I've really messed things up

Options
maquinn78
maquinn78
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I installed the beta, but I selected only for me when I did it, so it didn't put it in the main Applications folder, it put it under my user folder Applications folder.

I couldn't get the Safari connection to work, and I read it had to be under the Applications folder, so I drug the icon over there. Now it won't open any vault and the mini 1Password says no vaults available.

I can't move it back, because it says it's open, but I can't unlock mini because there are no vaults.

What can I do?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

As you have discovered, 1Password 7 has to be in the system Applications folder in order to work properly. In order to fully close 1Password 7 (i.e., to quit both 1Password and 1Password mini) you need to press ⌃⌥⌘Q (ctrl + alt + cmd + Q).

I'm not sure that's going to be enough to get you back on your feet so if you still have problems just post again. If you do, it'll probably be helpful to mention if you have a subscription to 1Password.com or whether you're using the stand alone version of 1Password.

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@maquinn78 - don't panic, first of all! 1Password 7 for Mac stores its data in a different place than 1Password 6 for Mac, so in a worst-case scenario, you can remove everything about 1Password 7 for Mac and start fresh by importing your version 6 data again.

Having said that, before we go nuclear on anything, try @Stephen_C's advice, and let us know how you get on.

• maquinn78
    maquinn78
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Stephen_C I'll try that. May I suggest, that if that is the case, the instillation process not ask me which way to install it? Perhaps that is a Mac thing that can't be fixed as I see it often. But if it can be fixed, that would avoid this problem. I thought it would be more secure to only let me use it when I am logged on an no one else.

• Jacob
    Options

@maquinn78 I agree that the "path to greatness", so to speak, should be clearer here. I'm going to chat with the team and see if it's possible, since the installer is one macOS uses for all types of apps, and I'm pretty sure the choice is part of that.

• maquinn78
    maquinn78
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome, thanks to @Stephen_C, @Lars and @Jacob I'm back up and running. Thank you!

• Jacob
    Options

On behalf of those great folks, you're welcome! :)

This discussion has been closed.