Need local vault on ChromeOS

Options

You said

"@Jon_MN: Certainly it's still very low relative to other platforms, but it will be interesting to see if this trend continues. Cheers! "

ChromeOS is the only growing OS in absolute installs. It now has over 50% of the education market with (surprise surprise), Microsoft in second place. Apple is still declining year to year in that market.

While macOS has made a tiny market share improvement against Windows, it is still in decline in both sales and install base.

While many of us are willing to trust the cloud for many (most?) uses, it is still not trustworthy for passing passwords back and forth.

Hence we need a way to use 1Password locally even without autofill. (I've tried and can't figure out how to do this.) How about a tutorial for:

1. maintaining the vault on a desktop/laptop (Windows in my case but macOS users will be interested too) as we do now
  2. all updates on the desktop/laptop
  3. copy the vault to a USB stick
  4. copy the vault from the USB stick to a SD card on the ChromeBook/Box
  5. connect 1Password on a ChromeBook/Box to the vault on the SD card
  6. repeat when the vault is updated

The only other option is to switch to Enpass.

Thanks,
Bill

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• TwoMetreBill
    TwoMetreBill
    Community Member
    Options

Oops! I must have been having a senior moment yesterday because today it connected to my vault on Dropbox just fine. Many thanks, I really don't want to switch password managers.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @TwoMetreBill,

No worries! I'm happy to hear it's working. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to reach out in the future.

I hope you have a pleasant week. 😀

-Beyer

• TwoMetreBill
    TwoMetreBill
    Community Member
    Options

Just FYI, I'm attempting to migrate from Windows to ChromeOS as a power user. Got through 2, what I thought would be, stumbling blocks today: 1Password and Dropbox. A couple dozen more to go. I expect local encryption to be the biggie, currently using Steganos Safe, with Quicken to be another non-trivial issue.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Cool, safe migrations! Unfortunately, I can't say I've ever tried either of those on Chrome OS but do let us know if you run into any issues with 1Password.

-Beyer

--
    Andrew Beyer
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.