wasn't very helpful as I had to go find my backups (which I knew was buried in ~/Library/... so in the end I choose restore from backup having created a dummy vault. This was less painful, except that I had to setup all my sync'ing again (iCloud and DropBox - I have 14 vaults so it's a lot of setup). Also, it showed me my v7 backups, if I was upgrading from v6 to v7 I don't think it would have shown me my v6 backups.

For standalone users the upgrade process from v6 to v7 when you have more than one vault is painful. I'm an engineer so I could handle it, I suspect other friends would struggle. Sure if you have all your vaults sync'd using 1password.com I suspect (hope) that the upgrade process is painless, you just login and everything happens like magic. It should be the same for standalone users. The files are on disk, the v6 preferences etc files tell you where everything is, you should just launch, click a button saying "yes, just use my v6 files thanks", enter your master password and it just work. At least that was what I was expecting from any other upgrade. It's how it worked between v5 and v6.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Sure if you have all your vaults sync'd using 1password.com I suspect (hope) that the upgrade process is painless, you just login and everything happens like magic.

That’s indeed my experience.

On top of that the local vaults that I completely forgot about where included without any effort from my side as well (note that I did not sync them in any way; I used them for backup/comparison only).

• yphoenix
    yphoenix
    Community Member

My local vaults did turn up, the ones that were sync'd via DropBox were the ones that didn't (which as you can only sync one vault by iCloud) means the other 13 vaults that I share with work colleges, friends and family.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

I did manage to find the IP7 License in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/License/ - if you can confirm that this is it I'll take a backup and try the reset.

@yphoenix: It sounds like you already tried it, but yes that should work. But we'll see what we can do to make it easier for you in the future.

ref: apple-322

On a whim I did the "Reset All 1Password Data" which did get me back to the beginning but there wasn't really a "hey, I just paid for v7 and I'm a v6 user, please just handle everything option"... instead I had to choose iCloud and then I think it also picked up my DropBox Vaults but I had to set up the sync again.

Correct. That's the way it's always been. We just don't know how you want things setup, so we're not going to have 1Password make assumptions about that either. When you reset the app, it should start with a truly clean slate, otherwise there's no point in resetting it.

So I tried the restore from Backup option which wasn't very helpful as I had to go find my backups (which I knew was buried in ~/Library/... so in the end I choose restore from backup having created a dummy vault. This was less painful, except that I had to setup all my sync'ing again (iCloud and DropBox - I have 14 vaults so it's a lot of setup). Also, it showed me my v7 backups, if I was upgrading from v6 to v7 I don't think it would have shown me my v6 backups.

You can select backups (and vaults) from older versions. But yeah, as far as syncing multiple vaults, there isn't a way for 1Password to know right off the bat which vault you want to be the Primary, whether you want that sync'd with iCloud or something else, Dropbox for additional vaults (and the specific path you want it syncing to there), etc. That's not new. What's new is that we've largely solved the "setting up a device from scratch" problem with 1Password.com memberships. But there's just no way to automate this without a place to pull that information from. It sounds like you ran into some weirdness because you originally chose a different path when upgrading. We'll see if we can narrow that down.

For standalone users the upgrade process from v6 to v7 when you have more than one vault is painful. I'm an engineer so I could handle it, I suspect other friends would struggle.

I agree that it could be streamlined in a few ways. Thanks for participating in the beta for the new version, and providing this kind of feedback! :)

Sure if you have all your vaults sync'd using 1password.com I suspect (hope) that the upgrade process is painless, you just login and everything happens like magic. It should be the same for standalone users. The files are on disk, the v6 preferences etc files tell you where everything is, you should just launch, click a button saying "yes, just use my v6 files thanks", enter your master password and it just work. At least that was what I was expecting from any other upgrade. It's how it worked between v5 and v6.

You're conflating upgrading on the same computer with setting up 1Password on a new one. As far as upgrading from 6 to 7, that's exactly how it works. I've done it a few times myself. But when you nuke 1Password using the "reset" option, that just isn't possible, as it will be like you're setting up 1Password there for the first time. There are some edge cases with the initial setup screens we'll need to iron out though, so that you for bringing this up!

Sure if you have all your vaults sync'd using 1password.com I suspect (hope) that the upgrade process is painless, you just login and everything happens like magic. That’s indeed my experience. On top of that the local vaults that I completely forgot about where included without any effort from my side as well (note that I did not sync them in any way; I used them for backup/comparison only).

Yep. That's what I mean. If you upgrade in place, 1Password 7 just grabs the existing setup from 1Password 6, provided it can find it. Did you perhaps have different versions — Mac App Store and AgileBits Store — installed at some point? Those would have separate databases and preferences, so it's not uncommon to experience some weirdness because of that.

My local vaults did turn up, the ones that were sync'd via DropBox were the ones that didn't (which as you can only sync one vault by iCloud) means the other 13 vaults that I share with work colleges, friends and family.

Correct, you'd have to add those manually since you were starting from scratch after resetting the app. It sounds like you should be all set, but please let us know if you have any other feedback or suggestions. Thanks for participating in the beta! :)

• yphoenix
    yphoenix
    Community Member

I think the main issue is that the upgrade from v6 to v7 got confused because I initially clicked the button for payment plans instead of the “need a standalone version, here’s the link for that” (approx wording from memory) link and when I went back to the standalone payment option it asked me to pick vaults to sync when I expected it to just know from my v6 settings.

V6 version installed is from a v5 upgrade which was a multi-seat standalone version purchased directly from agilebits - this all predates team and family versions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yep. That sounds about right. We'll see if we can narrow down the cause and get this fixed up. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.