Permissions required to open a log-in sent

wrmweb
wrmweb
Community Member

I have a family acct on v6.8.8. When I text my wife a 1P log-in that's in my vault, it says she doesn't have permission to open it. How do I fix that?

Separately, how do I find the key is I have a family acct (bought in '14). It's not listed in my Prefs>Accounts.

Thank you,
william

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:permission

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

I have a family acct on v6.8.8. When I text my wife a 1P log-in that's in my vault, it says she doesn't have permission to open it. How do I fix that?

@wrmweb: Thanks for reaching out. Can you please clarify though? We definitely don't recommend sending sensitive information in a text message, but I'm not sure what you mean about "permission". That sounds like it's nothing to do with 1Password. You'd have to give your wife your vault and also the Master Password for it for her to access something stored in there. There are no permissions involved, only encryption.

Separately, how do I find the key is I have a family acct (bought in '14). It's not listed in my Prefs>Accounts.

It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can continue to use 1Password without an account.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• wrmweb
    wrmweb
    Community Member

Thanks, Brenty. I wasn't clear in Q1. I sent her a log-in using the sharing feature (via the arrow-box) offered by 1P, and the method I used was to text/send a message -- obviously, also part of what the app offers. Her iphone sd she didn't have permission to access it. Is that more helpful?
    Re #2: I bought a lifetime family license in '14. I checked out the benefits pg, and it's not clear what I'd get (other than travel mode) that I don't already have. Can you please clarify? (sugg: maybe lay out the data in a chart, eg with memberships in col's and features in row, and bullets to show what's included..).

Thank you,
    William

• wrmweb
    wrmweb
    Community Member

Also, for a month or two, my 1P mini (in the menu bar) has occasionally been giving me a spinning ball. (i'm on os 10.13.3). the rest of the os will be running fine, but I'll have to wait for the ball to stop. and when i try to start 1P, it won't open b/c it says it can't access 1P mini.

Do you have any ideas about how I could solve this?

Thank you,
    William

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, Brenty. I wasn't clear in Q1. I sent her a log-in using the sharing feature (via the arrow-box) offered by 1P, and the method I used was to text/send a message -- obviously, also part of what the app offers.

@wrmweb: Is this what you did?

Her iphone sd she didn't have permission to access it. Is that more helpful?

You're really going to have to be more specific. It sounds like something that has nothing to do with 1Password. When you send information in plaintext using the Share [ ↑ ] button, there are no "permissions", and 1Password has no control over either the transmission or what's done with the information by the recipient. Could you please clarify what you're seeing with this "permissions" error? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum.

Re #2: I bought a lifetime family license in '14.

While your license doesn't expire, your license is valid for the specific version you purchased. We have never sold "lifetime" anything.

I checked out the benefits pg, and it's not clear what I'd get (other than travel mode) that I don't already have. Can you please clarify? (sugg: maybe lay out the data in a chart, eg with memberships in col's and features in row, and bullets to show what's included..).

Literally everything under the header "What you get with a 1Password membership" is exclusive to 1Password memberships, with 1Password Families including all of that for each of your loved ones you invite and additionally secure vault sharing, account recovery, and user- and vault-based permissions (there are no permissions at all involved with the standalone version of 1Password).

Also, for a month or two, my 1P mini (in the menu bar) has occasionally been giving me a spinning ball. (i'm on os 10.13.3). the rest of the os will be running fine, but I'll have to wait for the ball to stop. and when i try to start 1P, it won't open b/c it says it can't access 1P mini. Do you have any ideas about how I could solve this?

It sounds like the app is damaged, or you simply have more than one installed. What do you see if you search Spotlight for "1password"?

• wrmweb
    wrmweb
    Community Member

Brenty, I'm writing back about 2 of the 3 issues mentioned above.
    1. 1P mini giving me the spinning ball: I re-installed the app, and I've had only 1 brief ball since. I'm hoping that took care of it.
    2. I decided to try a 1P membership. At some point in the process, it asked me (as best I can recall) something like, "Do you want to copy...?" I hit Yes, and it apparently duped all my ≈900 items.. How do I undo this?
    Currently, here are the vaults shown: 1) Primary, 2) Family. The Family vault includes 2a) Personal, 2b) Shared. The 'Vault for Saving' is Personal.
    Since this occurred, I've avoided adding any new data to 1P. Also since it occurred, when I use Launchbar to open a 1P login, I get a blank pop-up window (not a browser window), with the word 'Button' in the top Right.

What do you suggest about fixing issue #2 above?

Also, I'm wondering about the wisdom/need of getting a 1P membership at all. I've set up 1P for my wife, and she uses it only occasionally. I set up a Shared vault with her a year or 2 ago, but I've added very little to it, as I'm concerned about her inadvertently deleting data from an item.. What are your thoughts?
    Thank you,
    William

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    1. 1P mini giving me the spinning ball: I re-installed the app, and I've had only 1 brief ball since. I'm hoping that took care of it.

@wrmweb: Glad to hear it! :)

1. I decided to try a 1P membership. At some point in the process, it asked me (as best I can recall) something like, "Do you want to copy...?" I hit Yes, and it apparently duped all my ≈900 items.. How do I undo this?
      Currently, here are the vaults shown: 1) Primary, 2) Family. The Family vault includes 2a) Personal, 2b) Shared. The 'Vault for Saving' is Personal.

It sounds like you don't need to undo anything, just complete the migration process. What you're seeing is both the items in your original local vault (Primary) and in your Personal vault in your family account. When in the All Vaults view, you'll see the contents of both. So disabling local vaults (in Preferences > Advanced) will remove the Primary vault so that you only have the data in your account now.

Since this occurred, I've avoided adding any new data to 1P. Also since it occurred, when I use Launchbar to open a 1P login, I get a blank pop-up window (not a browser window), with the word 'Button' in the top Right.

It sounds like you're running into a known issue with LaunchBar. I believe they already have a test version available that will resolve it, if you enable that feature there. Otherwise it should be fixed in their next stable release.

Also, I'm wondering about the wisdom/need of getting a 1P membership at all. I've set up 1P for my wife, and she uses it only occasionally. I set up a Shared vault with her a year or 2 ago, but I've added very little to it, as I'm concerned about her inadvertently deleting data from an item.. What are your thoughts?

Really glad you asked, because I agree that on the face of it it can seem like maybe a not-so-great idea for the reasons you touched on so perfectly. The great thing about a 1Password.com membership is that you've got three really solid failsafes:

1. Your 1Password data (and your wife's) is automatically backed up offsite.
    2. You have item history in case she — or you! — deletes something you maybe shouldn't have.
    3. And the family Organizer you can help her recover her account if she gets locked out — and she can do the same for you as well if you make her an Organizer too.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• wrmweb
    wrmweb
    Community Member

Brenty, per the issue above, I'm still sometimes getting the spinning ball from 1P mini. Per Activity Monitor, neither my RAM or CPU are being strained, and I haven't detected any pattern of when it occurs. [1P v6.8.8. Mac os 10.13.4]
    Thoughts?
    Thank you,
    William

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wrmweb: Either the app itself is damaged, and installing fresh copy will help, or there's a deeper issue on your Mac in hardware or the OS. 1Password is fairly lightweight, and if you're seeing the "beach ball", that's because 1Password is waiting on something else. Let me know what you find!

• wrmweb
    wrmweb
    Community Member

Brenty, since upgrading to 7 (7.0.4 now), my 1P doesn't work with the browsers. Two ex's: 1) my 1P extensions in both Safari & Chrome (both newest versions) don't fill pwords. 2) clicking on links in 1P mini doesn't open them in browsers. I've restarted both browsers and iMac, plus removing and re-installing extensions in both browsers, and nothing works. Suggestions? Thank you, William

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wrmweb: Do you maybe not have the browsers and/or 1Password in the system /Applications folder? They will all need to be there in order to connect to each other.

• wrmweb
    wrmweb
    Community Member

That did it. Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! And thanks for letting me know. I hope you have a great weekend. :)

This discussion has been closed.